Switch to full style
Discussions related to music in general.
Post a reply

Re: Stars of the Lid

Thu Oct 06, 2016 8:37 pm

I agree and disagree with that message. I agree with the entitlement thing, that is definitely something I feel is too prevalent these days. However, certain types of music definitely thrive from things moving at a quicker pace, but for SOTL slow and steady is absolutely the right approach so I get where he is coming from generally. It's just frustrating when you wanna hear the studio versions of those tantilising live cuts!

Fri Oct 07, 2016 4:33 pm

I love that attitude, although I think there's probably quite a lot of work (and sacrifice and luck) involved in getting yourself to the point where you can work at that pace.

Sat Oct 08, 2016 5:48 pm

Off to get my lids mashed. Need this badly.... 8)

Tue Oct 11, 2016 3:45 am

i've only seen two set lists for this tour and i'm dying to see more.

Sun Oct 16, 2016 2:33 am

Just discovered adam's side project The Dead Texan, absolutely as amazing as SOTL's work. Strong rec!

Mon Oct 17, 2016 1:36 pm

Betterthanyourkids wrote:Just discovered adam's side project The Dead Texan, absolutely as amazing as SOTL's work. Strong rec!

Correct. Hit up the search button. There are two small threads about that project. ;-)

Tue Oct 18, 2016 12:56 am

i noticed from the youtube vids that adam has shaved his head for this tour. interesting look. when I saw them in LA he looked like a caveman.

Sun Oct 23, 2016 2:25 pm

Updating my Adam Wiltzie physical collection.

AWVFTS - Atomos clear vinyl
AWVFTS - AWVFTS vinyl
Dead Texan CD
SOTL - Tired Sounds 2015 repress
SOTL - Refinement 2015 repress
SOTL - Avec Laudenum (their best album) 2013 repress
SOTL - Ballasted Orchestra 2013 repress

Sun Oct 23, 2016 9:53 pm

Scouring the internet for old tour posters etc and found this website for a studio in Iceland.Clients include Bjork, Sigur Ros, Johann Johannsson, Brian Eno, Damon Albarn, Oneohthrix Point Never, Tim Hecker, Bonnie Prince Billy, Stars of the Lid.

Wonder how recent that was then?

Sun Oct 23, 2016 9:55 pm

Oh and here is the artist for the recent tour poster. Looks like they might still have a few going for sale too..

Mon Oct 24, 2016 7:38 am

I don't think it's that recent, it looks like its the same studio from the image they posted a year or so ago.

Mon Jul 10, 2017 3:33 pm

http://www.nts.live/shows/kranky/episod ... -july-2017

Tue Nov 28, 2017 7:13 pm

Sorry for any missed heartbeats with this bump, but this is a beautiful interview

https://www.fivequestions.me/interviews ... an-mcbride

Tue Nov 28, 2017 7:33 pm

Ha! I just came here to post that too. You're right, it's a wonderful interview. Even if you aren't a fan of the band, it's well worth a read. Beautiful.

Thu Feb 22, 2018 7:56 pm

Kranky are re-issuing Gravitational Pull vs The Desire For An Aquatic Life on vinyl.

More here

They also appear to be reissuing other SOTL and Brian McBride material on cd / download.
Enjoy.

Thu Feb 22, 2018 9:15 pm

Great stuff, not their best work, but the only one missing from my collection. For that price, it's a steal.

Thu Feb 22, 2018 9:28 pm

Exactly. Hoping we get a UK distro though. £17 P+P?!?

Fri Feb 23, 2018 10:46 am

Norman Records just emailed me to say they'll be getting a few in over here. Keep em peeled UK Lid fans.

Thu Apr 19, 2018 6:05 pm

It's here and it sounds lush.

But do watch out for tell tale signs of Lid-harm. Stay Frosty. Slow down.

Tue Mar 19, 2019 11:28 pm

I'm starting to think Avec Laudenum could be my favourite SOTL album.
Tired Sounds, Refinement and The Ballasted Orchestra have greater individual tracks, but as a whole work, Avec Laudenum is something else...it kind of flows along, each tune developing and progressing almost imperceptibly. At first it seems nothing much is happening and yet on closer listening, you can detect layer upon layer of sounds.
Just perfect.
Post a reply