Switch to full style
Discussions related to music in general.
Post a reply

Re: Stars of the Lid

Tue Jun 04, 2019 1:45 pm

Never seen this before and not sure it's been posted in here. Very cool.

phpBB [media]

Sun Jul 14, 2019 12:52 am

I heard somewhere that Brian McBride was going to put out another solo release in the near future. Hope this happens

Sun Jul 14, 2019 9:47 am

Adamord wrote:I heard somewhere that Brian McBride was going to put out another solo release in the near future. Hope this happens

Oh man I hope so too. Simply adore his solo stuff.

Mon Aug 12, 2019 12:52 am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1NJbWavdeRI

Found this upload that someone was kind enough to grace our ears with. Rare SOTL live recording from back in 2002 in Calgary

Mon Aug 12, 2019 10:47 pm

Adamord wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1NJbWavdeRI

Found this upload that someone was kind enough to grace our ears with. Rare SOTL live recording from back in 2002 in Calgary

Cheers for sharing this one. New to me I think.

Thu Feb 11, 2021 2:54 pm

Sorry to bump this, I don't have any news.

Just wondered what people's thoughts are on us getting any more SoTL music. There seemed to be a point a few years ago where there was a bit of a stirring in the ether, wasn't there, or am I imaginging it?

I thought there were a few pictures of recording equipment & an orchestra, a live 'new track' even? And then, nothing.

I bought my housemate The Effective Disconnect on vinyl for Christmas, so have been playing it a little, and then also listening back to When The Detail Lost It's Freedom. If SoTL are gone, I could sure dig some solo Brian McBride right now. For some reason A Winged Victory for the Sullen leave me cold.

What are we to do but slow down?

Thu Feb 11, 2021 5:13 pm

Yeah, they said I'm interviews a couple of times that they'd played a couple of new tracks live and that they were working on a new album... But this was in like 2015.

Their Twitter Bio, however, says "yes we still exist" or something along those lines.

Fri Feb 12, 2021 7:35 am

Those last shows were late 2016. Winged Victory have released several records since then so it seems pretty clear Adam is active. I know Brian had that awful car crash at one point, something which could alter a person's priorities I guess? At this point I'm not hopeful, sadly. But who knows? Slow down, indeed.

Fri Feb 12, 2021 5:32 pm

There seemed to be regular snippets of news a couple of years ago with SOTL recording in Iceland with Ben Frost, did anything come of that? Maybe it wasn't a new record but something else.

Any way just started watching the new Adam Curtis and judging from what I've seen so far and the trailer, it's wall to wall Brian McBride and SOTL. Hopefully this could lead to some renewed interest in them.

Sat Feb 13, 2021 7:18 pm

jcnporter wrote:There seemed to be regular snippets of news a couple of years ago with SOTL recording in Iceland with Ben Frost, did anything come of that? Maybe it wasn't a new record but something else.

Any way just started watching the new Adam Curtis and judging from what I've seen so far and the trailer, it's wall to wall Brian McBride and SOTL. Hopefully this could lead to some renewed interest in them.

Yep. I'm on episode 3 and it's been nearly all SoTL, sounds like a section of 'Don't Bother They're Here' is being used a lot?

Sun Feb 14, 2021 11:11 am

Also hearing Overture (For Other Halfs) and Prelude from When the Detail...

Lovely.

Sun Feb 14, 2021 5:32 pm

I think it was Girl Nap and Piano ABG I heard in the trailer. Don't think I've heard them yet in the actual film. I'm terrible for putting names to tunes, so I had to do a bit of detective work!

Fri Mar 26, 2021 10:24 am

Logan71 wrote:If SoTL are gone, I could sure dig some solo Brian McBride right now. For some reason A Winged Victory for the Sullen leave me cold.

I mostly agree with this, though I must say The Undivided Five really renewed "A Winged Victory" in my ears and heart. Their other stuff was a bit cold to me, neoclassical like Olafur Arnalds who I also find a bit on the chilly side.
Adam Wiltzie's solo and soundtrack work is rather nice though, Travels in Constants in particular!

Fri Mar 26, 2021 7:29 pm

Ironically I thought Undivided Five was, and remains, their weakest work. Possibly Iris.

Fri Mar 26, 2021 9:12 pm

For some reason, for a number of years, I held the belief that it was Adam Wiltzie who was the brainchild behind Stars of the Lid. And then, I was left disappointed by A Winged Victory for the Sullen's output - which I suppose increased my wish for some new SOTL material. But...my gosh, I think I've been asleep...Brian McBride. What utterly beautiful and stunning material. It's just clicked recently, and I'm so glad it has. Body tingling, hairs on arm standing up sensations...eureka.

Sat Mar 27, 2021 12:34 pm

Mexicola wrote:Ironically I thought Undivided Five was, and remains, their weakest work. Possibly Iris.

wow I'm honestly surprised! To each their own of course :] ... Something about "Our Lord Debussy" moved me so much. Though I have to say my fave non SOTL track by a member is without a doubt "Overtures for Other Halves"... masterpiece.

Sat Mar 27, 2021 1:13 pm

It was possibly coloured by my disappointment of the last live show of theirs I saw just before lockdown. They basically played Atomos (which is a masterpiece) practically in full one, maybe two tracks off Undivided Five, despite them touring to promote it and a couple off their debut record. Strange setlist which re-enforced my ambivalence towards it. It's by no means bad, far, far from it. It just felt a little 'by the numbers' for me. I forgave them Iris because it was a soundtrack, but Undivided Five just didn't grab me. Maybe I should go back and revisit it.

Mon Mar 29, 2021 7:56 am

Yeah, context is so important. I had an almost opposite experience in that I found their first release a little cool and neoclassical, and so I ignored Iris entirely. Then I played Our Lord Debussy on Bandcamp, and it blew me away, maybe because my expectations were lowered? I found the Undivided Five a slow burner with a lot less trickery than the first album. It felt massive and confident to me. The final track is gorgeous too, that lonesome piano sound...

I mean it is all excellent music, as music goes. It is interesting how one perceives these things, and - Mexicola, I'm sure you don't recall, but you actually introduced me to SOTL yourself on this very forum over 10 years back! So your opinion on these matters has weight for me :D

Thu Aug 19, 2021 9:53 am

https://www.hellomerch.com/collections/stars-of-the-lid

Thu Aug 19, 2021 12:26 pm

Has this been shared?

phpBB [media]
Post a reply