--The post what you are working on *right now* thread--

Discussions related to music in general.

Moderators: Mexicola, 2020k, Fredd-E, Aesthetics

Dayvan Cowboy
Bryan wrote:Woops, the track I posted above was apparently not set for public view. Should be good to go now, here's the link again -

http://www.upload-mp3.com/files/272872_0vkxh/Haunted.mp3

light and airy, maybe reign in the reverb on the kick a touch? less wide perhaps? too much stereo width or panning on kicks and snares can be very distracting from the rest of the mix and the reverb is guilty of this ... very clear production and obviously you are a musical sort judging from the instruments and structure ... the floaty pad could drop in the mix a touch or develop into something else, maybe another pad evolving behind it? seems to be a cohesive approach going on here ... not entirely my sort of thing but what i hear is good 8)

_________________________________________________________________________________

i updated the track i started the thread with a bit ... i'm not that musical as you may have guessed! took a few keyboard lessons very young, can no longer read or play music from the page though but am OK at bashing buttons and fiddling with stuff til it sounds alright to my ears :lol:

decided to go with this as the track for the MC and the lyrics will focus on some keys aspects of being a kid in the 70s, 80s, 90s and 00s which will make up four verses (not recorded yet!)

http://myuzyk.net/promo/Skywave_Systems ... ys_WIP.mp3

up to 1'40" now ... the arp needs work and the track will gain momentum a bit with some added stabs and maybe a chopped break for good measure

any BoCisms were not intentional and must have slipped through subconsciously :)

Dayvan Cowboy
turquoise70 wrote:working on a class project to score a short film with a girl from the dance department.

ooh... someone's in for a treat...
“if you are neutral in situations of injustice, you have chosen the side of the oppressor.” - Desmond Tutu

"[Man] is by nature a political animal. And he who by nature and not by mere accident is without a state, is either above humanity, or below it... he may be compared to a bird which flies alone." - Aristotle, Politics

Sherbet Head
Hey guys, just finished this actually, been sick with a fever/chest pain/swollen throat/ear ache, and some other shit too - been in my bedroom all day chillin', this is was came of it.

www.myspace.com/88marquis

first track, called Blood Beach - fuck i miss summer.

peace!
www.soundcloud.com/88marquis

Eagle Minded
hungry_manweaselbeast wrote:light and airy, maybe reign in the reverb on the kick a touch? less wide perhaps? too much stereo width or panning on kicks and snares can be very distracting from the rest of the mix and the reverb is guilty of this ... very clear production and obviously you are a musical sort judging from the instruments and structure ... the floaty pad could drop in the mix a touch or develop into something else, maybe another pad evolving behind it? seems to be a cohesive approach going on here ... not entirely my sort of thing but what i hear is good 8)

Thanks, that is exactly the sort of feedback I need. Now that I'm comfortable with the basic workflow of note programming in Live my bigger goal is to develop my sound design skills, whether it be to build my own sounds from scratch or modulate them within the narrative of a track like you suggested with that pad. I know I can put a piece of music together, but its the detail work in the soundscape that makes or breaks it and that I know will require plenty of learning and practice. And a set of monitors instead of just my Grado 80s.

Good call on the kick reverb! Its great to have some fresh ears - I listened over and over so many times trying to get the drum build at the end halfway decent that eventually you can stop hearing something that important.

'Kids These Days' - I like the variation with the high-hat, and the fade when that nice melody kicks in left me wanting more... good stuff

Here's something I put together recently as an exercise that could definitely use some sonic critiquing. Its more straightforward electronic, Amen samples and all. I like the music but the pad needs complete reworking and I need to determine what I did to mask the double hit of the bassline in the middle section.

http://www.upload-mp3.com/files/273262_pfdvf/Top_of_the_South.mp3

Dayvan Cowboy
Bryan wrote:
hungry_manweaselbeast wrote:light and airy, maybe reign in the reverb on the kick a touch? less wide perhaps? too much stereo width or panning on kicks and snares can be very distracting from the rest of the mix and the reverb is guilty of this ... very clear production and obviously you are a musical sort judging from the instruments and structure ... the floaty pad could drop in the mix a touch or develop into something else, maybe another pad evolving behind it? seems to be a cohesive approach going on here ... not entirely my sort of thing but what i hear is good 8)

Thanks, that is exactly the sort of feedback I need. Now that I'm comfortable with the basic workflow of note programming in Live my bigger goal is to develop my sound design skills, whether it be to build my own sounds from scratch or modulate them within the narrative of a track like you suggested with that pad. I know I can put a piece of music together, but its the detail work in the soundscape that makes or breaks it and that I know will require plenty of learning and practice. And a set of monitors instead of just my Grado 80s.

Good call on the kick reverb! Its great to have some fresh ears - I listened over and over so many times trying to get the drum build at the end halfway decent that eventually you can stop hearing something that important.

'Kids These Days' - I like the variation with the high-hat, and the fade when that nice melody kicks in left me wanting more... good stuff

Here's something I put together recently as an exercise that could definitely use some sonic critiquing. Its more straightforward electronic, Amen samples and all. I like the music but the pad needs complete reworking and I need to determine what I did to mask the double hit of the bassline in the middle section.

http://www.upload-mp3.com/files/273262_pfdvf/Top_of_the_South.mp3

yeh that's incomplete at the moment, shoudl end up around 5-6 minutes long

off to work soon so don;t have much time for listening but will do at some point 8)

Sherbet Head

Dayvan Cowboy
Nice tunes everyone, but I think the thread is kind of pointless if we only post tunes and not give feedback on music by other people.
Borné dans sa nature, infini dans ses vœux, l'homme est un dieu tombé qui se souvient des cieux.

Sherbet Head
Guido wrote:Nice tunes everyone, but I think the thread is kind of pointless if we only post tunes and not give feedback on music by other people.

Not sure if its just me or if its my location, but half the links i click don't work and have errors on the page - happens all the time actually, im missing out on some good stuff ='(

Sherbet Head
ninetyoneplus wrote:My demo which I am currently gathering feedback for can be found here:

http://soundcloud.com/naturalysis/sets/ ... -demo-prep

Hey man, checked these tracks out the other day but didn't have time to let you know what i thought about em, so i'm giving them a second listen and i am really digging this approach - the beat you bring into '1991' is something you don't hear every day, reminds me of a tv on the radio song called 'dreams' - you might dig it =P.

Have you ever thought of working with another person? I'm looking for someone to basically just collab with and pass tracks back and forth and see what happens, you've got a lot of catchy tunes here man i really like what you're doing, let us know when you get this one out i'd love to grab it!

Sherbet Head
The Telepathic Kid wrote:I've been having a big mind blank lately. No inspiration, no creativity.

It's annoying. :(

I know what you mean man i really do. The way i gain inspiration is through talking with others, and opening my mind to whatever anyone around me has to talk about, its just something i love doing, i can talk to anyone about anything.

Other times i like to just cruise, leave my phone at home of course - and just go wherever seems right, clear my mind - thinking of all the greater things in life, the things we hardly ever seem to think about but are the most important to us.

an open mind is a fantastic one

good luck man

Sherbet Head
@88Marquis: Thanks man. It really means a lot. Right now I am working on a demo that I will send out to a few netlabels in 3-4 weeks. I'll contact you to try something after that.

I listened to that song and can see what you were saying.
http://91plus.bandcamp.com/
^FREE ALBUM^

<i> how strange it is to be anything at all </i>

Dayvan Cowboy
here's one i've been working on in the boc vein. minor/major boardsy old tapey shtuff.

https://www.yousendit.com/download/WnBU ... d0ZMWEE9PQ

let me know what you think, if you think anything at all.

cheers.

Sherbet Head
Use soundcloud people! It doesn't make me wanna murder people like yousendit/megaupload/zshare.
http://91plus.bandcamp.com/
^FREE ALBUM^

<i> how strange it is to be anything at all </i>

Dayvan Cowboy
ross adey wrote:here's one i've been working on in the boc vein. minor/major boardsy old tapey shtuff.

cheers.

everything was beautiful apart from the male voice sample(?) used...it really began to irritate me. :?

Dayvan Cowboy
that voice would be mine. it was probably done post-macquarie ridge period. have no other explanation for the drones.

Dayvan Cowboy
ross adey wrote:here's one i've been working on in the boc vein. minor/major boardsy old tapey shtuff.

cheers.
You know what? i really liked this,i did chuckle at the voice he he he,when is the 3rd album out ;)
<center>de ['] ja [,] vu
nʌ ['] ɐɾ [,] ǝp

Sherbet Head
ross adey wrote:that voice would be mine. it was probably done post-macquarie ridge period. have no other explanation for the drones.

Love the way you started the beat! Very upbeat track as well, theres a lot going on - really filled out too, thats what i'm having trouble with at the moment hehe, i love the voice in that too, great track man!

Eagle Minded
i'm working on an album right now... but you guys won't like it... it's non bocish!

Sherbet Head
asymmetrical head wrote:i'm working on an album right now... but you guys won't like it... it's non bocish!

NONSENSE POOPYPANTS! Its good to try somethin new, i listen to all kinds of music not just BOC, i'm down for anything as long as its not modern country =P

Sherbet Head
Skytree wrote:Chaga

FINALLY! I'm able to actually listen to this, my computer at home is being a dickface and it would never load the quicktime - at work listening to it right now, i always love your tracks man they are so damn different and you use so many great sounds - i love how spontanious they are too, keeps me interested all the way through, keep doing what you're doing man you've got it down.

EDIT: Dude, do i hear a door (wood?) creeking? Thats fuckin awesome.

PreviousNext

Return to This Random Sound