Question on amps and monitors

Discussions related to music in general.

Moderators: Mexicola, 2020k, Fredd-E, Aesthetics

Dayvan Cowboy
I just started getting back into playing guitar again, and I've been playing around with a few effects I have. I started playing with a few friends, and I needed something louder than the studio monitors I've been using, so I went with a cheap guitar practice amp that I just bought. But, now I want to start playing keyboard again too, and using samplers and all that stuff again, but I'd like to use the keyboard through all the effects pedals I have/plan to buy, so I'd probably be running both the guitar, and the keyboard through the effects. Running everything through the guitar amp wouldn't be good, since the keyboard has lower frequencies than the guitar, and it'd probably kill the amp if loud enough. But, using distortion (on guitar) through studio monitors sounds like crap.

I'll probably have both keyboard and guitar going through all my effects, and probably just switch between them when I'm playing with friends, and then when I'm recording/making some new music, I'd probably just stick a sampler on the end, and start that way. So, does anyone have any suggestions on what kind of speakers/amp could I use?

The amp I bought does have a line out. I was thinking maybe just running the guitar through distortion/eq and into the amp and then using the line out to connect with the keyboard through the rest of the effects, but I'm not sure how it'd sound since I don't have a distortion pedal yet. I'd assume it'd sound the same as going from distortion through monitors, but I'm not sure.

Return to This Random Sound