Chameleon, new single on iTunes <- debunked by MDG

Discussions related to music in general.

Moderators: Mexicola, 2020k, Fredd-E, Aesthetics

Telepath
I doubt boards of canada use Dblue glitch...

Dayvan Cowboy
mdg wrote:a quick dig suggests this is the culprit:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=czSHpQl47J8

hmmm... he smokes regal.

Interesting side-discussion:

Anyone noticed that 'Chameleon-gate' has been debunked here, on the BOCTransmission Twitter site, and via their Facebook page..... but nothing appears on the boardsofcanada.com website?

I'm not suggesting this isn't bonefide info, only that I'm wondering how 'maintained' the website is now?

Slow down...

Happy Cycler
Mexicola wrote:Interesting side-discussion:

Anyone noticed that 'Chameleon-gate' has been debunked here, on the BOCTransmission Twitter site, and via their Facebook page..... but nothing appears on the boardsofcanada.com website?

I'm not suggesting this isn't bonefide info, only that I'm wondering how 'maintained' the website is now?

I know - that's two Facebook posts in just a few hours. Busy times at BoC-Towers

Eagle Minded
Brainchops wrote:Boards of Canada - "Chameleon" :: This video was uploaded to YouTube In October of 2009 by MrWhitelabel, and as you can see by reading a majority of the user comments, it was widely dismissed as just another BoC copycat track. However, the very same track appears to have been released October 28th, 2010 on iTunes by Boards of Canada's music label Music70. Adding to the intrigue, the Boards of Canada's official YouTube channel left a comment on the above video's page approximately 2 hours ago with the following message:

"diet coke green screen failure"

http://www.brainchops.net/2010/10/boards-of-canada-chameleon-2010-single.html

I reckon the brothers Sandison are alive after all. But fuck it if I know what that's supposed to mean.

A_Northern_Soul wrote:I know - that's two Facebook posts in just a few hours. Busy times at BoC-Towers

I think you mean, someone actually had to go into work today at BoC-Towers!

Posts Quantity
Cupz wrote:I doubt boards of canada use Dblue glitch...

I always thought dblue glitch was their secret weapon.

Telepath
Ignaz wrote:
Cupz wrote:I doubt boards of canada use Dblue glitch...

I always thought dblue glitch was their secret weapon.

lol

Dayvan Cowboy
Fredd-E wrote:First of all I don't get it how some people say this does not resemble boc at all. Weird!

It does sound an awful lot like boc to me. Else I've been listening a totally different BoC than all of you.

It just sounds different I agree. More digital, more uptempo. Also more prominent key elements like the child vocals.

But what really baffles me is how it can be uploaded to iTunes just like that under the moniker of Boards of Canada. I've read a little bit of how to get your own music on iTunes on this link: http://homerecording.about.com/od/dupli ... iTunes.htm

The last paragraph seems to me the thing that happened here:
Another great option is a company called Tunecore. Tunecore offers similar features to CD Baby, although they only deal in digital distribution. Their pricing model is quite different; Tunecore's pricing is based on whether it's a single -- which costs $9.99 to upload -- or a full album. You can either do unlimited songs and all 19 stores for $46.99, or choose your stores and songs for an additional fee. You'll go live on iTunes worldwide, eMusic, and many others. They also don't make any claim to your material, just distribute it. They offer free UPC code generation, and can hook you up with a good artwork person if you don't have cover art already made.

So basically for little to no money you can have your music uploaded to iTunes by using a service like CD Baby or the above Tunecore. But how on earth it is possible to use an already registered name without Apple not verifying this at all is beyond me. I thought iTunes being a big worldwide service would be a little bit better in quality control... it's not like it's some sort of cheap ass website....

Is anyone here more experienced in the whole iTunes business model? Please elaborate then as I'm curious to know.

Well there's pretty much two routes to digital distribution.

You mentioned one- Tunecore and CD Baby etc offer limited distribution for a ton of money. Anyone can put stuff up. Obviously there's going to be tons of bands that are named the same thing, so you can use pretty much any artist name.

The other way is through a legitimate distribution company like EPM. This gets your music into loads more stores and usually provides a better percentage for labels/artists.

Having used both methods, its been my experience that it is incredibly common for the shops to fuck things up. My last album was distributed by the same company that does Skam and they messed up the order of my album on half of the sites. One of the tracks also was cut in half in most shops. Not to mention typos.

So yes, even the 'professional' services are unprofessional, and crap like this happens really easily all the time just because of the huge volume of music being put out...too much automation in the process doesn't help either. A duplicate of such a strange and big-time name like 'Boards of Canada' should have been caught and corrected before it was posted, but we see here that that's not the case

Eagle Minded
I did some iPhone apps in the past, so I don't know anything about the music distribution, but I do have some experience with the iTunes submitting process. For approval it seemed to be more important which employee, his/her mood, time of day, etc (I even thought about taking the lunar cycle into consideration ;)) than the company policy. Once I got a message to upload my stuff again (several weeks after uploading), apparantly they screwed things up and just lost my file ... :S

So I wasn't that surprised that this is possible.....
Unexpect the expected

Eagle Minded
It's still up on iTunes as of this posting.
Hard to believe this would get posted for sale so easily
I guess I am not all that surprised though.

Happy Cycler
Having heard what the others have mentioned, I ought to put in my own two cents.

Sometime when you're extraordinarily bored, do a google search for steel whirl empire builder boreal network.

You'll find pages upon pages of mp3 download sites, all offering my music for purchase. My best guess is this is Moodgadget's doing - after all, they did promise me that they would be offering me a percentage of the "digital sales" of my music.

Nobody laugh, because I'm the least surprised among all of you: I haven't seen one tarnished penny from all of this. A few odd tracks of my musical career are now far-flung on every goddamned corner of the internet, and SOMEBODY's earning money off digital downloads but damned if it's me. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if Moodgadget isn't getting any money off this either.

In short, I'm a disgruntled musician and the world of digital music distribution is officially the Wild West of our times. And not the glorified, romanticized Wild West, either - the one with all the Cholera and Horse Shit.
another silo full / another dark dawn / bending the air / love is so small

returnal \ you've never left \ you've been here the whole time

Dayvan Cowboy
turquoise70 wrote: In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if Moodgadget isn't getting any money off this either.

In short, I'm a disgruntled musician and the world of digital music distribution is officially the Wild West of our times. And not the glorified, romanticized Wild West, either - the one with all the Cholera and Horse Shit.

Yup. They aren't either. There just are no sales. Releasing music isn't about music anymore. It's about promoting the next tour (the only way to make money now). 'Sales' are dead.

The only time I've been paid more than 10 dollars for a release (Even sold out ones) is when I am a total dickhead to the label and basically force it out of them. And even then, my biggest single check was 45 bucks. And that was for 6 releases and 2 years of work.

I've learned to only expect a dime if Sony/BMG/Atlantic/Universal/EMI signs me....and yeh- that's not gonna happen. **sigh**

Happy Cycler
*Headlines*
"PHasen goes pop! Works with Lady Gaga and Pharrell on the new album!"

now that I think about it I'd actually listen to that. You could make those guys sound good. :P

Eagle Minded
It was quite exciting the whole Chameleon episode really... although I thought the outcome would have been better. I knew all along that it was a fake but I thought it would bring out a proper announcement. At least it brought MDG out to play... although he didn't mention anything about a new album, (even though he said a while ago it would be in 2010), which was a poor show from him.

Happy Cycler
rolypablo wrote:which was a poor show from him.

No it wasn't.
another silo full / another dark dawn / bending the air / love is so small

returnal \ you've never left \ you've been here the whole time

Eagle Minded
Someone coming on this forum to tell us there's a new BoC album going to be coming in 2010... getting everyone's hopes up to then not actually get an album. Obviously still a couple of months to go so if it drops before the new year then I'll be happy, but I can't see it now.

Why could MDG not just give us a tiny indication of what's happening with it?

Have you've never made some kind of "promise" in your life which, unfortunately, in the end did not come through without you being able to do anything about it?

People don't seem to be able to grasp that possible explanation for the lack of any substantial news.

Maybe he was indeed, at that very time, confident enough to tell us something would drop in 2010 and by telling us he was really doing us a pleasure imho. But even that fact is not appreciated anymore. People only see the negative side of things so it seems.

You should try to sum up all the hostility, cynism and general impoliteness he had to read through on the various threads we had in the past. I perfectly understand him not being very active anymore over here. The impatience is turning people into ungrateful beings. I'm happy he still took time and hopped by to post about the iTunes and movie hoax on our board next to their official channels. He even confirmed those things here first and in second instance on their own channels. Think about that!

For the rest I suggest we wait. I'm positive it will come. Might not be this year, but the world won't end after 2010.

^^^ Correct. Sign of the times though I'm afraid.

The I-want-it-now, free download, quick fix, Starbucks, iGeneration, iPhone, iWant, IWANT (stamp feet) attitude seems to be getting more and more prevailant these days. I know I'm an old git, but it really does get on my twatting nerves sometimes. Pardon my French.

And if it annoys me - someone totally unconnected to the band - it must really get on the tits of those who try to give us something amazing only to have it chucked back in their faces.

Sorry, I'm grouchy tonight. I didn't sleep well.

:x

Slow down...

Eagle Minded
I am staying positive. I haven't been one of the ones who have been rude or spiteful... I just said that perhaps he could have mentioned something about the album, maybe he's been told not to mention it. That's fine, maybe he doesn't know when it will be.

rolypablo wrote:I am staying positive. I haven't been one of the ones who have been rude or spiteful... I just said that perhaps he could have mentioned something about the album, maybe he's been told not to mention it. That's fine, maybe he doesn't know when it will be.

Not really meant as a dig at you, more a general observation. Apologies - like I said, feeling grouchy tonight. Going for a cup of tea and a sit down, lol :wink:

Slow down...

PreviousNext

Return to This Random Sound