Chameleon, new single on iTunes <- debunked by MDG

Discussions related to music in general.

Moderators: Mexicola, 2020k, Fredd-E, Aesthetics

Eagle Minded
turquoise70 wrote:Also this sounds absolutely nothing whatsoever like BoC.

this

Sherbet Head
Good song and all but this isn't BoC.

First of all I don't get it how some people say this does not resemble boc at all. Weird!

It does sound an awful lot like boc to me. Else I've been listening a totally different BoC than all of you.

It just sounds different I agree. More digital, more uptempo. Also more prominent key elements like the child vocals.

But what really baffles me is how it can be uploaded to iTunes just like that under the moniker of Boards of Canada. I've read a little bit of how to get your own music on iTunes on this link: http://homerecording.about.com/od/dupli ... iTunes.htm

The last paragraph seems to me the thing that happened here:
Another great option is a company called Tunecore. Tunecore offers similar features to CD Baby, although they only deal in digital distribution. Their pricing model is quite different; Tunecore's pricing is based on whether it's a single -- which costs $9.99 to upload -- or a full album. You can either do unlimited songs and all 19 stores for $46.99, or choose your stores and songs for an additional fee. You'll go live on iTunes worldwide, eMusic, and many others. They also don't make any claim to your material, just distribute it. They offer free UPC code generation, and can hook you up with a good artwork person if you don't have cover art already made.

So basically for little to no money you can have your music uploaded to iTunes by using a service like CD Baby or the above Tunecore. But how on earth it is possible to use an already registered name without Apple not verifying this at all is beyond me. I thought iTunes being a big worldwide service would be a little bit better in quality control... it's not like it's some sort of cheap ass website....

Is anyone here more experienced in the whole iTunes business model? Please elaborate then as I'm curious to know.

Eagle Minded
i don't think it sounds like BoC much, especially when put in line with their more recent work. their discography has evolved and their music has become more lush over time, this is bleepy and stereotypical of older material, especially with the overdone children laughing samples. it sounds like a good fake, to me. if i'm wrong, well, that'll be pretty embarrassing.

but the reason why I think this is a big prank is that they have so many modes of communicating to fans available to say SOMETHING about this. even if they're not using them - there was the myspace mood changes, the twitter account they have as a placeholder, email lists, their own damn website, warp, something somewhere would mention this.

after thinking about it for a bit, i call shenanigans.

edit :
the boards of canada youtube account, in a comment on the video wrote:diet coke green screen failure

what the fuck i don't get it
last.fm/user/ienjoycheese ~ [hence i see joy]

Eagle Minded
Well they stole the f*cking artwork for a start!

Dayvan Cowboy
edit :
the boards of canada youtube account, in a comment on the video wrote:diet coke green screen failure

what the fuck i don't get it

odd ;D
Borné dans sa nature, infini dans ses vœux, l'homme est un dieu tombé qui se souvient des cieux.

Eagle Minded
So the Boardsofcanada youtube channel is real?

Eagle Minded
rolypablo wrote:So the Boardsofcanada youtube channel is real?

i don't know what's real any more

Dayvan Cowboy
ShammenDelly wrote:No way this is boc.
Ive used that child sample that goes YEAH before.

another reason that it's fake :). if shammen used it it's probably public domain. boc would NEVER use public domain samples ;D.

and yeah, if this were boc i'd be disappointed.
Borné dans sa nature, infini dans ses vœux, l'homme est un dieu tombé qui se souvient des cieux.

Eagle Minded
But everyone is ignoring the fact that the artwork is stolen from Susumu Yokota's - Kaleidoscope.

Eagle Minded
rolypablo wrote:But everyone is ignoring the fact that the artwork is stolen from Susumu Yokota's - Kaleidoscope.

The fact that someone is making money off this and it's not been paid attention to by Warp / Music70 / Hexagon Sun is what's most confusing.

edit : dietcokegreenscreenfailure: it's obviously an anagram. "idea! skier rug teleconference".

... but no seriously, what's going on?

Eagle Minded
You could say that diet coke is fake cocacola, and that green screen is a fake background, just an overall failure!

Nah, I'm confused too. Surely MDG needs to step in at the very least here.

Sherbet Head
or it could actually be a genuine track but it's correct title is diet coke green screen failure??

just maybe

Dayvan Cowboy
mdg? :?:

Dayvan Cowboy
(creeper voice) "come closer mdg...." :lol:

Happy Cycler
why doesn't someone email warp about it? i'm sure they'd be interested to know.
another silo full / another dark dawn / bending the air / love is so small

returnal \ you've never left \ you've been here the whole time

Dayvan Cowboy
seems like a ploy to lure BOC out of hiding. and it's not gonna work i reckon.

Sherbet Head
dp wrote:seems like a ploy to lure BOC out of hiding. and it's not gonna work i reckon.

This came to my mind too but you were faster :)

Eagle Minded
I've emailed Warp but wont hold my breath for a reply.

rolypablo wrote:I've emailed Warp but wont hold my breath for a reply.
I did too yesterday. What address did you use? info AT warp DOT net?

PreviousNext

Return to This Random Sound