Guilty Pleasures..

Discussions related to music in general.

Moderators: Mexicola, 2020k, Fredd-E, Aesthetics

Dayvan Cowboy
fujee wrote:I like Enya and Clannad, I think that is from hearing it all the time when I was a yoot.

I've been listening to Parachutes this evening, that album is definitely solid. Surprisingly reading back, and seeing that Trouble performed poorly in the charts, despite being rinsed by the BBC on every tear jerking montage they made. Comparing that tune to what is on offer in the charts now, well, I'd know what I'd rather listen to.

Was just listening to Clannad earlier for the first time in a long time, incredible how many tunes I recognised, like yourself from hearing them all the time when I was younger.
Parachutes is a good album, I'd still give it the odd spin, particularly Shiver - their latest stuff I've no interest in at all.

Eagle Minded
I wouldn't necessarily call this a guilty pleasure... but I love me some System of a Down!

Early stuff yes. Noticed your Toxicity post the other day. Choon! :-)

Slow down...

Eagle Minded
Yeah... and its still in my head! I don't think I've ever had a song in my head this long! Even listening to other stuff isn't drowning it out!

New Seed
Mike, Mike...How could you do this to me. I admit that I love this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=diYAc7gB-0A

Happy Cycler
Sagan: In order to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe.

Basinski: I wanted Cascade to become this crystalline organism like a star or a liquid crystal spaceship, a jellyfish traveling through the galaxy…

Dayvan Cowboy
fujee wrote:Cliff Richard - Devil Woman

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7tuAkdlLhTE

Now that's plumbing the depths.

Happy Cycler
Well, no one said this was the "universally praised song thread" ;)

p.s. Hope he isn't a nonce.
Sagan: In order to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe.

Basinski: I wanted Cascade to become this crystalline organism like a star or a liquid crystal spaceship, a jellyfish traveling through the galaxy…

Happy Cycler
I'm actually not sure I'd call these applicable. Came to say Soft Cell, but a lot of Soft Cell is actually pretty good 70% of the time even beyond Non-Stop Erotic Cabaret, that is if you can appreciate 80s electronics and synthpop/new wave music. Those guys also did leave a legacy in electronic pop music with Tainted Love (even if it's not their song) and hit that scene pretty early.

Another thing I was going to say was Yello. but when I really think about it, there's nothing wrong really with Yello. Corny? Yes. In that territory of "wow, seriously?" No, I don't think so. Plus, Oh Yeah is actually a pretty neatly arranged electronic track with little ambient noises and that punchy drum machine percussion you hear from the era, made better with legit high dynamic range. It does permanently conjure up Matthew Broderick's face, but whatever.
Okay...now...wait for fog machine.

Dayvan Cowboy
Yeah, absolutely no need to consider Soft Cell a guilty pleasure. Non-Stop Erotic Cabaret is consistently great. Seedy Films and Youth especially are right up there with the greatest of synthpop tunes.

phpBB [media]

Happy Cycler
Absolutely Youth for me. Seedy Films is slick. I also love Memorabilia and A Man Could Get Lost but my favorite off the album (at least the extended version I have) is the video version of Sex Dwarf, with its maniacal almost bordering post-industrial sort of sound. I was mainly thinking of tracks like Where Did Our Love Go in the "guilty pleasure" department, but there's no guilt felt so nevermind it.

So a more appropriate guilty pleasure...Nena, perhaps? Not the worst offender by any means but that probably qualifies.

Happy Cycler
Absolutely Youth for me. Seedy Films is slick. I also love Memorabilia and A Man Could Get Lost but my favorite off the album (at least the extended version I have) is the video version of Sex Dwarf, with its maniacal almost bordering post-industrial sort of sound. I was mainly thinking of tracks like Where Did Our Love Go in the "guilty pleasure" department, but there's no guilt felt so nevermind it.

So a more appropriate guilty pleasure...Nena, perhaps? Not the worst offender by any means but that probably qualifies.

Happy Cycler
(twoism glitched up there and went offline for a second, sorry for the doubl- err, triple post)

Dayvan Cowboy
There's quite a bit of 80s stuff I like that I wouldn't consider a guilty pleasure, but I can see why folk would hate it. Here's two perfect examples, both perfect slices of electronic/indie pop in my opinion -

phpBB [media]

phpBB [media]

Eagle Minded
I don't really ever feel guilty about anything I listen to. But I suppose maybe this would be in the category. :)

phpBB [media]
:INDIFFERENT SPACES:
all albums [IS1-IS13] available here:
http://indifferentspaces.bandcamp.com

Happy Cycler
I put JT in with artists like Outkast or Lorde, Charli XCX, etc

pop stars who are savvy, able to work the industry, still be creative but accessible at the same time.

The 20/20 Experience Pt. 1 was a great record, idgaf.

Posts Quantity
I love this it might be considered a bit cheesy but the synthesisers are brilliant.
As solo artist's they are both brilliant and both were in classic band line-ups.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BkhjDiIVRek
:D

Eagle Minded
The Telepathic Kid wrote:I put JT in with artists like Outkast or Lorde, Charli XCX, etc

pop stars who are savvy, able to work the industry, still be creative but accessible at the same time.

The 20/20 Experience Pt. 1 was a great record, idgaf.

I actually haven't heard 20/20... I'll give it a listen. I did like a lot of his first solo record. A bit of a Michael Jacksonish type effort. But I think he did it successfully.
:INDIFFERENT SPACES:
all albums [IS1-IS13] available here:
http://indifferentspaces.bandcamp.com

Happy Cycler
Ed Sheeran - Thinking Out Loud.

Great voice.

WHO ARE YOU AND WHAT HAVE YOU DONE WITH FUGEE?!?!

Slow down...

PreviousNext

Return to This Random Sound