Guilty Pleasures..

Discussions related to music in general.

Moderators: Mexicola, 2020k, Fredd-E, Aesthetics

Happy Cycler
:lol: I know man, it's bad innit.
Sagan: In order to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe.

Basinski: I wanted Cascade to become this crystalline organism like a star or a liquid crystal spaceship, a jellyfish traveling through the galaxy…

Boqurant
Anything by Pet Shop Boys... Wait, should I even feel "guilty" about that? Hahahaa...
Cerebro See Through Red Eye

www.soundcloud.com/miiiimuzik

Dayvan Cowboy
Some Eminem I've found to be very witty and hilarious, and just generally quite eloquent. Not an active listener of it though per se.

Boqurant

Dayvan Cowboy
Yuck!

Posts Quantity
Witto wrote:Fuck it, loud and proud.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=psuRGfAaju4

*vomits*
well, live and let live i guess. my guilty pleasure would have to be wonderwall by oasis. college douche song, but i love it anyways.
Dude, have you heard the new EVANESENCE?

Boqurant
Aerial Boundaries wrote:Yuck!

skam wrote:*vomits*
well, live and let live i guess. my guilty pleasure would have to be wonderwall by oasis. college douche song, but i love it anyways.

Hahaha I know 8)

Dayvan Cowboy
fujee wrote::lol: I know man, it's bad innit.

You were on shaky ground after the Devil Woman confession...

Is the real reason you're not at Dorset this weekend because you've booked yourself into some kind of terrible music detox retreat? :wink:

Happy Cycler
Haha, if only.. unfortunately, I genuinely like the songs which I have posted in here. Though, I do very much recognise that all of them are truly awful/mediocre :lol:
Sagan: In order to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe.

Basinski: I wanted Cascade to become this crystalline organism like a star or a liquid crystal spaceship, a jellyfish traveling through the galaxy…

Posts Quantity
my chemical romance

i was a tweenage fangirl and i can't just un-love them

Sherbet Head
"Guilty pleasures" are for people who are insecure in their taste.

Dayvan Cowboy
drillkicker wrote:"Guilty pleasures" are for people who are insecure in their taste.

I disagree, they are for people who are swayed by what are considered clichés in a culture. That is quite a lot of people in my experience. That has zero to do with insecurity, and more to do with a lack of zealous preoccupation with nit picking at the more inane features of society.

Some of those who do have that preoccupation, such as myself, still posted in this thread anyway for various reasons. Mainly being for myself, an outlet for things that I at least marginally enjoy which don't fall into my usual taste, and in doing so I am using the topic of the title as a convenience. I don't have any issue whatsoever with my enjoyment of Eminem for instance.

Basically, people do and think things for many reasons, and blanket statements like that can end up being wildly inaccurate.

EDIT: fuck it. Even my post contains at least one blanket statement that I don't think applies in all situations after rereading it. You see how bloody useless they are when it comes to people and their motivations?

Dayvan Cowboy
drillkicker wrote:"Guilty pleasures" are for people who are insecure in their taste.

It's really just a bit of fun.

Eagle Minded

I've never quite understood the term myself either. If I like something, It clearly has at least one quality about it that I look for in music, even if it's just its 'catchiness'. I like a couple of Nickleback's early albums, and I'm completely happy to admit it. Theyre catchy and I actually quite like Chad's vocals, despite the amount of stigma there is behind liking any of their music. I like being proud of my opinions on music :)

Dayvan Cowboy
Forgive my drunk post from earlier. Though I still stand by roughly half of it.

Yeah, grave, digging, self. I know

Eagle Minded
I don't feel in the slightest bit guilty about it, but people who are familiar with my music taste are often surprised by how much I enjoy Kanye West.

I just love how much of an utter cunt he is. Or is trying to be. I don't know. That's why I love it. Watching his recent Glastonbury appearance, I honestly couldn't work out if his entire persona is a cleverly constructed performance art, or if he's actually mentally ill and suffering from delusions.

Boqurant
FortonServices wrote:I don't feel in the slightest bit guilty about it, but people who are familiar with my music taste are often surprised by how much I enjoy Kanye West.

I just love how much of an utter cunt he is. Or is trying to be. I don't know. That's why I love it. Watching his recent Glastonbury appearance, I honestly couldn't work out if his entire persona is a cleverly constructed performance art, or if he's actually mentally ill and suffering from delusions.

I can stand Kanye from a distance. His production is (usually) fantastic and a lot of his songs are catchy as hell with really memorable and hilarious lyrics. But it's when I start to try and think about all his supposed "messages" in his music is when he starts to lose me. The anti-consumerist messages on Yeezus lose all of their weight once you realize that Kanye is a fucking fashion designer who practically makes a living off of materialism and consumerism. Hell, he makes references to that multiple times on the same album.

It seems like he wants to say something bold and interesting, but he doesn't have the balls to change his own hypocritical mannerisms.

Dayvan Cowboy
He's nothing but a fake and a hypocrite in terms of the concepts he loads into his music. I really don't suffer pricks like him gladly.

Posts Quantity
FortonServices wrote: Kanye West.

an utter cunt cleverly constructed performance mental and suffering from delusions.

Im not a big fan of Kenny west , 50 pence , Jay z ( british pronunciation ) or that guy that does weddings? uuumm oh yeh Usher !

:twisted:

Give me Public Enemy , De la Soul , Jungle Brothers , Divine Styler any day . :D

Eagle Minded
Aerial Boundaries wrote:He's nothing but a fake and a hypocrite in terms of the concepts he loads into his music. I really don't suffer pricks like him gladly.

Pop music (I use that term in the loosest possible sense her) is inherently "fake" in it's very nature. That's part of what is good about it. It's always been that way. What Kanye is doing isn't really much different to what Johnny Rotten was doing in 1977.

Every so often someone will come along that claims to be "real". They are either eaten up by the machine and end up dead (Kurt Cobain, Elliott Smith) or they become just as "fake" as everyone else (Foo Fighters, Kings Of Leon).

At least Kanye has the balls to embrace this "fake"-ness. To acknowledge it for what it is, to play on it. Sure, he comes across as an arrogant prick. But there are plenty of others who are just as bad, if not worse, who get away with it simply because they hold a guitar and wear jeans with a rip in the knee.

PreviousNext

Return to This Random Sound