Swans

Discussions related to music in general.

Moderators: Mexicola, 2020k, Fredd-E, Aesthetics

Happy Cycler
I've read a lot recently about Swans and have my ears pricked up as they sound right up my street. Anyone with advice on where to start?

Show me show me Swans....

Happy Cycler
Swans are so awesome man.

Start anywhere, one of my favourites is Children of God. But their latest release "The Seer" is absolutely incredible.

Explore where you wish is my advice :)
Sagan: In order to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe.

Basinski: I wanted Cascade to become this crystalline organism like a star or a liquid crystal spaceship, a jellyfish traveling through the galaxy…

One Very Important Coder
I'm a bit torn when it comes to Swans...

I can wholeheartedly recommend every album before Jarboe became a more active and prominent member of the band, which basically boils things down to these:

Filth (1983)
Cop (1984)
Greed (1986)
Holy Money (1986)

I guess I'm simply a fan of the raw brutal primal noise they were doing back then.

Happy Cycler
Cheer guys,

Mrs A_Northern_Soul is out tonight, so I have a date with a bottle of red and some noise...

Happy Cycler
Okay, The Seer is just in-fucking-credible. I can't even explain how awesome this record is... so many textures and ideas.
Sagan: In order to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe.

Basinski: I wanted Cascade to become this crystalline organism like a star or a liquid crystal spaceship, a jellyfish traveling through the galaxy…

Eagle Minded
I tried listening to Soundtracks for the Blind once, and maybe I was just not in a good mood or something, but it made me feel depressed and I haven't really listened to them since. Maybe I should try it out again.
You're gonna carry that weight.

Happy Cycler
Absolutely, try The Seer, its beyond comprehension!

Posts Quantity

Eagle Minded
That was a rather enjoyable listening experience actually, I kinda needed something new and strange like that to listen to. Not something I can share with my friends probably, but ah well!
You're gonna carry that weight.

Boqurant
Just saw Swans live in Zagreb last night. These guys are unbelievable. They can wipe the floor with bands like Tool etc.
The gig was amazingly powerful experience. The only gig that was comparable with this in terms of raw and uncanny energy were the Pixies when I saw them back in 1989 (yes, I'm that old). But of course, in the context of music scene of the late 80's the Pixies were really something else.
Now I'm sorry I never really listened to Swans albums before. Bought myself The Seer and Soundtracks for the Blind to remedy that.
all things shining

Sherbet Head
I have only listened to the swans once (12 years ago), it was only memorable for how awful it was lol

Maybe I should try again, bit older, different frames of mind etc

Happy Cycler
New album out in May, the preview track sounds incredible. Pre-ordered my copy, signed by Gira himself. Pretty excited.

http://pitchfork.com/news/54441-swans-s ... o-be-kind/

Happy Cycler

Posts Quantity
New album is pretty incredible. Only Gira could release something that wasn't underwhelming after The Seer.

Also Kirsten Supine is fucking beautiful.

Happy Cycler
Swans are making some of the most interesting, brutal, expansive and exciting music currently. No one comes close to their prowess of song writing in this style. Gira is an absolute genius. This album and The Seer are modern masterpieces.

Happy Cycler

Sherbet Head
Children of God is nice. Soundtracks For the Blind is great, but probably doesn't make too much sense if you're unfamiliar with the albums released before it.

Dayvan Cowboy
My favorite record shop guy (and a good friend of mine) recommended I go to the Swans show at our local venue this past April. I'd never listened, but he insisted. Said it was kinda like "if Beck were to come to the Vinyl Music Hall [aforementioned venue] and tickets were only $15." The venue fills about 500, and those dudes filled it with sound. I've never felt so much sound before. Was glad I'd brought earplugs (and some to spare). Bought a couple records.

Oxygen blew my mind.

Happy Cycler
I STEAL ALL THE OXYGEN

Eagle Minded
I came to Swans very late and so I'm working backwards through their catalog. The two most recent albums 'To Be kind' and 'The Seer' are both huge, intense experiences which I would recommend without hesitation. Praying they tour Britain again as I don't want to miss them next time
...what subtlety?

Next

Return to This Random Sound