Your Favorite YouTube Channels

Random chat: movies, books, games, technology, etcetera.

Moderators: Mexicola, 2020k, Fredd-E, Aesthetics

Sherbet Head
I really like:

SHIEY
https://www.youtube.com/c/shiey

If you like urban exploration, train hopping and insanely dangerous structure climbing, this is for you. Shiey's videos are really well filmed and edited, there are no ads (although he has a patreon for you to chip in if you want) and the videos deliver as advertised. In other words, it's not click bait bullshit like 99% of YT "content". I only discovered him in the last few months, but he's been making videos for over two years.

Barely Sociable
https://www.youtube.com/c/BarelySociable

YT is glutted with "mystery videos" that are largely click bait, but this relatively new channel has been producing some really good ones. The amount of research put in to creating the videos is impressive and you can tell that the creator (name unknown) really takes time to get to the root of things. As a result, new videos appear infrequently, but are always a welcome event.

What u got?

Dayvan Cowboy
I don't like youtube, the internet would be much more interesting place without it, in my opinion. Trying to avoid youtube as much as I can. Tho, sometime ago I was collecting random youtube videos on my disk. From local news to half life retrospective. There's inetersting material laying arround, no doubt, but the overhemling quantity of it, just makes you numb. And combine it with from time to time popping up commercials, this is some recepy for your mental exhaustion.

Dayvan Cowboy
Brian David Gilbert
Everything from surrealist comedy to psychological horror. This guy is brilliant.

Alan Resnick
His work appears across multiple channels (Adult Swim, IFC, and alantutorial), but it's pretty much all on YouTube. Twisted, dark, surreal comedy that often contains secret codes and ties in with ARGs.

ContraPoints
I don't always agree with her politics, but she presents surreal, funny, and thorough explorations of philosophy and political subjects, using different characters to perform conflicting viewpoints. Thought provoking and enjoyable.

Renegade Cut
Insightful looks at politics and popular culture, particularly Star Trek (which I'm obsessed with).

Don't Hug Me, I'm Scared
Fantastic horror-comedy web series taking the form of a bizarre and twisted kids' educational TV show, complete with puppets and singing. Lots of Easter eggs and cryptic references to dig into.

The 4ger
Found out about this one because it was followed by BOC's channel. Music videos for crazy mashups of samples from TV, music, movies, etc. Turned out to be a side project of Jack Danger from Meat Beat Manifesto.

The Urban Rescue Ranch
Just a guy in Texas taking care of a bunch of adorable animals (farm and exotic mainly) and memeing. Very wholesome and fucking hilarious.

NightMind
Analysis of internet content, with a focus on YT series, creepypastas, and ARGs.

subMedia
They make cool videos, check em out.

Dayvan Cowboy
The Creatures of Yes - a surreal and funny puppet show in the vein of Sesame Street all made with retro TV gear.

Friendly Stranger
i like a lot of relaxing content because my brain always needs a way to calm down

Firebox Stove - https://www.youtube.com/c/fireboxstove/videos
guy goes on wilderness adventures and cooks food on his own range of cooking products, lots of cool nature and cool dogs. he's got a calming voice too which is a plus.

HMS2 - ハムスターのミニチュア工房2 - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCseOe3 ... jK2NoEpnaA
person who makes a bunch of cute dioramas and miniature things, really cute and interesting.

Foo the Flowerhorn - https://www.youtube.com/c/FootheFlowerhorn/videos
person who cares of Flowerhorn fish and documents creating terrariums for other small fish and shrimps

kiwami japan - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCg3qsV ... aJQ/videos
the classic, guy who makes knives out of basically anything you can think of. the mad genius himself

Chocolate Cacao チョコレートカカオ - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCqzebz ... tRw/videos
delightful chocolate themed cooking channel, super high quality and polished content. he always sprinkles cocoa powder on his creations at the end in a dramatic fashion.

NileRed - https://www.youtube.com/c/NileRed/videos
chemistry and science channel, really cool experiments and creations. i recommend his latest video on making transparent wood.

Baumgartner Restoration - https://www.youtube.com/c/BaumgartnerRestoration/videos
a personal favorite. softly spoken handsome man restores paintings and artwork. definitely one of the best channels on youtube right now, just skip past the sponsored segments.

might add to this list as i remember more

Sherbet Head
Wow. Thanks for giving me a ton of cool stuff to check out. Awesome.

Dayvan Cowboy
Stuart Davies
A Bob-Ross style channel that focuses on teaching oil painting in a tonalist style

Company Man
Overviews of various big name companies that detail how they've managed to survive or ended up failing

Dark Simpsons
Remixes various clips of The Simpsons into one short very dark storyline

TheRealJims
Simpsons review channel

EmpLemon
He seems to do videos on just about whatever interests him, but they're always very in depth and engaging. A former YTPer and his techniques are put to good use

Fredrik Knudsen (Down the Rabbit Hole)
Deep dives into pretty obscure topics in a very neutral tone, almost like an actual documentary. His "TempleOS" video is one that still stands out today

Internet Historian
Like the previous, but much much more comedic in tone

Civvie11
Game review channel that focuses on retro or retro inspired FPS games. I think I remember someone once describing him as "AVGN meets Pee-Wee's Playhouse"

Whang!
Does videos on various events that have happened on the internet, mysteries in gaming, and even cheesy horror movies

Oddheader
Random bits of video game trivia, things like strange easter eggs and things not really meant to be seen in the final game. His video style reminds me of old Gametrailers and ScrewAttack videos.

STiP0
Basically a historian on the original Dead Rising game, going over things like beta builds, cut content, and even the NA cover art.
In here is a tragedy, art thou player or audience?
Be as it may, the end doth remain:
all go on only toward death.
There is nothing which cannot become a puppet of fate
or an onlooker, peering into the cage.

Friendly Stranger
rodox_head wrote:Stuart Davies
A Bob-Ross style channel that focuses on teaching oil painting in a tonalist style

Company Man
Overviews of various big name companies that detail how they've managed to survive or ended up failing

Dark Simpsons
Remixes various clips of The Simpsons into one short very dark storyline

TheRealJims
Simpsons review channel

EmpLemon
He seems to do videos on just about whatever interests him, but they're always very in depth and engaging. A former YTPer and his techniques are put to good use

Fredrik Knudsen (Down the Rabbit Hole)
Deep dives into pretty obscure topics in a very neutral tone, almost like an actual documentary. His "TempleOS" video is one that still stands out today

Internet Historian
Like the previous, but much much more comedic in tone

Civvie11
Game review channel that focuses on retro or retro inspired FPS games. I think I remember someone once describing him as "AVGN meets Pee-Wee's Playhouse"

Whang!
Does videos on various events that have happened on the internet, mysteries in gaming, and even cheesy horror movies

Oddheader
Random bits of video game trivia, things like strange easter eggs and things not really meant to be seen in the final game. His video style reminds me of old Gametrailers and ScrewAttack videos.

STiP0
Basically a historian on the original Dead Rising game, going over things like beta builds, cut content, and even the NA cover art.

civvie and oddheader are great, gonna check out these other ones

Dayvan Cowboy
Kestrel investigates - a comedy web-series about a paranormal investigator from Yorkshire called agravaine kestrel and his cameraman mike going on explorations of ghosts and extraterrestrial sightings. Worth watching (two series & two specials)

Yew zyr - you’ve all probably watched his Star Trek: acid party video at some point, but his channel (and his bandcamp) is intriguing

Friendly Stranger
totally forgot about another really good japanese diorama channel

Hanabira工房 - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyyp7X ... UuA/videos

Dayvan Cowboy
arvy wrote:I don't like youtube, the internet would be much more interesting place without it, in my opinion. Trying to avoid youtube as much as I can. Tho, sometime ago I was collecting random youtube videos on my disk. From local news to half life retrospective. There's inetersting material laying arround, no doubt, but the overhemling quantity of it, just makes you numb. And combine it with from time to time popping up commercials, this is some recepy for your mental exhaustion.

Not so sure about that first sentence, but I actually kind of agree with the rest. "From time to time" is an extreme understatement, they're practically extortion for YT premium at this point.

Sherbet Head
Really? No mention of David Firth?
phpBB [media]

Or how about abstractions?
phpBB [media]

Spoiler: show
Make sure close captioning is on.

Dayvan Cowboy
I'll have to make a note of abstractions since it jogs a memory somewhere.

For stuff a little more out there, how about Burden:
phpBB [media]

Sherbet Head
rodox_head wrote:Burden

I was going to mention Burden as well, but I actually wondered if the subject matter would be well received or not. I was inclined to think not. Great channel, though.

Posts Quantity
Local58 - Cause it's the visual equivalent of MHTRTC.
The Modern Rogue - Weird shit, I like the amateur radio stuff they do.
Computerphile - Computers made simple. I like the ones describing old algorithms for simple computers, like QUicksort or BitBLT.
Mathologer - Extremely long videos on math that are actually fun to watch.
Sebastian Lague - Cool coding writeups that aren't boring.
Bandsplaining - Talking about every bad chapter in music history, not milestones though. Really obscure stories.
Atomcentral - Guy from LLNL who restores old nuclear test film reels.
Sumsub - More computer tuff, mainly about privacy on the internet. Really well edited.
Let's Game It Out - Making virtual people suffer for amusement.
ALEXKANSAS - More ARG stuff. Those old educational films you saw as a kid, on benadryl.
Fly!

Dayvan Cowboy
sandrail wrote:Local58 - Cause it's the visual equivalent of MHTRTC.

I would check out KrainaGrzybowTV then. More like Geogaddi sometimes too.

Dayvan Cowboy
Molest me not with this pocket calculator stuff.

Dayvan Cowboy
seconding Contrapoints - I get why she took down some of her videos from when she was pre-/mid-transition, but I miss them all the same. oh well! great channel!

Dayvan Cowboy
Waterbagel wrote:seconding Contrapoints - I get why she took down some of her videos from when she was pre-/mid-transition, but I miss them all the same. oh well! great channel!

She had a conversation with Dr. K (HealthyGamerGG) about that sort of thing that's really interesting to watch:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cKrxP44Gp_0

I've been casually watching his stuff too lately and I think I can recommend him as well.

Dayvan Cowboy
A couple others that I regrettably neglected to mention:

Mr. Beat - Social studies teacher who covers the history of a variety of topics such as presidential elections, state/city/nation comparisons, and supreme court cases, as well as other isolated topics of history. The videos aren't flashy, but very interesting.
https://www.youtube.com/c/iammrbeat/videos

Edatlin - Cartoonist/animator who also does alantutorial(Alan Resnick) style tutorial videos that are both funny and dark at times. Also his voice is fun to imitate :lol:
https://www.youtube.com/c/edatlin

Next

Return to The Playground