Looking for good TV series

Random chat: movies, books, games, technology, etcetera.

Moderators: Mexicola, 2020k, Fredd-E, Aesthetics

Dayvan Cowboy
if you haven't seen The Americans, seriously phenomenal. spy thriller based on Soviet spies living as Americans through the Reagan years
- great soundtrack
- GREAT ending
- the stakes never get too exaggerated

just.. the whole thing. chef's kiss

Happy Cycler
I'm about 3/4 of the way through Vigil (https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episodes/p09pm77q/vigil)

I'm sure it uses *a lot* of artistic licence, but i do love a bit of (post) Cold War conspiracy. Always been fascinated by submarines too.

Boqurant
I'm really enjoying "Nine Perfect Strangers" on Hulu at the moment. The writing and acting are great.
+++++++++++++++++++++
bandcamp

Dayvan Cowboy
Midnight Mass was a pretty good watch. Love the unsettling vibe in it.
When I was a little kid my mother told me not to stare in the sun

Dayvan Cowboy
Kastanjemanden (The Chestnut man) is a really great scandinavian serial killer murder mystery from the people who made Bronn (The Bridge).

Started today and almost finished already. Recommended.
When I was a little kid my mother told me not to stare in the sun

Sherbet Head
Regardless of your personal opinion of professional wrestling, I suggest Dark Side of the Ring. As a lifelong fan, the show has been a fascinating look for me personally at some of the stories of one of the oldest forms of entertainment in history. Professional wrestling is performed in one form or another on nearly every continent and is enjoyed by millions of fans the world over. This week's episode was the most anticipated episode for me because it told the story of Frontier Martial-Arts Wrestling. If you were around in the wild days of the early internet, Frontier Martial-Arts Wrestling was the holy grail of tape traders like myself who couldn't get enough. We would frequent shady bulletin board systems and newsgroups to buy copies of copies of tapes that were never meant to be seen outside of Japan. I guess the best comparison would be to anime fans who used to pay outrageous sums of money for poorly dubbed episodes of Evangelion.

phpBB [media]

Sherbet Head
Waterbagel wrote:if you haven't seen The Americans, seriously phenomenal. spy thriller based on Soviet spies living as Americans through the Reagan years
- great soundtrack
- GREAT ending
- the stakes never get too exaggerated

just.. the whole thing. chef's kiss

Just finished season 1. Really good series so far, and people say it gets progressively better towards the end. Really like the cold war vibes, superb acting and plots.

Highly recommended!
"What you are looking for, is where you are looking from."

Dayvan Cowboy
nice Gazebo. there's a season or so where things take a turn, and you kinda wonder a bit (not in quality, just in feeling/direction), but I promise that sticking it out through the series finale is so, so, so worth it

Sherbet Head
Waterbagel wrote:nice Gazebo. there's a season or so where things take a turn, and you kinda wonder a bit (not in quality, just in feeling/direction), but I promise that sticking it out through the series finale is so, so, so worth it

Is it a controversial season where some people really like the direction and some less so?

Gonna start S02 soon, looking forward to it!

That woman who plays the Russian girl is so super hot btw haha! An extra reason to watch.

Sherbet Head
The Americans was a good show. Random fact: Matthew Rhys (Phillip) is Welch. I didn't know this for like the first two seasons. When I heard him speak in his normal voice in some interview I was like whoa, he's been deceiving people this whole time, just like his character :lol:

Dayvan Cowboy
yeah, Rhys got me with that pretty good, too. and yeah -- Keri Russell has been a celebrity crush of mine for years and years :lol:

I'd say it's the pacing that changes a bit, but I think it makes sense in the context of the show. in fact, on a rewatch, i didn't even notice it as much which, to me, puts it in the "it's just a bit different" bucket rather than "that was a bad season" bucket (as some shows are wont to have)

Sherbet Head
Waterbagel wrote:yeah, Rhys got me with that pretty good, too. and yeah -- Keri Russell has been a celebrity crush of mine for years and years :lol:

I'd say it's the pacing that changes a bit, but I think it makes sense in the context of the show. in fact, on a rewatch, i didn't even notice it as much which, to me, puts it in the "it's just a bit different" bucket rather than "that was a bad season" bucket (as some shows are wont to have)

Was this season 3 by any chance? I'm going through that season now. I do really like it actually don't get me wrong, but it's very slow but not in a bad way for me. It's a good thing I'm very patient and love these slow series where they really take their time building characters and plot for later. But I could understand why people would bail ship.

I fucking love this show so much, love the cold war stuff and setting, the tension and the characters. And the acting is just brilliant!

Sherbet Head
sorry if this has already been discussed (didn't want to dig through 10 pages)... has anyone else caught up on Ozark? what a masterpiece of cinema!

Dayvan Cowboy
Currently watching Flight of the Conchords.

- "What's your name?"

- "Bret."

- "Brit?"

- "Bret."

- "Brit."

- "Bret"

- "As in Brittany?"

- "No, as in B-R-E-T"

- "Ah! Bret! I couldn't tell because of your British accent."

- "New Zealand actually."

Halfway through the first series, really funny in places.
For a band constantly having meeting's, Murray never get's them any gigs! :wink:

Sherbet Head
Orbited insanitarium wrote:For a band constantly having meeting's, Murray never get's them any gigs! :wink:

Wait until you see the episode where he does.

Dayvan Cowboy
zeoevil wrote:
Orbited insanitarium wrote:For a band constantly having meeting's, Murray never get's them any gigs! :wink:

Wait until you see the episode where he does.

Just seen that one. You can't get much of a crowd around the corner from an airport can you?

Eagle Minded
Currently half way through my first ever watch of The Sopranos. The pacing feels a bit off in places and it has some corny moments, but overall I'm really enjoying it!

It's definitely doing a good job of tiding me over until the final season of Better Call Saul starts.

Previous

Return to The Playground