The Cost of Living Crisis

Random chat: movies, books, games, technology, etcetera.

Moderators: Mexicola, 2020k, Fredd-E, Aesthetics

Dayvan Cowboy

F*cking ludicrous. It's the same old story for the Tories year after year. Simple fact: they don't care one iota about the common person. I come from a working class family, people in my household are paid minimum wage for physical labor, the same hours of work as across the nation. It's unsurprising but it really disgusts me to see Liz Truss who is from a similar background thinking that tax cuts are the way to soften the blow to millions. These cuts to the rich will also likely affect inflation, which will be more bad news for the poorest working class. A second hit.

It's not just the UK though who will have a tough winter, Europe is taking a similar blow due to the obvious.

Like so many, I'm not looking forward to the next few months. But I want to strike a compassionate note in my unusual bitterness and ask how you're all doing. And also, if you have one, your take on this.

Happy Cycler
Kwarteng's so-called mini budget was nothing less than an act of fiscal terrorism. His trader mates are currently shorting the pound and making millions off it. It's disgusting.

Now there's talk of interest rates hitting 6% next year. If that happens, we are truly fucked.
Sagan: In order to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe.

Basinski: I wanted Cascade to become this crystalline organism like a star or a liquid crystal spaceship, a jellyfish traveling through the galaxy…

Dayvan Cowboy
They know they're not winning the next election so it's a quick smash and grab before they go. Never mind it's going to kill thousands. Sickening, but that's what happens when you cultivate a political system that doesn't select for competence and compassion.

Dayvan Cowboy
fujee wrote:we are truly fucked.

Seems like the whole continent is.
In here is a tragedy, art thou player or audience?
Be as it may, the end doth remain:
all go on only toward death.
There is nothing which cannot become a puppet of fate
or an onlooker, peering into the cage.

Posts Quantity
1986 Summer Fire

Sherbet Head
Financial system collapse is on the horizon. All going according to plan. But hey, at least we have the opportunity to build back better!
"What you are looking for, is where you are looking from."

Boqurant
I'm a bit scared about the political situation of my country right now, we just had the first round of elections and things seem much worse than I expected. There's too much misinformation and ignorance around. On a brighter note, the fact that there were no news of people beating each other that day is a good thing, since weeks before the election some people died in fights caused by differing political opinions.

Dayvan Cowboy
The inevitable budget U-Turn in a few hours. Among more backlash no doubt. We'll always be in complete shtick while this country is run by the conservatives.

Remulo wrote:I'm a bit scared about the political situation of my country right now, we just had the first round of elections and things seem much worse than I expected. There's too much misinformation and ignorance around. On a brighter note, the fact that there were no news of people beating each other that day is a good thing, since weeks before the election some people died in fights caused by differing political opinions.

I have a friend on here from Brazil. I've heard about the volatile political landscape there from them. Read somewhere that the vote is compulsory? How's it going at the moment?

Edit: Kwasi's left the cabinet. Well then, cheerio chancellor. :shock:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/uk-politics-63221738

Boqurant
Orbited insanitarium wrote:I have a friend on here from Brazil. I've heard about the volatile political landscape there from them. Read somewhere that the vote is compulsory? How's it going at the moment?

As we move closer and closer to the day of the second round of votes, the weeks have been basically filled with accusations from both parties towards the two presidents that are competing. It seems like the "conservative party" as popular as it is, is going to lose.
And yeah the vote here is compulsory, but you have the option to not vote on anyone at all. That happend a lot this year on the first round and is one of the reasons I'm worried about the political situation of Brazil.

Eagle Minded
Orbited insanitarium wrote:I have a friend on here from Brazil. I've heard about the volatile political landscape there from them. Read somewhere that the vote is compulsory? How's it going at the moment?

not good!!
a good deal of people are protesting the election results and blocking highways, people are more and more inserting religious rhetoric and grandiose theories of conspiracy into their politics, and my dad wants a military coup now.

Dayvan Cowboy
kakanara wrote:

not good!!
a good deal of people are protesting the election results and blocking highways, people are more and more inserting religious rhetoric and grandiose theories of conspiracy into their politics, and my dad wants a military coup now.

Bejeebus.

Sounds like your country is a couple of events away from someone storming a capital building like in the US a couple years back. Been reading up on it, and it's definitely getting vicious.

I'm assuming your dad is a tad right-wing kim?

Eagle Minded
Orbited insanitarium wrote:
Bejeebus.

Sounds like your country is a couple of events away from someone storming a capital building like in the US a couple years back. Been reading up on it, and it's definitely getting vicious.

I'm assuming your dad is a tad right-wing kim?

a lot of political pundits have imported the whole storming the capitol scheme into brazillian politics from the US, honestly for the last 10 years or so politics here has been largely summed up by 'copying whatever the US is doing'

and yea my dad is on that side of the fence. hates me for not taking political stances

Return to The Playground