Do you have a facebook?

Random chat: movies, books, games, technology, etcetera.

Moderators: Mexicola, 2020k, Fredd-E, Aesthetics

Sherbet Head
Mexicola wrote:Got to say, whatever you think of Facebook, Zuckerberg, politicians...that 'grilling' was embarrassingly lightweight and superficial.

phpBB [media]

I've never watched The Social Network but there's that scene where he's up before some committee or other and he's dismissive to the point of rudeness because they have no clue about what he's up to. It wasn't quite that bad, but I swear I saw him smirk when that old fart asked him how they make money without charging users. Cringe worthy.

Slow down...

http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/news/scie ... 0412147176

Sometimes The Daily Mash is so on the money it's incredible.

Slow down...

Sherbet Head
Mexicola wrote:http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/news/science-technology/senate-asks-zuckerberg-while-youre-here-can-you-set-up-our-printer-20180412147176

Sometimes The Daily Mash is so on the money it's incredible.

Nice one! :lol:
"What you are looking for, is where you are looking from."

Happy Cycler
Here's my two cents (because I know everyone was waiting with baited breath for my input!)

I personally think that disconnecting from FB or social media is kinda silly, unless you genuinely don't use it, then that's cool, but if you were a user then you're not a user because of these leaks or whatever else, then I don't really get it.

Mostly because to be active within today's society, you kinda have to be part of the whole thing. If you have shared personal details with anyone then you're on a system somewhere.
I really just think it's about how you use it and approach it. I mean I don't really use facebook too much but I scroll through it often.
i'm not nearly important enough to be noticed through the sea of information that hackers probably gain access to every other moment that goes by.

I think if you wanna truly disconnect then you have to live with no bank account, no car, no internet, no electricity in a wood shack in a place which no one knows exists.
Else you're "on the grid, man", you're "in the system". You can't be a rebel in the internet age while being part of the culture of the internet age.

It's about what you do with it and how you approach it. Also by keeping your passwords crazy long and hard to crack, which is still impossible.

Telepath
The Telepathic Kid wrote:I really just think it's about how you use it and approach it. I mean I don't really use facebook too much but I scroll through it often.

Facebook collects a whoooole lot more about you then what you post/submit.

The Telepathic Kid wrote:I think if you wanna truly disconnect then you have to live with no bank account, no car, no internet, no electricity in a wood shack in a place which no one knows exists.

For me it's the other way around. For me to truly connect with you I have to give away my bank account number, my license plate number, my browser history, my electricity service provider and my home address to a company I don't want to get to know.

Happy Cycler
Cupz wrote:Facebook collects a whoooole lot more about you then what you post/submit.

oh gosh I know that, but like every site that ever uses cookies is doing the exact same thing.
Like if you've ever used google then the same exact thing is going on.

It's just more transparent with social media.

I dunno it feels futile to really try and not have the man track you nowadays, that's my point.

Not saying that anything you guys are saying is ill informed or anything, but just technology is in every facet of our life more or less, and every bit of that technology can be tracked. By whom? Who knows, but it's tracked.

Someone's probably reading this right now as I type it and going "yeah buddy, you got that right"

Friendly Stranger
The Telepathic Kid wrote:futile

Imageutile

Friendly Stranger
https://www.upguard.com/breaches/s3-localblox

The UpGuard Cyber Risk Team can now confirm that a cloud storage repository containing information belonging to LocalBlox, a personal and business data search service, was left publicly accessible, exposing 48 million records of detailed personal information on tens of millions of individuals, gathered and scraped from multiple sources.

This data includes names, physical addresses, dates of birth, scraped data from LinkedIn and Facebook, Twitter handles, and more.

Fredd-E shared this, ironically, on Facebook.

So, I shared it, ironically, on Facebook as well.

Now, I am sharing it here. I always suspected Facebook employees went through some shit, but at close to minimum wage? I felt pins and needles in my face reading this on the bus...I was shocked.

https://www.volkskrant.nl/f-a4596844
PLEASE LISTEN TO MY QUEER ELECTRONIC POP MUSIC: 2020k.Bandcamp |Twenty20k.com

Previous

Return to The Playground