Looking for good TV series

Random chat: movies, books, games, technology, etcetera.

Moderators: Mexicola, 2020k, Fredd-E, Aesthetics

Sherbet Head
rainier wrote:I haven't been a big tv watcher in years, but I really enjoyed the show Six Feet Under a few years ago. Oh and The Wire is great too.

six feet under is probably my favorite of all time. It just really hit me at the right time in my life.

I also loved X files, West Wing. Both has some iffy seasons but were overall great. I didn't feel that way about six feet I thought the whole thing was terrific.

Sherbet Head
My friend just recommended west wing to me and I really wanna check it out, because she has decent taste. I am so picky about series, most do nothing for me, but I like to have something to put on when I draw and crochet.

I just started watching that show New Girl on netflix, and I'm shocked by how much I love it. I am so not a sitcom person at all (I loved them as a kid though) but its so funny and endearing and zooey deschanel is the cutest human.
All of old. Nothing else ever. Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

Sherbet Head
rainier wrote:My friend just recommended west wing to me and I really wanna check it out, because she has decent taste. I am so picky about series, most do nothing for me, but I like to have something to put on when I draw and crochet.

I just started watching that show New Girl on netflix, and I'm shocked by how much I love it. I am so not a sitcom person at all (I loved them as a kid though) but its so funny and endearing and zooey deschanel is the cutest human.

The first two seasons of West Wing were incredible, great writing, quick witted and wonderful chemistry among the cast members. It just came together right. I've been watching newsroom, Aaron Sorkin's new show, it is really good but only a shadow of what West Wing was imo. I have to admit I actually learned a bit about government watching the show as well, it was only peripheral but still I got a bit out of it other than just enjoyment.

Sherbet Head
machinea wrote:
rainier wrote:I haven't been a big tv watcher in years, but I really enjoyed the show Six Feet Under a few years ago. Oh and The Wire is great too.

six feet under is probably my favorite of all time. It just really hit me at the right time in my life.

I also loved X files, West Wing. Both has some iffy seasons but were overall great. I didn't feel that way about six feet I thought the whole thing was terrific.

Oh man, there are some bits of that show that will stay with me. Forever! Like the scene where all the females are camping and they get high and sing Calling All Angels, I am tearing up now just thinking of it!! And of course the end of the last episode, amazing! And for me this was the show that introduced me to BoC!

One Very Important Coder
I saw a couple of great recommendations here, I'll repeat them and add a couple more:

Peep Show
Jam
Brass Eye
The Day Today
Nathan Barley
The Office (UK)
Extras
Spaced
Black Books
The IT Crowd
Garth Marenghi's Darkplace
That Mitchell and Webb Look
Green Wing
Nighty Night
Community

Happy Cycler
I am downloading Northern Exposure purely because I like that there is a Moose on the boxset. Anyone seen it? Thoughts?
Sagan: In order to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe.

Basinski: I wanted Cascade to become this crystalline organism like a star or a liquid crystal spaceship, a jellyfish traveling through the galaxy…

Sherbet Head
I LOVE northern exposure. It was one of my favorite shows when I was younger. Great characters. I rewatched it a few years ago and still thought it was great.
All of old. Nothing else ever. Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

Dayvan Cowboy
fujee wrote:I am downloading Northern Exposure purely because I like that there is a Moose on the boxset. Anyone seen it? Thoughts?

You won't be disappointed.

Happy Cycler
I look forward to it :D
Sagan: In order to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe.

Basinski: I wanted Cascade to become this crystalline organism like a star or a liquid crystal spaceship, a jellyfish traveling through the galaxy…

Boqurant
did someone say the wonder years yet? :) amazing show
seeya

Dayvan Cowboy
Eerie, Indiana

Dayvan Cowboy
WeHadNormality wrote:Eerie, Indiana

Looks interesting, gonna watch episode 1 now.
Borné dans sa nature, infini dans ses vœux, l'homme est un dieu tombé qui se souvient des cieux.

Posts Quantity
Guido wrote:

Damn, I completely forgot about that one! Used to watch it a lot when I was like 9. This just brings up some intense memories...Weirdly enough, I've never talked with anyone about that show until now, no one's watched it or even seemed to know about it back then, although it was on TV a lot for at least half a year on what must have been about the only children's TV channel in Germany at the time.

Dayvan Cowboy
Scyye wrote:
Guido wrote:

Damn, I completely forgot about that one! Used to watch it a lot when I was like 9. This just brings up some intense memories...Weirdly enough, I've never talked with anyone about that show until now, no one's watched it or even seemed to know about it back then, although it was on TV a lot for at least half a year on what must have been about the only children's TV channel in Germany at the time.

Yeah, it aired in the U.K about 91/92, when I was 12/13. I got the box set about 4 years ago and watched the lot in a weekend. Still made me laugh. Proper quirky kids TV. Love it.

Boqurant
I've heard good things about Black Mirror, but have not seen any episodes since it's a UK show.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2085059/reviews?ref_=tt_urv

Anyone have any opinions about it?
Last edited by futureling on Wed Oct 02, 2013 10:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“The most exquisite paradox… as soon as you give it all up, you can have it all. As long as you want power, you can't have it. The minute you don't want power, you'll have more than you ever dreamed possible.”
― Ram Dass

Count Chroma: https://soundcloud.com/countchroma

Happy Cycler
futureling wrote:I've head good things about Black Mirror, but have not seen any episodes since it's a UK show.

Yeah definitely, it's really cool!

Boqurant
Thanks - I will seek it out.
“The most exquisite paradox… as soon as you give it all up, you can have it all. As long as you want power, you can't have it. The minute you don't want power, you'll have more than you ever dreamed possible.”
― Ram Dass

Count Chroma: https://soundcloud.com/countchroma

Dayvan Cowboy
futureling wrote:I've head good things about Black Mirror, but have not seen any episodes since it's a UK show.

I'd rate both series as some of the best UK TV in the last couple of years, and there's been some crackers - Utopia, The Fall, Broadchurch, Southcliffe, Sherlock.

Sherbet Head
I remember really liking eerie, Indiana as a kid l. I should check it out, I don't remember much.

I think I forgot to mention Freaks and Geeeks. It only ran one season, but that was a great series. I think american series tend to drag on well past their prime in a lot of cases, but some got cut too short a little too soon, like Freaks and Geeks or My So Called Life.

Dayvan Cowboy
rainier wrote:I think I forgot to mention Freaks and Geeeks. It only ran one season, but that was a great series.

PreviousNext

Return to The Playground