Switch to full style
Random chat: movies, books, games, technology, etcetera.
Post a reply

Looking for good TV series

Thu May 23, 2013 12:24 am

During the past months I've been on a complete X-Files binge and I will be reaching the series finale in about a month. Through this I discovered that television shows are actually pretty cool and I would like to watch more shows after this one. Can you guys recommend some cool ones beside the famous ones (specifically Twin Peaks, Lost, A Game Of Thrones..). I've never been an avid series person so I'm pretty much lost as to what is available. It doesn't have to be super weird or artsy or anything, just give me some good shows. I'm thinking of giving Californication a chance since I've grown fond of David Duchovny as an actor through the X-Files.. Would you recommend that?

Thu May 23, 2013 12:34 am

I haven't been a big tv watcher in years, but I really enjoyed the show Six Feet Under a few years ago. Oh and The Wire is great too.

Thu May 23, 2013 1:27 am

Oh man, X Files... I just re discovered it this year and found how good it is, full of great stories and ideas. I love to watch it all the saturday late at night on tv network.

I can recommend you :

Superjail (beautiful psychedelic, surrealist adult cartoon)

The twilight zone (like x files a lots of great sf, surnatural stories ideas)

Lost.

Battlestar Galactica.

The classic Sopranos.

The 3 first Californication seasons.

24h season 5.

Invasion is a friendly tv serie if you like sf and alien stories, not a masterpiece but it have something interesting.

Try also this one : breaking bad, dexter, Fringe (X files erzatz full of reference of it, and some stories are very similar), six feet unders, homeland...Excepted for six feet unders, I liked the first episodes of them but disliked thoses series when I finished their first season.

Thu May 23, 2013 3:36 am

Plus one on the above Super-Jail recommendation! Another Adult Swim show with lot of character depth and development is the Venture Bros., now about to start Season 5, think Johnny Quest on acid!

Thu May 23, 2013 7:18 am

Mad Men.

Best thing on TV - it is pretty much the only series I make a point of watching. The writing is fantastic, great performances, it LOOKS beautiful, the cultural references are spot on. It will make you want to drink whisky during the day, take up smoking and have sex with a secretary though.... Probably my favourite series ever - the other contender being:

Band of Brothers.

Only one series, and a few years old now (2001-ish), but worth tracking down on DVD.

Thu May 23, 2013 5:21 pm

rainier wrote:I haven't been a big tv watcher in years, but I really enjoyed the show Six Feet Under a few years ago. Oh and The Wire is great too.

A big agree to both of these, probably my two favourite series ever. Closely followed by The Killing 1,2 and 3 and The Bridge.

Oh and for an all-time classic you can't go wrong with The Prisoner.

Fri May 24, 2013 6:18 pm

I second Lost for sure !

Fri May 24, 2013 6:22 pm

Geodesic wrote:I can recommend you :

Superjail (beautiful psychedelic, surrealist adult cartoon)

This.

Oh, and Eerie Indiana is really really good as well.

Sat May 25, 2013 12:09 am

I forget Cowboy Bebop !

Sat May 25, 2013 12:10 am

Yes I second Cowboy Bepop!

Sat May 25, 2013 2:59 am

rainier wrote:Yes I second Cowboy Bepop!

I'll see your Cowboy Bepop and raise you a Ghost in the Shell. Sometimes during the whole RSD deal I couldn't help but think of the Laughing Man saga in GitS. Both series on they've shown on Adult Swim are just stunning the their detail. Highly recommend!

Sat May 25, 2013 3:23 am

Three suggestions:

The Twilight Zone (1959–64 version) - absolutely brilliant. Can't recommend it enough.
The Big Bang Theory - started in 2007, so it's a bit more modern. Follows the lives of Sheldon and Leonard, two scientist-roommates, and their friends. Hysterically funny, in my opinion.
The IT Crowd - BBC comedy. Also incredibly funny. Follows the escapades of the IT department at the fictional "Reynholm Industries" (not quite sure of the spelling).

Sat May 25, 2013 1:05 pm

I'm a huge x-files fan, absolutely love it. Just watched Twin Peaks recently too, and it's just as good. I got nothing to recommend unfortunately, but looking for a good new show now too, so cheers for the suggestions. If anybody's got any more that they'd recommend to someone into Twin Peaks and X-files, that would be great.

And yeah, Sopranos, Breaking Bad and Boardwalk Empire are all very good too. Like the old Twilight Zones a lot too, and some episodes of The Outer Limits.

Sat May 25, 2013 1:25 pm

Samurai Champloo.
The soundtrack is magnificent.. it's from Nujabes, one of the best Jazz Hop producers there was. :cry:

Sat May 25, 2013 1:37 pm

Must add my weight to Breaking Bad, and The Sopranos. Both absolutely addictive.

Sat May 25, 2013 1:43 pm

Thanks everyone! I will check out everything but especially The Twilight Zone and The Prisoner look interesting to me.

DaveJ wrote:I'm a huge x-files fan, absolutely love it. Just watched Twin Peaks recently too, and it's just as good. I got nothing to recommend unfortunately, but looking for a good new show now too, so cheers for the suggestions. If anybody's got any more that they'd recommend to someone into Twin Peaks and X-files, that would be great.

And yeah, Sopranos, Breaking Bad and Boardwalk Empire are all very good too. Like the old Twilight Zones a lot too, and some episodes of The Outer Limits.

After I'm done with the X-Files I will probably watch The Lone Gunmen and Millennium, both by the creator of The X-Files, Chris Carter.

Sat May 25, 2013 1:45 pm

Guido wrote:Thanks everyone! I will check out everything but especially The Twilight Zone and The Prisoner look interesting to me.

DaveJ wrote:I'm a huge x-files fan, absolutely love it. Just watched Twin Peaks recently too, and it's just as good. I got nothing to recommend unfortunately, but looking for a good new show now too, so cheers for the suggestions. If anybody's got any more that they'd recommend to someone into Twin Peaks and X-files, that would be great.

After I'm done with the X-Files I will probably watch The Lone Gunmen and Millennium, both by the creator of The X-Files, Chris Carter.

meant to check out Millennium. To be honest, I didn't really like the Lone Gunmen in the x-files, although I have to admit that they could be funny at times, so I don't think I could watch a series dedicated to them.

Sun May 26, 2013 3:47 pm

Breaking Bad of course! Walter White's transformation makes him one of the most interesting TV show characters ever. Bryan Cranston is phenomenal, as is the rest of the cast. The cinematography and choice of music is also really well done. It's also got some great humor despite it being quite a dark series. I'm so excited for the finale this year.

Sun May 26, 2013 4:12 pm

Fringe. Fringe. Fringe. Fringe. Fringe. Fringe. Fringe. Fringe.

Twin Peaks

Lost

American Horror Story

Edit: The Twilight Zone has been mentioned in here? Yes X10000000000.

Sun May 26, 2013 4:23 pm

2020k wrote:Fringe. Fringe. Fringe. Fringe. Fringe. Fringe. Fringe. Fringe.

Twin Peaks

Lost

American Horror Story

Edit: The Twilight Zone has been mentioned in here? Yes X10000000000.

A few friends recommended Fringe to me actually. Might have to give that a look.
Post a reply