The Internet Is Evil! WAKE UP!

Random chat: movies, books, games, technology, etcetera.

Moderators: Mexicola, 2020k, Fredd-E, Aesthetics

So much for WhatsApp and it's encryption then.

WhatsApp backdoor allows snooping on encrypted messages

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/ ... _clipboard

Slow down...

Sherbet Head
Mexicola wrote:So much for WhatsApp and it's encryption then.

WhatsApp backdoor allows snooping on encrypted messages

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/ ... _clipboard

I'm going back to one-time pads and shortwave radio.

Telepath
The worlds largest tracking-agency buys an IM client and people asumed it was private?

Dayvan Cowboy
-/...././ /../-./-/./.-./-././-/ /../.../ /.../-/../.-../.-../ /.--./.-././-/-/-.--/ /..-./..-/-.-./-.-/./-../ /-/-.../....

Sherbet Head

Telepath
still though AAAAH!

Eagle Minded
I'm beginning to really distrust Discord. Has anybody had a look at their privacy policy? Scary.
Mexicola wrote:Marcus had that beard and longer hair waaaaay back.

Dayvan Cowboy
Has anyone else noticed that ever since the CIA vault seven leaks about the capabilities of modern Tech for spying on and affecting the lives of those they choose to target, the 'Science and Technology' tab on facebook trending news (seen on the right side of the home page) is a dead link or simply un-clickable. I am guessing it will be that way until the news dies down but for as long as it is a popular science and technology subject, the entire subject will be off limits on FB.

'Why do you have Facebook still?!' - I have facebook under a pseudonym with no friends added and no pictures literally just to speak to my girlfriend because she hates phone-calls.

Dayvan Cowboy
Scratch that, it just came up within the hour of me posting this. For the past few days, starting at the point the Vault 7 news leaked, it was disabled.

Sherbet Head
Valotonin wrote:Scratch that, it just came up within the hour of me posting this. For the past few days, starting at the point the Vault 7 news leaked, it was disabled.

Right, it "just came up" hours after posting that...uh-huh... :shock:

Telepath
Also, about that what's-app encryption discussion earlier. Guess what, in light of vault 7: http://news.softpedia.com/news/vault-7- ... 3653.shtml

Guess you can't trust Vice on these issues either.

Nova Scotia Robot
Cosmic Manta wrote:I'm beginning to really distrust Discord. Has anybody had a look at their privacy policy? Scary.

Well, I don't really share much on there that could be used to harm me. So I'm not really worried about it even if they end up being jerks.

New Seed
it is probably suicide (postponed 'til some future decade) to post this, but hear me out.

why is it not breathtakingly obvious to more people: we (a mindset, a generation, a planet, a species?) are a test group. we are showing our willingness to submit to transmitting data about our irl social networks on a much more subtle level than some think. "blocking"? "filters"? they're all providing very clear information to someone who understands the mind. when you have a web of interconnecting data about this many human beings' relationships to one another... and capitalism running unchecked... it's worth thinking about the idea that perhaps we are providing a dataset that could be used as blackmail later on. i could imagine being faced with a tough decision if asked to pay the remainder of my life savings to stop certain ex-friends from seeing certain text messages. or thoughts.

is what i'm saying coming across clearly?

the nsa/fbi/cia/??? probably has a video of me typing this.

-formica

Dayvan Cowboy
I get it - as I've posted previously -

jcnporter wrote:When a wee while ago I said this -

jcnporter wrote:That's all very well and you're undoubtedly taking a sensible approach, however part of the problem is that it's not really possible to for you to determine what's 'innocent' and what's not in the future - this will be decided by the government and media and others as they see fit.
Nor is it necessarily the government you need to be concerned about. Mentioned a health problem or drug use in a passing comment online? Employers and insurance companies will pay someone to mine that information - let's see what that does to future insurance policies or mortgage or job applications. This is only one example.
Also, you'd better watch out for anyone with a camera phone. And what are your friends doing? You're a registered 'associate' of them on social media, even if it's just through a photo (which remember the social media providers own and can use for whatever they like in the future - advertising for example).
Maybe you've got rid of all your social media use as a precaution - unfortunately some employers are apparently seeing a lack of a Facebook account as something to suspicious of - what are you trying to hide?
I'm not saying we should all stop using the net, however it's easy for people to get complacent and they already have done.

I didn't realise that it was actually happening. This is from a BBC article about credit scores (highlights are mine) -

"But several new companies believe that lenders could get more up-to-date information by analysing social media.
One of them says that the number of friends someone has on Facebook could be a useful credit score indicator.
Someone with lots of friends is likely to be more trustworthy, the company claims, as their profile will probably be genuine.
Other clues can be gained from what people post about, and whether they plan spending in advance.
"From organising going for drinks in the pub, to booking a holiday months in advance, people who plan ahead tend to be better at managing their finances"
"Regularly going out for lunch or coffee indicates higher income."
Another company has said it might even count the number of times someone uses the word "wasted" on Facebook.
The companies say they only access data they have permission to use. Nevertheless, you have been warned."

In the future you will be refused credit, insurance, a job, or maybe a travel visa because of what you have posted on social media. Maybe you already have been. The corporations are clever, capitalism gets you to hand over your information voluntarily. But those in power can't help themselves, they can never resist the authoritarian impulse.
With every terrorist attack, or even every time a celebrity is trolled online, the shrill cry will rise about 'regulating' the internet, or in other words, you must allow monitoring of all your internet activity.
To anyone from Generation Y or Z reading this - you will have to choose, more than any previous generation, between 'safety' and freedom. Although it will be promised to you, a risk-free life does not exist, it cannot ever exist. The government cannot legislate away your fears.
Remember that and choose wisely.

Dayvan Cowboy
I changed my political course recently, on my youtube playlist, and the first thing, that I get is an answer board from the youtube it self, how I'm sattisfied with the youtube work recently? Seems weird. Clearly they are monitoring me.

Telepath
I'm at the point where I'm not even going to bother stating the obvious anymore. I think I'm growing up.

Dayvan Cowboy
Good point, or bad point, as you like, you can't fight teh system, those kids who think can change the world probably should go outside sometimes

Dayvan Cowboy
arvy wrote:those kids who think can change the world probably should go outside sometimes

Dayvan Cowboy
Big data being used to try and influence elections, more on links between Trump and Brexit - do yourself a favour and take the time to read this -

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2017/may/07/the-great-british-brexit-robbery-hijacked-democracy

Dayvan Cowboy
Valotonin wrote:
arvy wrote:those kids who think can change the world probably should go outside sometimes

No individuals can't change the world, but seeing cynicism as wisdom is nothing new under the sun, and generations Y and Z, like many before them, will get fucked because they don't vote. Rinse and repeat.

PreviousNext

Return to The Playground