Do you get anxious by blinking lights in your instruments?

Random chat: movies, books, games, technology, etcetera.

Moderators: Mexicola, 2020k, Fredd-E, Aesthetics

Eagle Minded
My little arranger keyboard has 3 tiny LEDs in it's display that serve as a metronome. Whenever i think about those 3 little blinking LEDs that are older than me i always get very anxious, scared of the idea of them burning out. Sometimes i can't even play in the keyboard because of those thoughts. Do you guys feel the same way? How do you deal with that?

Also seeing those guys in youtube with giant racks of modular synths that haven't been turned off in years with hundreds of blinking lights makes me cower everytime.

I do sometimes wonder what will happen when pivotal lights on things inevitably burn out, but it hasn't been too big of a source of anxiety for me. I get it though. There have been instances where I have worried about lights burning out of common household items, to the point where I turn them on and worry about wearing something out, but I can't think of any examples right now.

Eventually, I rationalize that I could contact the manufacturer and ask for their advice, or wind up somewhere like Gear Slutz where I'm sure someone would be able to point me in the direction of fixing the issue.
PLEASE LISTEN TO MY QUEER ELECTRONIC POP MUSIC: 2020k.Bandcamp |Twenty20k.com

Dayvan Cowboy
Blinking lights on my speakers and computers are really frustrating. Thankfully as far as instruments go, I play the drums, and at this point only have acoustic ones, so no rogue lights, wires, or tech issues to worry about. I hit them and they make noise.

New Seed
you'd be pleasantly surprised at how (relatively) easy it is to repair electronic keyboard instruments ! rarely does an instrument gets faulty to the point where it can't be fixed

most of them share the loads of the same problems, dirty switch contacts, dirty pots, cracked solder joints, loose cables, etc etc and audio repair has lots of helpful info readily available in forums if you know what to search for

check out markusfuller on youtube ! he buys music stuff in carboot sales and repairs them, and the repairs almost always require little more than deoxit spray or minor soldering

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m6dZVvvQ_Ck&t=425s

Eagle Minded
Well, I don't have much blinking lights on my gear but they do have tons of drive belts and moving parts which I'm always very anxious about. I recently had to fix my Fostex R8 with epoxy glue (!!) and every second I watch those damned reels turn I get more anxious about the machine failing on me.

I suffer really badly with anxiety generally, but this has never triggered me I'm pleased to say.

It HAS annoyed the living fuck out of me however. The blue LED's on my Diezel VH4 are ridiculously bright while the strobe function of my TC Electronic Polytune3 is great for flushing out any hidden epileptics concealed anywhere within a half mile radius.

Slow down...

Eagle Minded
(x/y)xyz wrote:you'd be pleasantly surprised at how (relatively) easy it is to repair electronic keyboard instruments ! rarely does an instrument gets faulty to the point where it can't be fixed

most of them share the loads of the same problems, dirty switch contacts, dirty pots, cracked solder joints, loose cables, etc etc and audio repair has lots of helpful info readily available in forums if you know what to search for

check out markusfuller on youtube ! he buys music stuff in carboot sales and repairs them, and the repairs almost always require little more than deoxit spray or minor soldering

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m6dZVvvQ_Ck&t=425s

my problem and the source of my anxiety is that parts specific to the instrument are very hard for me to get. The LED display that i talked about are specific to a range of yamaha keyboards that aren't produced anymore. If they were to break i would have to buy spares from another broken keyboard, which is really hard to do where i live. I found a broken model of my keyboard online but it would cost me almost the price of a new one to ship it to where i live.

But thanks for linking me the channel it seems very helpful. Maybe i can try to finally fix one of the speakers in my keyboard. Stereo here i come 8)

Eagle Minded
Taped over the lights. Surprisingly effective!

Return to The Playground