Everything is now looking back?

Random chat: movies, books, games, technology, etcetera.

Moderators: Mexicola, 2020k, Fredd-E, Aesthetics

Happy Cycler
Sl Flk wrote:That's a very good question. Hopefully the vaccine will sterilise enough folk so that we don't have to commit genocide in the future. If not, then those at the top of the pyramid will look for a candidate to which they'll give complete power. It could be a person that only expresses good, kindness and wholesomeness. But like lord of the rings, when absolute power is given to someone pure and good, that's when it's most dangerous of all.

It's becoming apparent that when things get sticky, leaders of nations are elected as showmen and women by the 'real' people behind the curtains who don't want to get their hands dirty of face the blame/shame of history. But when crimes against humanity happen, everyone is responsible.

And why exactly did you opt for the usage of "genocide" in conveying your point here?
Okay...now...wait for fog machine.

Dayvan Cowboy
Sl Flk wrote:That's a very good question. Hopefully the vaccine will sterilise enough folk so that we don't have to commit genocide in the future. If not, then those at the top of the pyramid will look for a candidate to which they'll give complete power. It could be a person that only expresses good, kindness and wholesomeness. But like lord of the rings, when absolute power is given to someone pure and good, that's when it's most dangerous of all.

It's becoming apparent that when things get sticky, leaders of nations are elected as showmen and women by the 'real' people behind the curtains who don't want to get their hands dirty of face the blame/shame of history. But when crimes against humanity happen, everyone is responsible.

If people would be more aware like this, it wouldn't be as frustrated, as it now. Don't need a revolution outside, but at lest SAY SOMETHING. Everyone is just doing, as being told, this is hilarious, it almost makes quesiotn your sanity. I'm coming back to office this monday and for the first I wil have to take a test. They will put some sticks in my nose and see which numbers computer going to throw. Am I ok enough for a baseline?

As part of dying culture, it really pains me. Cause you really want to be a part of that world, share the knowledge, communicate. It is just feels deceptive somehow now.

Happy Cycler
I don't know how it is that I can continue to not do as I'm told yet it meas I fall into a political group. I'm sick of that. I never took part in your games.
Okay...now...wait for fog machine.

Eagle Minded
geez i dont know what sort of weird phenomenon is going on in developed countries but over here in the third world things have only gotten better(with the exception of the middle east but thats a case apart). I find it weird you say that people in poorer countries are starving like it wasn't 3 times as bad 20 years ago. And i think you're intelligent enough to know that basically all
countries in development were under the control of some dictatorship or junta. It might be difficult to process with all the negative news and conspiracy theories, but if you look back a few decades back you'll realize that the world in general is at the best it's ever been.

Happy Cycler
kakanara wrote:geez i dont know what sort of weird phenomenon is going on in developed countries but over here in the third world things have only gotten better(with the exception of the middle east but thats a case apart). I find it weird you say that people in poorer countries are starving like it wasn't 3 times as bad 20 years ago. And i think you're intelligent enough to know that basically all
countries in development were under the control of some dictatorship or junta. It might be difficult to process with all the negative news and conspiracy theories, but if you look back a few decades back you'll realize that the world in general is at the best it's ever been.

This is a really important and overlooked point I think. It's an *incredibly* priviliged position to be in to be posting online in a wealthy western country about how awful everything is and to indulge in conspiracy and culture wars out of what? Boredom?

Eagle Minded
Hey hey, im not trying to elevate myself to some sort of higher standard just because i live in a third world country, i am just pointing out that claiming that we are now in some sort of dark age where everyone does what they're told when just 30 years ago people were still gobbling up anti-communist/anti-capitalist propaganda is a bit silly. Saying we are turning biomass into human mass even more so, considering nowadays there are very few states doing that in a large scale. Look back 40 years and every communist or militarist country was doing some sort of genocide. If you go a bit further still, 55 years ago the Khmer rogue existed, and that by itself sums up how bad things were on the past.
Yes the current world has it's problems, Hong Kong has been taken over, social media seems to have an insatiable urge to control us, covid is ruining a whole generation of students, etc, etc. But i cannot see how one could claim that this could be possibly worse than the threat of nuclear annihilation, mass widespread genocide, and dictatorships being the norm in most countries.

Happy Cycler
kakanara wrote:Hey hey, im not trying to elevate myself to some sort of higher standard just because i live in a third world country, i am just pointing out that claiming that we are now in some sort of dark age where everyone does what they're told when just 30 years ago people were still gobbling up anti-communist/anti-capitalist propaganda is a bit silly. Saying we are turning biomass into human mass even more so, considering nowadays there are very few states doing that in a large scale. Look back 40 years and every communist or militarist country was doing some sort of genocide. If you go a bit further still, 55 years ago the Khmer rogue existed, and that by itself sums up how bad things were on the past.
Yes the current world has it's problems, Hong Kong has been taken over, social media seems to have an insatiable urge to control us, covid is ruining a whole generation of students, etc, etc. But i cannot see how one could claim that this could be possibly worse than the threat of nuclear annihilation, mass widespread genocide, and dictatorships being the norm in most countries.

Hi, sorry - that wasn't what I meant at all; quite the opposite. It was meant as a criticism of those of us from wealthy, developed western countries bemoaning the state of the world via made up conspiracies and weird culture war bullshit, rather than taking a wider (and less western-centric) view about development and social improvements in other parts of the world. There's lots of awful stuff going on across the world, but it doesn't help to overlook all the progress that we are (slowly) making. The arc of history bends towards justice - I genuinely believe that.

Apologies if my original comment was poorly worded :)

Eagle Minded
Oh sorry, i guess i misunderstood your comment. Sorry, i look like a fool now :P

Dayvan Cowboy
always seems like humans go through that period, where we start thinking we had it right in the past; what that message looks like is just whichever demographic is the 'target' for that kind of marketing

we did this in the 90's with the 70's, we did this in the aughts/early 10's with the 80's, and you can see the 90's slipping back in

needing trends to market helps push that along a bit too :wink:

Boqurant
Look on the bright side...
Your children can get straight A's never having sat an exam...result!!
And we don't have to make our own steel anymore....we can buy it from China (who cares if its poor quality....it's a bargain and we all love a bargain LOL
Friends, you owe it to yourself and your family to leave the congested city, and enjoy what nature intended you to enjoy.

Dayvan Cowboy
I was gonna write some long winded essay on how past subcultures should be seen more legitimately on their own merits and such (goth and new wave especially, retro wave currently) and to stop mythologizing past decades despite the myriad of actual problems within them, but I think I'll just be succinct about it.

Everything is a product of its time, Every movement moves against another, but in the hyperspeed culture of the internet age it's easy to stagnate in isolation or fall into commodification. It's no wonder a sense of longing arises these days.

Spoiler: show
In here is a tragedy, art thou player or audience?
Be as it may, the end doth remain:
all go on only toward death.
There is nothing which cannot become a puppet of fate
or an onlooker, peering into the cage.

Dayvan Cowboy
Has anyone here heard of SpaceHey? I heard about it on another forum as an alternative to the likes of Facebook. It seems like a MySpace clone/throwback, not that I would know since I never used the site back when it was a big deal. Curious if anyone here has any opinions since I'm a little divided on it. It's layout seems fine enough, but there's a lot of 2000s emo nostalgia within it that I don't know how seriously I can take it.

It's just one of those things that makes me wonder how much of what we look back on is just nostalgia, or was actually better and taken for granted.
In here is a tragedy, art thou player or audience?
Be as it may, the end doth remain:
all go on only toward death.
There is nothing which cannot become a puppet of fate
or an onlooker, peering into the cage.

Eagle Minded
They were/are trying to save as many as they could.... I think.

Previous

Return to The Playground