Keeping up in the modern age

Random chat: movies, books, games, technology, etcetera.

Moderators: Mexicola, 2020k, Fredd-E, Aesthetics

Dayvan Cowboy
I second all that ^ !

EDIT: lol, well, it doesn't work if i'm the first post on a new page.

Gazebo4 wrote:-- some good stuff

I second all that ^ !

Sherbet Head
Waterbagel wrote:EDIT: lol, well, it doesn't work if i'm the first post on a new page.

Haha :lol:
"What you are looking for, is where you are looking from."

Eagle Minded
This is an excellent subject.

I'm trying to raise a child and the most difficult problem has been, in short, the internet.
I refuse to post anything about my child, including name, age, sex, location, and I forbid anyone in my family or my in-laws from sharing images or identifying information online.
It has been a fucking nightmare because apparently, it's offensive to some people when they can't share photos of your child.

On top of this, the content... Oh God, the sheer volume of content. Unless I force an environment that is wholly unlike that of the rest of the world, my child has no choice but to experience life the same way as many other children, which is completely bombarded with content. Most of it is garbage, to be fair, but I can't undo the damage done by the rest of the world. This includes daycare professionals who might play on their phones all day in front of the children, all the way to the goddamn tablet that sits on the table of a restaurant (for electronic payment and kids games).

I find myself sometimes locked into a routine of checking things of interest online.
Wake up, check Twoism, check the AP for headlines, make sure there aren't any new videos about such and such subject of interest, etc.

One of the most recent comments on this thread was brilliant. I'm new here and don't know how to quote it for reference but it's directly above.

I find that I yearn for an age when I was a child because it seems more innocent than this age is now. But when I think deeper I realize that also sucked and I hated it when I was in it.

For me, there is no keeping up. There is only trying as hard as I can to ensure that I am influenced by the state of the world today as little as humanly possible. And I try just as hard to ensure my child is not influenced. The amount of content available makes it very difficult because it's not entirely about content so much as it is about the availability of that content. It is everywhere and it is inescapable sometimes.

Obviously, I am coming from a place of anger and sadness. I hope that I didn't derail this conversation completely but it is something that I am extremely saddened by.

Dayvan Cowboy
I do not envy anyone trying to raise a child in the age of permanent screens, and especially trying to maintain an air of privacy in a world where lives are lived online.

It's that that's made me realise I'm getting old, I think. Being from an era when it was expected that the internet was something anonymous you could dip into. Once the first generation of kids grew up where it was just a thing that every thought you ever had is online and searchable and therefore normalised it suddenly makes us the odd ones to be trying to hold it at a distance, maintaining privacy, keeping things analogue wherever possible.

TV shows trying to stay relevant by inviting on celebrity contestants who turn out to be social media stars who have a reach that outstrips the ratings of the show they're guesting on by a factor of tens if not hundreds. There's a whole ecosystem out there that's connected like an ant supercolony or a worldwide mycelial network undercutting the buildings and the roads that have been the concrete reality of generations gone. The streets are quiet, the party is underground.

What's funny to me is it doesn't bother me to feel old. I could've sworn it would. But this isn't my world any more, it's theirs. I can't hope to keep up with it and I'm fine with that. There is much to find quiet, personal joy in in this world. Much to notice moving slowly, going the long way around. It's fashionable, on and off, to get lost in nostalgia, of course it is, we wouldn't be here if that weren't so. But it's also incredibly freeing, and a more honest way to live to embrace the process of aging as well as the superficial aesthetics.

Eagle Minded
You captured it precisely. I think that's the first time I've seen it written so well. Thank you for that because you've given me a narrative that explains this feeling a hell of a lot better than I could've ever hoped to explain it to myself.

Happy Cycler
Yes. Well said, Negamuse.

Dayvan Cowboy
I third what you say, Negamuse. As a kid I used to really want to be a dad, but now the thought of bringing a kid up into a world that I myself don't really (and pretty much never did) understand doesn't sit well with me as an adult.
In here is a tragedy, art thou player or audience?
Be as it may, the end doth remain:
all go on only toward death.
There is nothing which cannot become a puppet of fate
or an onlooker, peering into the cage.

Eagle Minded
Fredd-E wrote:Keeping tabs on all things BoC shouldn’t be a daunting task. Just follow bocpages. I do all the work for you. :)
thank you to our sponsor :D

Dayvan Cowboy
https://en.savefrom.net/1-youtube-video-downloader-43/

download YouTube videos. bypass commercials

Eagle Minded
arvy wrote:https://en.savefrom.net/1-youtube-video-downloader-43/

these websites are always being taken down. you should look into a software solution like atube catcher if you're looking for a long term solution

Dayvan Cowboy
They tend to be alright for a bit and then suddenly get malware infested too. I mean im glad they exist but just be warned they're not always safe

Dayvan Cowboy
Google’s self promotion in adverts before every YouTube video is getting me annoyed.
Top tip: go for a random browse on YT and drink a shot every time you hear "that’s why i use the google app." on an advert. You might be drunk in 30minutes or less! :wink:

Dayvan Cowboy
arvy wrote:https://en.savefrom.net/1-youtube-video-downloader-43/

I just use an ad blocker, at least for desktop usage.

Dayvan Cowboy
Do we try to keep up in the modern age, or is it vice versa?
"they say as they raise a skull in their palm to the sky"

Whilst re-watchin S.E.Lain I noticed a hyper-dramatized thumbnail for a video about the murderer Alyssa Bustamente, which is a name I hadn't thought about since my early high school days browsing Encyclopedia Dramatica, and I started to wonder if the dead really can find another life in the wired. Other instances of young souls came to mind: the girl who was murdered on Instagram by a jilted lover (whose name I do not recall, which is for the better), the girl who recorded herself, as the kids say, doing the un-alive with a single tree (whose name I do not recall, which is for the better), or the closest thing to a real life Lain "Cracky-Chan" who fled from the public eye (whose name I do not recall, sensing a theme here?). For the record, I considered Cracky-Chan the real life Lain before that bumarse Meme Analysis made a video about her. How many more could be laid to rest in the public domain of a digital graveyard to have the dirt on their plot kicked around for the sake of "content creation", or to be locked in the unconscious of a few select internet weirdos. This even goes for the living in possibly, as well as definitely, worse manners (Cracky-Chan isn't dead afaik ftr). Never mind the seeds, here's the soil.

Dayvan Cowboy
rodox_head wrote:Do we try to keep up in the modern age, or is it vice versa?
"they say as they raise a skull in their palm to the sky"

Whilst re-watchin S.E.Lain I noticed a hyper-dramatized thumbnail for a video about the murderer Alyssa Bustamente, which is a name I hadn't thought about since my early high school days browsing Encyclopedia Dramatica, and I started to wonder if the dead really can find another life in the wired. Other instances of young souls came to mind: the girl who was murdered on Instagram by a jilted lover (whose name I do not recall, which is for the better), the girl who recorded herself, as the kids say, doing the un-alive with a single tree (whose name I do not recall, which is for the better), or the closest thing to a real life Lain "Cracky-Chan" who fled from the public eye (whose name I do not recall, sensing a theme here?). For the record, I considered Cracky-Chan the real life Lain before that bumarse Meme Analysis made a video about her. How many more could be laid to rest in the public domain of a digital graveyard to have the dirt on their plot kicked around for the sake of "content creation", or to be locked in the unconscious of a few select internet weirdos. This even goes for the living in possibly, as well as definitely, worse manners (Cracky-Chan isn't dead afaik ftr). Never mind the seeds, here's the soil.

It's an interesting thought for sure, everything is locked in the database, dead or alive it's always going to be there, and possibly used for views and likes.
Your whole post reminded me a bit of cleverbot (the conversation droid) i recall a chat with it on the website a while ago, i went back a week later and it continued exactly where we left off. Remembering every small detail.
i'm positive that the site cookies are key for that to happen.

Going off topic slightly, i had to search up Encyclopedia Dramatica as i was intrigued. I read the wikipedia page and took a visit to the current web address.
Definitely was NOT expecting what came up! :shock:
Kind of surprised It's still there to be honest. I wasn't sure whether to be shocked or confused.

Dayvan Cowboy
Facebook is a future graveyard. Same like the old black and white movies are. One is a digital graveyard if not a sealed catacomb another is a ghost theatre.

Dayvan Cowboy
Orbited insanitarium wrote:Going off topic slightly, i had to search up Encyclopedia Dramatica as i was intrigued. I read the wikipedia page and took a visit to the current web address.
Definitely was NOT expecting what came up! :shock:
Kind of surprised It's still there to be honest. I wasn't sure whether to be shocked or confused.

Honestly, I'm a little surprised that place is still around. I remember when the original owner tried to turn it into a knock-off knowyourmeme back in 2010 or so, and it's been bouncing around different servers ever since. Its community has to be much smaller than that of 4chan, but I guess they're devoted enough. Kinda interesting/weird to think that when I initially read about Bustamente on there it was actually recent news, news didn't travel the way it does now back then. If Dr. Grande hasn't made a video about that case then it still hasn't. I'm really showing my age here, I don't call myself "rodox_head" for nothing.

Sherbet Head
Cracky is the very last person I thought I would ever see mentioned on this website.

DSFARGEG

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

Dayvan Cowboy
zeoevil wrote:Cracky is the very last person I thought I would ever see mentioned on this website.

DSFARGEG

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

>mfw I have no face

Sherbet Head
phpBB [media]

This video reminded me of this thread. Perfectly hits the nail on the head about this subject.
"What you are looking for, is where you are looking from."

PreviousNext

Return to The Playground