Semena Mertvykh: Russian Invasion of Ukraine

Random chat: movies, books, games, technology, etcetera.

Moderators: Mexicola, 2020k, Fredd-E, Aesthetics

Dayvan Cowboy
Funny, there's solution even to good ole Terminator;]

Dayvan Cowboy
phpBB [media]
In here is a tragedy, art thou player or audience?
Be as it may, the end doth remain:
all go on only toward death.
There is nothing which cannot become a puppet of fate
or an onlooker, peering into the cage.

Eagle Minded
Speaking of this....

I was at a family event that fucking sucked. It sucked because a lot of these people are goddamn hillbillies (I can say that because I tried VERY hard to fit into that culture at one point, and I failed because they don't accept outsiders) and they tend to have some very stupid fucking ideas and things to say.

Well, at one point the whole Ukraine issue came up and, I shit you not, I had to listen to a bunch of absolute morons talk about how it was fake, how Putin is a good guy, and how this is all Biden's fault. They also managed to relate this to high gas prices (if you can't already tell, I'm in the States) and said......QUOTE...

"See, Biden made the prices high by buying all of our gas from the Ukraine. When you pump all that money into importing all of our gas from the Ukraine it creates war. That's how wars are created, by pumping money into other countries. Trump had the best economy ever because he didn't buy gas from ANYONE. We made it all ourselves, here, in America. He didn't have any wars either. Biden started this war because he doesn't want Americans to have jobs."

And it just went on and on and on.

I'm sorry to all the innocent people, especially the children, who have been fucking murdered in Ukraine, by Russian forces, many of whom are apparently ordinary citizens being forced to join the "cause", and I'm blown away by the ability of some people to let that slide by the wayside so that they can flap their goddamn lips about some shit they overheard on some sort of bullshit news network. You know the ones...they have ridiculous names and look like those commercials that try to appear as legitimate by imitating news anchors, etc.?

I had it further explained to me by these people, and essentially what they want is extreme isolationism from the rest of the world, Trump back in office (since the election was stolen in their eyes), and all minorities to give up their fight for equality.

It was disgusting. Embarrassing, really.
Sirens calling out catastrophe, waves of mourning rippling through hillsides, an exodus for us all

Dayvan Cowboy
Sky and Trails wrote:Speaking of this....
Well, at one point the whole Ukraine issue came up and, I shit you not, I had to listen to a bunch of absolute morons talk about how it was fake, how Putin is a good guy, and how this is all Biden's fault. They also managed to relate this to high gas prices (if you can't already tell, I'm in the States) and said......QUOTE...

"See, Biden made the prices high by buying all of our gas from the Ukraine. When you pump all that money into importing all of our gas from the Ukraine it creates war. That's how wars are created, by pumping money into other countries. Trump had the best economy ever because he didn't buy gas from ANYONE. We made it all ourselves, here, in America. He didn't have any wars either. Biden started this war because he doesn't want Americans to have jobs."

And it just went on and on and on.

I don't know what I would do if I was face to face with these people.
I'd probably delve into well worded technicals from a Brit perspective (though it sounds like it'd be a lost cause for them from your description.)

I don't want to stereotype the citizens of your American land, but the political landscape over there seems confusingly lowbrow and low-braincelled. At least what I've been seeing over the last few years.

Sometimes, these mindsets are beyond me. Your folks have a bad case of Republican conservatism. :lol:

Eagle Minded
You would blow them away and it would leave them dumbfounded.
They're the type of people that would think a British accent was somehow "liberal fake news" ;)
Sirens calling out catastrophe, waves of mourning rippling through hillsides, an exodus for us all

Dayvan Cowboy
Ironically enough, my neighborhood is predominantly right wing, with a notable Russian/Ukrainian population, and I never hear anything about the conflict. I'm also a hermit, so there's that too.

Dayvan Cowboy
phpBB [media]

Dayvan Cowboy
phpBB [media]

Dayvan Cowboy
embrace the real

reach for the dead

Dayvan Cowboy
arvy wrote:embrace the real

reach for the dead

None of that seems likely. In fact the opposite sounds more plausible when it comes to Canada

Dayvan Cowboy
arvy wrote:embrace the real

reach for the dead

lol

ok

Dayvan Cowboy
Orbited insanitarium wrote:Sorry Sky and Trails, but using such words never helps even if you disagree with his opinion.

I'll try to remain impartial but I'm not having this topic turn into such insult throwing as this.

To be fair tho, arvy's "you are dumb" comment was also really rude, and not at all in good faith.

Dayvan Cowboy
SamuraiDrifter wrote:
Orbited insanitarium wrote:Sorry Sky and Trails, but using such words never helps even if you disagree with his opinion.

I'll try to remain impartial but I'm not having this topic turn into such insult throwing as this.

To be fair tho, arvy's "you are dumb" comment was also really rude, and not at all in good faith.

I was referring to both.

Both Phrasing's "you are dumb" & "shut the fuck up" are equally bad, but I didn't find the second expletive to be an appropriate response originally.

I hope there are no bad feelings from both Sky and Trails and Arvy from 14th April.
I'd just hoped as the creator of this topic, that we would be civilized in this discussion, considering the subject matter.

Dayvan Cowboy
Orbited insanitarium wrote:.
I'd just hoped as the creator of this topic, that we would be civilized in this discussion, considering the subject matter.

Before you created this thread I was considering making it just to get the title reference out of the way, so don't feel bad if the conversations turned less than civilized. Shit like this is just inevitable I guess.

Dayvan Cowboy
phpBB [media]

Posts Quantity
phpBB [media]
Palace Posy

Posts Quantity
Russian disinformation is even being posted on Twoism? This is sad.

Putin recently stated that it is his destiny to reclaim pieces of the former Russian empire, as Tsar Peter did hundreds of years ago. He openly expresses his desire to destroy the Ukrainian nation and culture. So who still believes that this war is about stopping the American-backed Ukrainian Nazis who are threatening Russia's national security? It's incredible how gullible people are.

This is an imperialistic war of conquest where atrocities are being committed by Russian forces on a daily basis. Putin's 'government' is nothing more than a band of gangsters and terrorists at this point. There is no way to reach a diplomatic solution with such people.

Sherbet Head
SonicDimension wrote:Russian disinformation is even being posted on Twoism? This is sad.

Putin recently stated that it is his destiny to reclaim pieces of the former Russian empire, as Tsar Peter did hundreds of years ago. He openly expresses his desire to destroy the Ukrainian nation and culture. So who still believes that this war is about stopping the American-backed Ukrainian Nazis who are threatening Russia's national security? It's incredible how gullible people are.

This is an imperialistic war of conquest where atrocities are being committed by Russian forces on a daily basis. Putin's 'government' is nothing more than a band of gangsters and terrorists at this point. There is no way to reach a diplomatic solution with such people.

Just like the Russian side of the story is probably bullshit, what you are writing here could just as much be 100% bullshit. Disinformation is everywhere, that's why you best not pick a side.
"What you are looking for, is where you are looking from."

Dayvan Cowboy
Nah, that's lazy IMO... there are facts, and there is information. Just pointing to "there is disagreement therefore the truth is unknowable" is just a way of absolving ourselves of the responsibility to interrogate what we see. Ig yhou treat all information sources as equally suspect you weigh state propaganda from an agressor the same as first-hand information from people directly affected by that agression.

Sherbet Head
Negamuse wrote:Nah, that's lazy IMO... there are facts, and there is information. Just pointing to "there is disagreement therefore the truth is unknowable" is just a way of absolving ourselves of the responsibility to interrogate what we see.

Facts and information can be created and presented in a certain context, and other important events can be left out so the bigger picture becomes obscured. Especially in times of war there is obviously going to be a lot of "fact" checking and presenting from a really biased approach, from both sides that is. But if you want to believe something and take it as absolute truth and claim to know what's really going on and more importantly pick a side based on that, well I ain't gonna tell you not to.

Negamuse wrote:If you treat all information sources as equally suspect you weigh state propaganda from an agressor the same as first-hand information from people directly affected by that agression.

This is also really suggestive. Same could be said about the Western powers, from a Russian perspective.
"What you are looking for, is where you are looking from."

PreviousNext

Return to The Playground