Twoism Gardens?

Random chat: movies, books, games, technology, etcetera.

Moderators: Mexicola, 2020k, Fredd-E, Aesthetics

Sherbet Head
The Equinox is nearly nigh lads. Start sowing those fields!

If you've got houseplants/lovely gardens, feel free to post em' here. Questions, tips, and advice as well.
I think it'd be cool to awaken a gardening-side on this forum.

I've got peony and lily bulbs in the ground beginning to sprout right now but not much else at the moment (tiny bit of frost left where I live). I planted a blackberry sprout many moons ago, it flowered and everything but some goddamn bunny-rabbits beat me to it. These motherfuckers will have me pacing on the pavement at the crack of dawn ready to fucking kill.

I'd like to try out composting for the vegetable garden this year as well (I want huge fruit). Any tips on compost?

Sherbet Head
Ok since clearly none of you are farmers...

The lily bulbs are going without a hitch and the peony bulbs have started to really show off their shoots. I unearthed one the other day to check progress/remove decay and it's forming its eyes beautifully. This is their technical Year 1 so only one or two buds per stem unfortunately. Don't plant peonies in the spring apparently! Learned that lesson the hard way last year when I accidentally turned their Year 1 into Year 0. Next year we'll be able to safely split and duplicate the roots, real excited about that. We've only got three of them for now but we could always use more.

Germinating Lobelia, California Poppies, and Godetia/Azaleas in the house right now. We've got sunflowers, Passion Flower, and Green Envy Zinnias outside. Nothing to show yet but visual updates are sure to follow.

I haven't started on vegetables yet (running out of time) but they're still on the cards for now. My buddies and I want to joint-grow a garden together so it's just been figuring out the specifics.

Friendly Stranger
I do a bit of gardening, mostly helping someone I know with theirs. I enjoy it, but I don't have a ton of time for it, so at home I end up just trying to keep things from getting out of hand rather than really trying to make it nice. I've grown herbs, blackcurrants, tomatoes and courgettes in the past (all very tasty - freshly grown food is so nice) but I'm not currently growing anything to eat.

steeldancer-x wrote:I haven't started on vegetables yet (running out of time) but they're still on the cards for now. My buddies and I want to joint-grow a garden together so it's just been figuring out the specifics.

This is a great way of doing things. There's more pleasure in gardening socially and it's easier to keep things ticking over when there's a group of you and you can fill in for each other if anyone can't be there for whatever reason.

Sherbet Head
Spoiler: show
Monday
Today

Only a week of progress. :shock: Wow!

Kend_Wire wrote:I do a bit of gardening, mostly helping someone I know with theirs. I enjoy it, but I don't have a ton of time for it, so at home I end up just trying to keep things from getting out of hand rather than really trying to make it nice. I've grown herbs, blackcurrants, tomatoes and courgettes in the past (all very tasty - freshly grown food is so nice) but I'm not currently growing anything to eat.

Tomatoes are the best... I grew lightbulb (pear) tomatoes last year, great salad toppings! You can't beat freshly grown if you'd try. Any tips on keepin' the wildlife away? I've been suggested fishing wire, greenhouse, and pesticides but my ears are open to any other ideas.
Microgreens! Do ya like em? :o

Friendly Stranger
steeldancer-x wrote:
Spoiler: show
Monday
Today

Only a week of progress. :shock: Wow!

Looking good!

steeldancer-x wrote:
Kend_Wire wrote:I do a bit of gardening, mostly helping someone I know with theirs. I enjoy it, but I don't have a ton of time for it, so at home I end up just trying to keep things from getting out of hand rather than really trying to make it nice. I've grown herbs, blackcurrants, tomatoes and courgettes in the past (all very tasty - freshly grown food is so nice) but I'm not currently growing anything to eat.

Tomatoes are the best... I grew lightbulb (pear) tomatoes last year, great salad toppings! You can't beat freshly grown if you'd try. Any tips on keepin' the wildlife away? I've been suggested fishing wire, greenhouse, and pesticides but my ears are open to any other ideas.

Used to live somewhere with a greenhouse and it was great for keeping tomato plants safe from pests. Grew a few tomatoes in a big half barrel at one point where they also did fairly well - they were out in the open, but in a paved area quite a distance from other plants and the barrel meant they were a good way off the ground. Not sure if it was a good set-up or we were just lucky with it that year. These days I have a cold frame for keeping seedlings (in pots) safe, but it's only about a foot high so you have to take them out while they're still quite small.

steeldancer-x wrote:Microgreens! Do ya like em? :o

Sure, haha :D I don't exactly eat them every day, but they're nice. Are you a big microgreen-head?

Sherbet Head
Kend_Wire wrote:Used to live somewhere with a greenhouse and it was great for keeping tomato plants safe from pests. Grew a few tomatoes in a big half barrel at one point where they also did fairly well - they were out in the open, but in a paved area quite a distance from other plants and the barrel meant they were a good way off the ground. Not sure if it was a good set-up or we were just lucky with it that year. These days I have a cold frame for keeping seedlings (in pots) safe, but it's only about a foot high so you have to take them out while they're still quite small.

I've taken some of this advice and lined my front-garden (where most of the fruit is) with at least a 1" stone edge, so far that's worked well enough. Better somewhat-fenced protection. Seems I didn't have to worry as much as I thought, the pests are taking it easy this year (knock on wood).

Kend_Wire wrote:
steeldancer-x wrote:Microgreens! Do ya like em? :o

Sure, haha :D I don't exactly eat them every day, but they're nice. Are you a big microgreen-head?

Aw hell yeah I am. Not everyday like you said, but they're the bomb.com

Return to The Playground