EXPLAIN YOUR AVATAR THREAD

Random chat: movies, books, games, technology, etcetera.

Moderators: Mexicola, 2020k, Fredd-E, Aesthetics

Boqurant
Me and my older brother in the early 80s before we had to move away.
Friends, you owe it to yourself and your family to leave the congested city, and enjoy what nature intended you to enjoy.

Dayvan Cowboy
I've always been fascinated by necker cubes because they're a visual demonstration of how truth depends on perspective. The cube isn't "really" facing one way or the other. It depends on how you look at it. Necker cubes are essentially a perfect representation of non-dualism - all "opposing" possibilities are contained within the same image.

So an image combining necker cubes with hexagons seemed perfect for Twoism.

Eagle Minded
I saw a photo of a pizza while scrolling my facebook feed really fast and I thought it was the Geo cover. It wasn't but I made it happen.

Dayvan Cowboy
My current one is a cropped and edited shot of a 3D model in a "compromising" position. I made it when I first started fooling around in GIMP a couple years ago which has actually evolved into an art style for me (turning weird erotica into non-erotic abstract pictures that is). It's cheaper than therapy :P

"rodox_head" is a term I made up for myself to mean "not quite right in the head". BoC's influence runs deep in me, it only took me a good 13 years to understand the artistic merit of "P.C."

Waterbagel wrote:at some point, maybe 2011 or 2012 or so, we were slapping carrots onto our avatars. can't remember why! but why take it away now? :lol:

I think I vaguely remember that, and even participating in it, though I have no idea what I would have been using as an avatar at the time, probably something angsty and sarcastic :lol:
In here is a tragedy, art thou player or audience?
Be as it may, the end doth remain:
all go on only toward death.
There is nothing which cannot become a puppet of fate
or an onlooker, peering into the cage.

Eagle Minded
rodox_head wrote:My current one is a cropped and edited shot of a 3D model in a "compromising" position. I made it when I first started fooling around in GIMP a couple years ago which has actually evolved into an art style for me (turning weird erotica into non-erotic abstract pictures that is). It's cheaper than therapy :P

what a process!!!

Dayvan Cowboy
rodox_head wrote:My current one is a cropped and edited shot of a 3D model in a "compromising" position. I made it when I first started fooling around in GIMP a couple years ago which has actually evolved into an art style for me (turning weird erotica into non-erotic abstract pictures that is). It's cheaper than therapy :P

"rodox_head" is a term I made up for myself to mean "not quite right in the head". BoC's influence runs deep in me, it only took me a good 13 years to understand the artistic merit of "P.C."

Waterbagel wrote:at some point, maybe 2011 or 2012 or so, we were slapping carrots onto our avatars. can't remember why! but why take it away now? :lol:

I think I vaguely remember that, and even participating in it, though I have no idea what I would have been using as an avatar at the time, probably something angsty and sarcastic :lol:

rodox, your avatar reminds me of the nude sculptures that were in the korova milk bar in a clockwork orange "viddy well, little brother. viddy well" :wink: also that background info makes me think you could be a francis bacon prodigy (see the film 'love is the devil') certainly the most interesting avatar info i've heard so far!

Boqurant
I just sorta found this picture after my mom unearthed an old collection of albums. It was either this or a picture of Michael Jackson from when he visited her workplace.
I wait, tense...then disappointed

Dayvan Cowboy
Orbited insanitarium wrote:rodox, your avatar reminds me of the nude sculptures that were in the korova milk bar in a clockwork orange "viddy well, little brother. viddy well" :wink: also that background info makes me think you could be a francis bacon prodigy (see the film 'love is the devil') certainly the most interesting avatar info i've heard so far!

I love Bacon's work, grew up with the Silent Hill series so naturally he's in the equation. I might be more of a Henry Darger or Chriddof prodigy though :P . Your mention of the Korova milk bar reminds me of my habit of using gratuitous Russian sometimes :lol:

NineRubberCops wrote:I just sorta found this picture after my mom unearthed an old collection of albums. It was either this or a picture of Michael Jackson from when he visited her workplace.

What year is the M.J. photo? I'm kinda intrigued.

Happy Cycler
Origins of my username: Mechanism (A neat word) and J (First letter of my first name). Wish I had a do over on that...

I've had a billion avatars over the years. I remember both the owl and the carrot avatar movements. Precious memories.

This is the origin of my latest. Gonna keep this one forever. It's too cool.

phpBB [media]

I appreciate you breathing new life into this place, Orb.

Dayvan Cowboy
mechanismj wrote:Origins of my username: Mechanism (A neat word) and J (First letter of my first name). Wish I had a do over on that...

I've had a billion avatars over the years. I remember both the owl and the carrot avatar movements. Precious memories.

This is the origin of my latest. Gonna keep this one forever. It's too cool.

phpBB [media]

I appreciate you breathing new life into this place, Orb.

The thing I love about twoism is the whole design, from the board index to the users, and the general layout. I can certainly remember scrolling through old topics years ago and saying to myself that I’m going to join one day, I’m so glad you can have discussions about all sorts with such nice people! there are so many topics from years past that intrigue me, and give me good reading, you’re all so interesting! :D
A lot of nostalgia is typed in these sub-forums!

Dayvan Cowboy
I do really like kakanara’s digital alarm clock avatar!
May I ask why you chose it, is it a nostalgic/retro idea? I just don’t know but It’s a keeper! :D

I might not change my current one completely, just maybe a different variation of the same photo. The awe of a full colour photo (if I can find one) may be satisfying.
My polka dotted uncle is not finished yet. :wink:

Eagle Minded
Orbited insanitarium wrote:I do really like kakanara’s digital alarm clock avatar!
May I ask why you chose it, is it a nostalgic/retro idea? I just don’t know but It’s a keeper! :D

it's just the led display on my old keyboard. was the mp3 cover art for on of my first tracks. when i was looking for a profile picture i figured "oh, twoism, its a 2".
no, wait. it's always been a 28. uhhh

Orbited insanitarium wrote:I might not change my current one completely, just maybe a different variation of the same photo. The awe of a full colour photo (if I can find one) may be satisfying.

what a tease :x . can you elaborate on that???

Dayvan Cowboy
kakanara wrote:
Orbited insanitarium wrote:I do really like kakanara’s digital alarm clock avatar!

it's just the led display on my old keyboard. was the mp3 cover art for on of my first tracks. when i was looking for a profile picture i figured "oh, twoism, its a 2".
no, wait. it's always been a 28. uhhh

Orbited insanitarium wrote:I might not change my current one completely, just maybe a different variation of the same photo. The awe of a full colour photo (if I can find one) may be satisfying.

what a tease :x . can you elaborate on that???

Oh, I never knew it was a keyboard! Don’t know why I thought it was an alarm clock, maybe the red lettering made me think of 80s back to the future type retro wave! :D Now I’m fascinated as to how old the keyboard is and to it’s workings :wink:

An example of that gone wrong was the other day, I was in a kitchen waiting for a friend and on the counter in a far corner tucked away was a dual speaker, panasonic, cassette player/boombox from around late-1970s.
my friend was pretty late and was quite surprised when he came in the kitchen to meet me and just at that moment I said in a very loud voice to the boom box...

“look at you! I’d like to put you on my arm, drive around town and blast your super ferrics to hell and back!! FM AM, you’ve got the lot!!”

-his reaction “why are you so weirdly talking to my mums tape machine??”

Startled I jolted around and spouted “Oh! Erm, was I doing that? Yes, yes I was. Wasn’t I?”
That was one little embarrassment I won’t want to relive :wink:

As for my avatar, I might’ve said it on the previous page of this topic but it’s my great great uncle harry (that chap with the shocked expression) who had a spot on local variety in the 70s, this is a publicity shot for a show in Skegness (down the coast in the north)
I’ve always liked the photo, as I think it’s quite quirky and silly.
it’s also my phone wallpaper, my phones quite oddly laid out, for example everyone in my contacts is in the style of a bizarre Aphex twin-track title, my grandma is called "Psu/hBnnn-<krlobs>"
I’d love to think that If i lost my phone and somebody else had it then my grandma would ring and they’d be creeped out by the cryptic nonsense I’ve called everyone!

As soon as I can find a full colour image of uncle harry, I’ll put it on here. I have a few others but I don’t think they’re as good. + you can still only upload your avatar in 150 pixels so there’s that :]
Oh and I didn’t know you made your own tracks, Lucky you! Any chance I’ll hear them in the future?
Everybody keeps their korgs and moogs to themselves here so with no keyboards about i cannot make any music.

Dayvan Cowboy
I like your choice of avatar, Oribited. It always adds an optimistic touch to your posts :)

Eagle Minded
Orbited insanitarium wrote:Oh, I never knew it was a keyboard! Don’t know why I thought it was an alarm clock, maybe the red lettering made me think of 80s back to the future type retro wave! :D Now I’m fascinated as to how old the keyboard is and to it’s workings :wink:

An example of that gone wrong was the other day, I was in a kitchen waiting for a friend and on the counter in a far corner tucked away was a dual speaker, panasonic, cassette player/boombox from around late-1970s.
my friend was pretty late and was quite surprised when he came in the kitchen to meet me and just at that moment I said in a very loud voice to the boom box...

“look at you! I’d like to put you on my arm, drive around town and blast your super ferrics to hell and back!! FM AM, you’ve got the lot!!”

-his reaction “why are you so weirdly talking to my mums tape machine??”

Startled I jolted around and spouted “Oh! Erm, was I doing that? Yes, yes I was. Wasn’t I?”
That was one little embarrassment I won’t want to relive :wink:

As for my avatar, I might’ve said it on the previous page of this topic but it’s my great great uncle harry (that chap with the shocked expression) who had a spot on local variety in the 70s, this is a publicity shot for a show in Skegness (down the coast in the north)
I’ve always liked the photo, as I think it’s quite quirky and silly.
it’s also my phone wallpaper, my phones quite oddly laid out, for example everyone in my contacts is in the style of a bizarre Aphex twin-track title, my grandma is called "Psu/hBnnn-<krlobs>"
I’d love to think that If i lost my phone and somebody else had it then my grandma would ring and they’d be creeped out by the cryptic nonsense I’ve called everyone!

As soon as I can find a full colour image of uncle harry, I’ll put it on here. I have a few others but I don’t think they’re as good. + you can still only upload your avatar in 150 pixels so there’s that :]
Oh and I didn’t know you made your own tracks, Lucky you! Any chance I’ll hear them in the future?
Everybody keeps their korgs and moogs to themselves here so with no keyboards about i cannot make any music.

the keyboard is a yamaha psr510, got it from my rich cousin. i think it was made in 1992. it's a pretty cool keyboard, everything is controlled by pressing combinations of buttons.
dont worry about the boombox embarrassment, it definetely enjoyed the conversation, probably been a while
your uncle's picture is very unusual, wonder what he thought of it
found your phone contact practice very funny, if i'd found it accidentally i'd wager the phone belonged to some high ranking smuggler who needed to talk in code or smt
try using this [https://deepai.org/machine-learning-model/colorizer] on your uncle's full size photo! i tried with the 150px version but it didn't really do anything to it
if you want to check out some of my tunes have a soundcloud and i upload my tracks when i feel like it[https://soundcloud.com/user-238014396]. dont have anything fancy like a bandcamp sadly
you should try making music sometime, even if it's on a daw. surprinsingly easy. i started out when i was your age. dont need no fancy synth, i still don't have one :(

Dayvan Cowboy
kakanara wrote:the keyboard is a yamaha psr510, got it from my rich cousin. i think it was made in 1992. it's a pretty cool keyboard, everything is controlled by pressing combinations of buttons.
dont worry about the boombox embarrassment, it definetely enjoyed the conversation, probably been a while
your uncle's picture is very unusual, wonder what he thought of it
found your phone contact practice very funny, if i'd found it accidentally i'd wager the phone belonged to some high ranking smuggler who needed to talk in code or smt
try using this [https://deepai.org/machine-learning-model/colorizer] on your uncle's full size photo! i tried with the 150px version but it didn't really do anything to it
if you want to check out some of my tunes have a soundcloud and i upload my tracks when i feel like it[https://soundcloud.com/user-238014396]. dont have anything fancy like a bandcamp sadly
you should try making music sometime, even if it's on a daw. surprinsingly easy. i started out when i was your age. dont need no fancy synth, i still don't have one :(

just searched the yamaha, oh how i could reach into the screen and take it for a spin! I actually have a yamaha keyboard hidden somewhere in the top room of my house, i'll rummage around to see if i can find it.
It has no controls, buttons, phasers or oscillators just imitations of other instruments (organ, panpipes, synth etc) but i do remember playing some stuff on it a few years back. :)

some other IDM type contact names are "D[e]^dBeA+ (Cruxyr)" & "Qrgioo26#P/Convolute.patt.E.rns" (they are pretty mad sounding)
I tried the deepai website you recommended, it gives him a semi-greenish hue, i'll try it with others and see what gives!

had a listen to your soundcloud and i'm impressed, i like the tones you use and the kind of blase funny track titles eg; 'ambient drivel' & 'weird gospel' 'unfinished and don't know how 2 continue' if only aphex could be as directly titled as your demo's are. :wink:

As for if i make music, i recorded recently the electrical discharge from the tip of an auxiliary cord transferring the sounds through a radio aerial to get it to do it's thing. i recorded it onto voice memo's and is pretty horrific to listen to (very buzzy)
I called it 'Tyrecvk jukeyzbord' and is about 2-3 mins long, I've also recorded some random people speaking which have been named 'techno sample 1 & 2'
but since i don't have a home computer, the only editing software available is on my library's comps.
i have names for some tunes, but they're all cryptic nonsense, but i like nonsense so i'll keep coming up with more of that :D
thanks kakanara, for the tips!

Eagle Minded
Orbited insanitarium wrote:just searched the yamaha, oh how i could reach into the screen and take it for a spin! I actually have a yamaha keyboard hidden somewhere in the top room of my house, i'll rummage around to see if i can find it.
It has no controls, buttons, phasers or oscillators just imitations of other instruments (organ, panpipes, synth etc) but i do remember playing some stuff on it a few years back. :)

some other IDM type contact names are "D[e]^dBeA+ (Cruxyr)" & "Qrgioo26#P/Convolute.patt.E.rns" (they are pretty mad sounding)
I tried the deepai website you recommended, it gives him a semi-greenish hue, i'll try it with others and see what gives!

had a listen to your soundcloud and i'm impressed, i like the tones you use and the kind of blase funny track titles eg; 'ambient drivel' & 'weird gospel' 'unfinished and don't know how 2 continue' if only aphex could be as directly titled as your demo's are. :wink:

As for if i make music, i recorded recently the electrical discharge from the tip of an auxiliary cord transferring the sounds through a radio aerial to get it to do it's thing. i recorded it onto voice memo's and is pretty horrific to listen to (very buzzy)
I called it 'Tyrecvk jukeyzbord' and is about 2-3 mins long, I've also recorded some random people speaking which have been named 'techno sample 1 & 2'
but since i don't have a home computer, the only editing software available is on my library's comps.
i have names for some tunes, but they're all cryptic nonsense, but i like nonsense so i'll keep coming up with more of that :D
thanks kakanara, for the tips!

thanks for the kind words about my music, i appreciate it a lot
you really should give your old yamaha a spin!! my keyboard also only has the imitation instrument samples, no oscillators as well, in my tracks i only put effects on top of them with a program on my computer.
making up those names does sounds fun, i think i'll start naming my computer programs like that, scare people from opening them
Tyrecvk jukeyzbord and techno sample 1 & 2 sounds interesting, i'd like to hear it.
and wow, no home computer? taking analogue to the next level

Dayvan Cowboy
kakanara wrote:thanks for the kind words about my music, i appreciate it a lot
you really should give your old yamaha a spin!! my keyboard also only has the imitation instrument samples, no oscillators as well, in my tracks i only put effects on top of them with a program on my computer.
making up those names does sounds fun, i think i'll start naming my computer programs like that, scare people from opening them
Tyrecvk jukeyzbord and techno sample 1 & 2 sounds interesting, i'd like to hear it.
and wow, no home computer? taking analogue to the next level

Yes, I’d recommend naming folders gobbledygook, sort of a warning to people you don’t want near it, a big old 'do not press' red button, if you click I’ll infect you with my Richard D. James virus! :lol:

No computer nope, phones and touchscreen and that, but if I want to hear the clickety-clack of a keyboard I go into town.
Plus you only get an hour usage on their computers so when typing, I have to be incredibly fast. There’s always the save draft button which is a post life saver though.

Dayvan Cowboy
Kakanara, thank you so much for recommending deepai! I’ve just put in a few uncle photos and it’s done wonders! I’ve compiled some before and afters for your delectation :D

Him and his comedy partner Bert on stage (black and white) https://ibb.co/wwR6K5R

(Full colour) https://ibb.co/yPqsSmR

I can smell a new avatar in the works!

Eagle Minded
Orbited insanitarium wrote:Kakanara, thank you so much for recommending deepai! I’ve just put in a few uncle photos and it’s done wonders! I’ve compiled some before and afters for your delectation :D

Him and his comedy partner Bert on stage (black and white) https://ibb.co/wwR6K5R

(Full colour) https://ibb.co/yPqsSmR

I can smell a new avatar in the works!

very nice, the image does looks great!

PreviousNext

Return to The Playground