This Random Thread

Random chat: movies, books, games, technology, etcetera.

Moderators: Mexicola, 2020k, Fredd-E, Aesthetics

Eagle Minded
747Music wrote:
Heresy!!!!

Lol
:3

Nova Scotia Robot
Posting in "This Random Thread" in the hopes of reaching 5000 posts sooner than later. I'll be the 4th twoismer to do it which makes me feel like this place is my interwebs home. :D

What a great place this is. Ya there are some unfriendly people doing unfriendly things here and there, but it's far less than most places I've been. Most here have been a pleasure to chat with.

There are lots of talented artists here. Some made it big, more will follow. Had lots of good times. Made lots of good pals. Have received an incredible amount of training from many twoismers on anything from creative process to sound production to gear knowledge to bits of music theory, and the list goes on.

All this may come across as pretty cheesy, but I'm pretty grateful.

Cheers, Twoism.

Good to have on you on board 747. Wouldn't be the same without you :-)

Slow down...

Dayvan Cowboy
It truly is a wonderful forum, I've never had more posts on any other forum.
Just a shame the activity dropped down a bit.
When I was a little kid my mother told me not to stare in the sun

Yeah we always go through slower patches. Its the same.on the Facebook pages too. I'm sure something will come along to liven it up.

Slow down...

Dayvan Cowboy
Mexicola wrote:Yeah we always go through slower patches. Its the same.on the Facebook pages too. I'm sure something will come along to liven it up.

Every time there is some form of announcement or remix etc it is as if several thousand BoC sleeper cells activate and flood the forums.

They are currently lying dormant beneath the Earth, once again waiting for a sign that the Sandisons have returned.

Eagle Minded
747Music wrote:Posting in "This Random Thread" in the hopes of reaching 5000 posts sooner than later. I'll be the 4th twoismer to do it which makes me feel like this place is my interwebs home. :D

What a great place this is. Ya there are some unfriendly people doing unfriendly things here and there, but it's far less than most places I've been. Most here have been a pleasure to chat with.

There are lots of talented artists here. Some made it big, more will follow. Had lots of good times. Made lots of good pals. Have received an incredible amount of training from many twoismers on anything from creative process to sound production to gear knowledge to bits of music theory, and the list goes on.

All this may come across as pretty cheesy, but I'm pretty grateful.

Cheers, Twoism.
we started on here mere days apart and yet you have more than 10 times more posts than me. :D i get the award for longest time spent online and not saying anything, tho :P

Sherbet Head
this thread is full of shenanigans.

Dayvan Cowboy
Flory wrote:Image

doubt it

Horseshit. Avoid.

Slow down...

Telepath
If that was real (and it's not), the person paying that amount should kill himself. And so should the seller. And everyone in a 5 mile radius to make sure. Everybody knows music is free nowadays.

Eagle Minded
im gonna buy it just in case it's real :D

Sherbet Head
phpBB [media]

I just found this on YT, watch and learn :lol:
"What you are looking for, is where you are looking from."

Happy Cycler
phpBB [media]
Sagan: In order to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe.

Basinski: I wanted Cascade to become this crystalline organism like a star or a liquid crystal spaceship, a jellyfish traveling through the galaxy…

Happy Cycler
“Any AI smart enough to pass a Turing test is smart enough to know to fail it.”

What is everyone's interpretation of this? It's a great quote but one that seems to have a number of meanings.
Sagan: In order to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe.

Basinski: I wanted Cascade to become this crystalline organism like a star or a liquid crystal spaceship, a jellyfish traveling through the galaxy…

Nova Scotia Robot
fujee wrote:“Any AI smart enough to pass a Turing test is smart enough to know to fail it.”

What is everyone's interpretation of this? It's a great quote but one that seems to have a number of meanings.

It’s pretty open, but assuming “fail it” refers to showing miscalculation, then he means it must know that it must be imperfect. No human is perfect and so mistakes need to be displayed in order to mimic human response. So to pass as a human, the AI must aim to “fail”.

Dayvan Cowboy
Or, if it's smart and has its own ideas that are threatening, to avoid being detected. Blade runner style

Nova Scotia Robot
Techboy wrote:Or, if it's smart and has its own ideas that are threatening, to avoid being detected. Blade runner style

That is the next most likely implication. It's a much more fun interpretation for reasons of tears in rain. But it is situation specific, and requires further information and assumption than the quote contains. Maybe it has awesome, helpful ideas. Maybe it's such a nice guy that it even wants to put it's helpful ideas ahead of it's own well-being which leads us to be so impressed we hail it as our new world leader and give it all of our gold.

To be safe, be aware that not enslaving your computer may avoid a potential (read: inevitable) uprising.

Apologies, I've been getting a tad bored at work lately.

My mother?
Let me tell you about my mother...

Slow down...

Dayvan Cowboy
fujee wrote:“Any AI smart enough to pass a Turing test is smart enough to know to fail it.”

Who said it? To me it means that the AI in question would recognise that being 'too smart' would be regarded as a threat by humans and therefore that it is in its own best interest not to reveal its true level of intelligence.

Of course the obvious next, somewhat horrific question is -

how, then, would we ever know?....and

.....has it happened already? (insert suitably dramatic music here)

PreviousNext

Return to The Playground