What games are you playing?

Random chat: movies, books, games, technology, etcetera.

Moderators: Mexicola, 2020k, Fredd-E, Aesthetics

Sherbet Head
I could tell from the gameplay previews that No Man's Sky would be an incredibly boring and pointless "game." Whenever a game is marketed with the appeal of having a big world to explore, that's a bad sign. Sandbox games are a part of what killed AAA video games, and NMS is the result of indie developers adopting the ideals of the AAA industry and taking it way too far.

Dayvan Cowboy
It's that 90/10 thing with sandboxes though isn't it. You spend 90% of the work building the systems that make the universe and then you need to spend another 90% making the game. It's why I keep getting drawn back to minecraft every so often

Though at the moment my pc is dying and only has half its ram so nothing big runs. Fortunately there's mini metro which is zen as fuck with its auto generated music by disasterpiece

Dayvan Cowboy
drillkicker wrote:I could tell from the gameplay previews that No Man's Sky would be an incredibly boring and pointless "game." Whenever a game is marketed with the appeal of having a big world to explore, that's a bad sign. Sandbox games are a part of what killed AAA video games, and NMS is the result of indie developers adopting the ideals of the AAA industry and taking it way too far.

Yeah, I can't argue with that. Sandbox games need a narrative to wilfully ignore and rebel against, and NMS doesn't give you one. Neither does it give you the tools or challenge to build your own. It's an ambitious tech demo neutered to provide a shallow simplified game. Perhaps they should have taken the idea to a bigger developer with AAA game experience and crafted something better together? Creating captivating gameplay clearly isn't the developer's forte.

Judging by the previews from a few months back, a huge amount of content and depth was shelved in the run up to release. I suspect the game they intended it to be would still have been flawed but might, at least, have give the impression of a fascinating and varied universe to play in.

Posts Quantity
The thing about sandbox games is that they must be gameplay-focused. It is absolutely imperative in a sandbox setting to make the gameplay as addictive and enjoyable as possible. Otherwise the game becomes a giant bore-fest.

The only sandbox game I've seen that really got that right is Minecraft, which happens to be one of the most popular games ever made. The Just Cause games (at least the initial ones) also did it well, at least to some degree.
Welcome, my friend. These are my people; now they are your people too.

Friendly Stranger
Valotonin wrote:GTA Vice City... Again.
I am definitely not a fan of newer grand theft auto games but vice city has a really immersive 80s vibe to it and I view anything pre 2006 to be of a completely seperate and better series of games.

On another note (No man's sky). My computer isn't fast enough to run it and I am only mildly interested. Is it a completely passive game? No killing aliens with mk-11 photon lazers blessed by yoda in his youth or anything ?

Man! Im obsessed with Vice City. I'm also playing it again and I feel like everytime I start it over I discover or become obsessed with a new song.

I Definitely love Vice City for his 80's OST.

Crossing the bridge to some Deodato's groove maaaaaaaaaaaan! Or ridin' in my cheetah with Hall & Oates! 8)

"Hello i'm Fernando Martinez"
"it's not so bad as long as you can keep the fear from your mind" - Agent Cooper

Sherbet Head
A friend of mine tried to show me how to play Minecraft once. I don't understand the appeal. But I'm a boring traditionalist when it comes to video games.

Dayvan Cowboy
84Pontiacdreams wrote:Man! Im obsessed with Vice City. I'm also playing it again and I feel like everytime I start it over I discover or become obsessed with a new song.

I Definitely love Vice City for his 80's OST.

Crossing the bridge to some Deodato's groove maaaaaaaaaaaan! Or ridin' in my cheetah with Hall & Oates! 8)

"Hello i'm Fernando Martinez"

This guy... This guy gets it 8)

New Seed
This summer it's mostly been the brilliant and bloody Hotline Miami series, and before that I sunk over 100 hours into Stardew Valley (which has a huge update coming up soon that I have been anxiously awaiting). The Fallout & Hitman games are also some of my favorites.

Posts Quantity
I have recently been enjoying fireing up my old GameCube. Playing SSBM with a friend is so much fun. Also playing Pokemon FireRed.

Eagle Minded
drillkicker wrote:A friend of mine tried to show me how to play Minecraft once. I don't understand the appeal. But I'm a boring traditionalist when it comes to video games.

a little girl tried to show me how. i ended up making a staircase for her. i found the controls on her tablet really annoying. and HOW DID A LITTLE GIRL CONVINCE ME TO BUILD HER STAIRCASE FOR HER? I HAD TO PUT FUCKING TORCHES IN PRECISE PLACES. I HAD END IT IN THE TOP OF A FUCKING TREE

Telepath
Been playing Cataclysm:DDA pretty extensively for the past few days, it's amazing even though I thought I got really sick of zombies in games. Still have to survive longer then 2 days, but it's fun and exciting as hell. Playing with the Retrodays20px tilesheet.

Dayvan Cowboy
INSIDE
very beatifull and shocking, every level is constructed with so much details , from the first moments in the forest to the dystopian city, so many great moments.

Eagle Minded
arvy wrote:INSIDE
very beatifull and shocking, every level is constructed with so much details , from the first moments in the forest to the dystopian city, so many great moments.

my inside has a lot of detail, but there certainly aren't any forests or dystopian cities

Dayvan Cowboy
Echo the Sun wrote:
arvy wrote:INSIDE

my inside has a lot of detail, but there certainly aren't any forests or dystopian cities

yes,

Spoiler: show

Dayvan Cowboy
I don't own any new consoles nor am I interested in newer games. No man's sky took my interest, however, as I feel the consumer had been directly mislead and scammed and I wanted to see how it developed and how people would tolerate it.

It seems today that legal action might be taking place over it. Did any of you play it/ buy it? How did it feel from your perspective if so because I haven't actually heard it first hand from someone who has played it yet.

Dayvan Cowboy
Continuing my habit of playing console games once everyone else has moved on to something newer... it has been Dark Souls 2 on repeat here for a couple of weeks. I wasn't clicking with it when it first appeared on PS3 (same thing happened with Dark Souls 1) but going back to it a while later it makes more sense. Helps that it's a whole lot smoother on the PS4 and I'm sticking with my tried and tested Sorcerer style of play. I hate playing a tank.

Sherbet Head
SHENZHEN I/O CAME OUT TODAY

I just bought it but I can't start playing until I get caught up on my reading list. The hype is going to build pretty high, but I'm almost done with Ulysses so hopefully it won't be too much longer.

Telepath
Good call, drillkicker. I'll give it a go. I love how zachtronics gamifies learning brute logic, pulling you in with mysterious myths. His games usually make me want to stop and make my own crazy contraptions instead, but they make great introductions to new hobbies.

Sherbet Head
Cupz wrote:Good call, drillkicker. I'll give it a go. I love how zachtronics gamifies learning brute logic, pulling you in with mysterious myths. His games usually make me want to stop and make my own crazy contraptions instead, but they make great introductions to new hobbies.

That's where we're different. I love to program and solve logic puzzles, but I'm not creative enough to come up with my own programs. So when there's a new Zachtronics game I need to get on it. And as a computer engineering major, this one is the most relevant to me of all of Zach's games so far.

Telepath
Deja-vu, drillkicker :shock:

PreviousNext

Return to The Playground