Twin Peaks: The Series and its References

Random chat: movies, books, games, technology, etcetera.

Moderators: Mexicola, 2020k, Fredd-E, Aesthetics

That wasn't TV. That was something else entirely.

Slow down...

Happy Cycler
Followed it up until number four and have just recently caught up. There's a certain quality to this most recent episode that compels me to feel like it was some sort of unconscious product. A dream he had that he wrote down after waking or something like that. Usually when things get like this and people start comparing the visual sequences to the likes of 2001, it all feels very pretentious to me and the people praising it come off as annoying and far too easily entertained. This has been an exception.

This has been the only exception, actually. I can't think of anything in film or television that has transpired like this and not made me feel the way I described, the feelings I had after watching Enter the Void, or The Tree of Life, or Upstream Color. I don't know if it's that this is not a film but rather an episode of a TV series or simply that there's substance to this that I seldom see. Probably a little of both.
Okay...now...wait for fog machine.

Dayvan Cowboy
Rodheh wrote:...

To be fair, Lynch does see it as an extended film. It seems like he's taken that to a higher level with this revival. He's ditched, at least where I'm up to, the "soap opera" theme of the original. Also, I'm not sure if the slightly lowfi nature of the original was just a product of the time, or if it was intentional. Regardless, there doesn't seem to be any of that here (apart from the special effects of course, but I mean the general quality of the picture and sound).

No, I think he's just really, really good at this point in his life, and he's mentally invested in Twin Peaks.

Happy Cycler
Watched the new one yesterday. Wow. I was wondering where you got your new avatar, Mex. Now I know.

That really was something else.

Boqurant
From now on, if someone asks me for a light, I'm gonna run like hell.
Sorry for my bad english.

New Seed
I`ve been waiting for the new season and it`s really worth watching
I understand your new play there is full of single entendres

Welcome! Agree 100%

Slow down...

Eagle Minded
Some of the symbolism in the early Ronnie Rocket script is having its day--

I've heard complaints of padding the series out, but I remember Lynch renegotiating.. My guess is he got the extra money by agreeing to extra length and dumped that into reasonable production value.

Dayvan Cowboy
Glen_Glog wrote:Some of the symbolism in the early Ronnie Rocket script is having its day--

I've heard complaints of padding the series out, but I remember Lynch renegotiating.. My guess is he got the extra money by agreeing to extra length and dumped that into reasonable production value.

Last episode was clearly a troll ep. Frost was talking it up like it was going to be another episode 8, and then we got a soap opera starring Audrey (not the reappearance we were looking for) involving characters we, to our knowledge, have never met; a disjointed recap of Dr Amp's show for apparently no reason; and that whole sequence with the French woman where they were clearly going "look at Albert, you feel like him right now".

Sarah Palmer's scenes were haunting though.

Eagle Minded
The woman was a glass of Bordeaux. Albert gave us a slow burn. I get what you are saying and a lot of this new series is a giant mess. I've been very happy about it and very disappointed too.

Dayvan Cowboy
I don't think it's a mess. There's a rhyme and a reason to most of it, it's just that there are lots of plot threads starting at once. Maclachlan seems eager to assure us that it will 'all make sense'.

This is the first episode I was disappointed by, really. Otherwise I've been more impressed by this than the original run, and that's saying something.

Dayvan Cowboy
Aerial Boundaries wrote:This is the first episode I was disappointed by, really. Otherwise I've been more impressed by this than the original run, and that's saying something.

Yeah, that's exactly how I'm feeling. I'm hoping that there's some point to Audrey's re-appearence. It was a pretty flat scene save a couple of funny lines.

Eagle Minded
It seemed as though the director was speaking to Audrey through her husband in episode 13

#1 Audrey's return so far has been really disappointing, and she's like, my Twin Peaks Icon, so I hope this Billy character plays a pretty big role soon.

#2 Someone pointed out that it's pretty funny that Diane is working with Bobcooper and is sporting a bob haircut. I love Diane.

#3 Anyone else watching and still holding out hope that something was filmed before David Bowie passed? The Return was written before Bowie passed away and his character's name keeps popping up in conversation, with all of the characters asking where he is.

(Then again, the characters asking that over and over and over again might just be a Lynchian momentum. All of Margaret Lanterman's scenes were filmed right before she passed away and it's almost as if Lynch wrote the Log Lady scenes as a living eulogy to her..they're all heartbreaking).
PLEASE LISTEN TO MY QUEER ELECTRONIC POP MUSIC: 2020k.Bandcamp |Twenty20k.com

Boqurant
Well, I think the "In Memory of... " line at the end of the credits in the previous episode made it clear that this was the only one in which we would see Bowie :(

Eagle Minded
*prediction*

Dougie stuck a fork in the outlet last episode I think Cooper will become fully active after this incident. He will come to attention and seek Cole; the bumbling LV FBI via Cole are looking but he will come to them in tonight's episode.

Dayvan Cowboy
Spoiler: show
"I am the FBI".
Nice one.

Eagle Minded
Is Audrey in a coma or in a lodge or what?

When Coop was comatose I believed he would meet up with her but that didn't happen so because Diane said in a frantic remembrance she was taken away to the 'black lodge' I guess, is Audrey there too? Bad Coop just executed his Son so they had sex?

Please make use of the spoiler function when discussing plot. Muchos grassy arse ;-)

Slow down...

Boqurant
Best episode so far, excited for Sunday :) Hope it'll have a bit happier ending than season 2 :D

PreviousNext

Return to The Playground