Thee Post When Yer Sober Thread

Random chat: movies, books, games, technology, etcetera.

Moderators: Mexicola, 2020k, Fredd-E, Aesthetics

Damn straight. First one on me too. That goes for all of you. Well, y'know, not at the same time. I'm not made of money ;-)

Slow down...

Nova Scotia Robot
Mexicola wrote:Damn straight. First one on me too. That goes for all of you. Well, y'know, not at the same time. I'm not made of money ;-)

Hahahaha. Second round on me. Cheers! :)

Happy Cycler
Cheers, 747.

I hope to have the determination to see myself there however grim things appear now and, then, again later. I appreciate the words.
Okay...now...wait for fog machine.

Telepath
You're an inspiration, 747!

Nova Scotia Robot
Thanks, fellas.

Sobering thoughts that puts things in perspective for me and also gives me some relief:

My brother was recently declared NCR (not criminally responsible) in court and is to be permanently hospitalized in a highly secured mental institution.

For nearly the last 2 decades he has had the overgeneralized right to refuse any assistance or medical help for his illness. He has an extreme case of paranoid schizophrenia, enough so that the head psychiatric doctor in Canada's capital city general hospital, who had been there for decades, said that he has the worst case of mental illness he's ever seen. Even so, because he had not been caught in the act of serious criminal activity he has kept his right to tell anyone who would offer him help to "piss off".

He has had no effective ability to take care of himself and has multiple times lived in the streets, eating out of garbage cans, sleeping in parking lots and so forth. That is not a pleasant way to live, as you can imagine. It also puts an incredible amount of stress on his family. When not on the streets, he spent his disability payments on alcohol and drugs as a method of self-medicating. These habits continued to destroy his mind yet further. He'd been in and out of jail for more or less minor things. He had also been in and out of hospitals as a temporary forced visit. He would fake his recovery, leave and go back to his rough habits.

My family had reached out to many different places, trying to find help. For example, a way for someone to help him manage his money so he wouldn't blow his paycheck in a day or two on vices that prevented what medication he was taking to take effect. That's if it was during a time he was agreeing to take meds and wasn't having delusions about the " government's hidden agenda and experiments" that was behind the medications he was prescribed. We reached out in many ways, but due to his delusions he didn't trust the much needed help.

Why would he accept such help when he 100% believes a crazy delusion? That it's actually a couple years in the future and everyone is pretending it's not because he had been shot and in a coma for a few years while people ran experiments on him. No one will admit the "truth" to him, there are cameras everywhere and people posted to monitor him and he doesn't know why, so he trusts no one.

You might as well ask a man in a coma to give consent to wake him up and then say: "well, we tried."

This past spring, my brother's delusions had gotten severe enough that he was walking around his apartment complex with an ax, threatening to kill everyone he saw. The police arrived and he barricaded himself in his apartment. Shortly thereafter, mental health services showed up and convinced the police not to use lethal force. After 9 hours of negotiations, he came out and was taken to a hospital/jail.

No one got hurt. My brother has now lost his right to refuse help and will be well taken care of. In time and with luck, I may get to speak with the brother I once knew. The brother who is not constantly paranoid, angry, suspicious and under intense stress. The brother I had as a kid who was nothing but kind, funny and generous.

Last I heard, he's convinced that he was created by a Russian experiment and that our parents are actually his adoptive parents. He met with Putin and Obama who gave him a Russian passport to fulfill his purpose. He was supposed to receive further instructions from his adoptive parents, but of course, my folks are real and have no instructions because all of this in his head. So he's pissed that he not only can't fulfill his purpose, but now has enemies in his family that are hiding important information from him.

Silver lining: Things can get rough in my own mind at times. I can always remember that I'm far from how bad it really can get and that pulls some weight of my mind, allowing for a quicker recovery.

So, yup. I felt like organizing my thoughts and getting that off my chest. If you read that wall of text, congratulations. Now go get some fresh air. Maybe find a tree somewhere in a forest that looks thirsty and have a whiz of a time. :)

Previous

Return to The Playground