Recommend films/documentaries, etc.

Random chat: movies, books, games, technology, etcetera.

Moderators: Mexicola, 2020k, Fredd-E, Aesthetics

Sherbet Head
phpBB [media]

Happy Cycler
A "not recommended": Hereditary.

I can't possibly say "overrated in the worst possible way" without thinking about it for a while regarding any other film in recent memory than this. The performances are fine. The setup works. The film itself ends in such a comedic way that it's almost disturbing they put you through what's an otherwise great dramatic performance among the cast just to go "HEY, THIS IS THE EXORCIST OF IT'S TIME AND YOU HAVE TO DEAL WITH IT!" I'm not of the faint of heart though there's one particular moment on par with that one scene from Trainspotting as far as gruesome goes. The rest sets up a film that could have been great yet falls apart. Anyone who might disagree, do persuade.
Okay...now...wait for fog machine.

Nova Scotia Robot
Incredible film!

phpBB [media]

One of the best I've seen. Every shot is gorgeous or gritty in a way that speaks volumes more than the actors in the film. That said, there is not much talking in this at all. The main character does not say a single word. He is also given no factual backstory, which ends up building him up as a man of myths and legends. It works brilliantly. The movie kept me engaged with it's sounds, visuals and the intensity of the whole experience.

Film exposure was used brilliantly in this. It was done using proper film exposure technique by hand. The results are intentionally imperfect, so you can notice in most scenes that there is a halo like lighting around especially the character's faces. This is a huge plus actually. It acts as a visual reminder of their "souls" which adds weight to the intensity of their dire situations. It forces you to value the life that is theirs because although they are gritty and murderous men, this exposure lighting surrounding them is beautiful.

It has several chapters. Each of the chapters feeling drenched in purpose and necessity to the film as a whole, ultimately leading to redemption.

Not 1 scene missing. Not 1 scene too many.

Go watch it!

Sherbet Head
Been checking out some Robert Bresson films, "A Man Escaped" and "Pickpocket" so far. Both excellent, superbly crafted works.

Dayvan Cowboy
Jonse wrote:A "not recommended": Hereditary.

I can't possibly say "overrated in the worst possible way" without thinking about it for a while regarding any other film in recent memory than this. The performances are fine. The setup works. The film itself ends in such a comedic way that it's almost disturbing they put you through what's an otherwise great dramatic performance among the cast just to go "HEY, THIS IS THE EXORCIST OF IT'S TIME AND YOU HAVE TO DEAL WITH IT!" I'm not of the faint of heart though there's one particular moment on par with that one scene from Trainspotting as far as gruesome goes. The rest sets up a film that could have been great yet falls apart. Anyone who might disagree, do persuade.

I will dissagre on some points, but does it matter if you really dislike this movie ?

There was some very disturbing moments ant not in the violente way. It reminded me of Exorcist. When people see some very weird symbols in their every day life and it turns out it was foreshadow of their own death. This thing is really scary to me.

I hate to say it, because I really wanted to enjoy it, but I'm kind of on the same page as Jonse with this one. I was disappointed. It could have been so much better, but it promised much and underdelivered.

I'm usually a 'less is more' bloke, especially when it comes to horror. I like uncanny much more than jumpscares, but this was neither fish nor foul. The build up was slow and promising, yet the final scenes felt rushed and poorly thought out. I need to see it again, but the comparisons to The Exorcist did it no favours either. Even if you've just made the greatest horror in the last 25 years, never, ever compare yourself to The Exorcist - golden rule.

Slow down...

Sherbet Head
phpBB [media]

Can't recommend this because it isn't out yet, but this is currently my most anticipated movie. From the director that brought you Beyond the Black Rainbow.

Nova Scotia Robot
Beyond the Black Rainbow was an incredible movie! Love it. Love the music.

Sherbet Head
Josh wrote:
phpBB [media]

Can't recommend this because it isn't out yet, but this is currently my most anticipated movie. From the director that brought you Beyond the Black Rainbow.

Saw this as soon as it came out on on demand. If you loved the visual style of BtBR, you'll love this. If you love Nic Cage going full-on NIC CAGE, then you'll love this even more. The score by the late Jóhann Jóhannsson is equally sinister and beautiful. I found myself wanting more, since at 120 minutes, it felt like there might be a lot left on the cutting room floor. I'm hoping for a longer version in the future.

Dayvan Cowboy
Josh wrote:
phpBB [media]

Just saw it, Nicolas Cage was pretty funny in this movie. "I'm your god now" "You are a vicious snowflake"

Watched Arrival with the man last night and really liked it.

phpBB [media]
PLEASE LISTEN TO MY QUEER ELECTRONIC POP MUSIC: 2020k.Bandcamp |Twenty20k.com

Dayvan Cowboy
phpBB [media]

phpBB [media]

phpBB [media]

Sherbet Head
Just saw it, Nicolas Cage was pretty funny in this movie. "I'm your god now" "You are a vicious snowflake"

Spoiler: show
Someone on reddit said that they saw Mandy at an Alamo Drafthouse and they served Cheddar Gobblin!

Sherbet Head
Watching The Wire atm and it's easily the best tv show I've ever seen. The acting and especially the writing are out of this world, damn.
"What you are looking for, is where you are looking from."

Dayvan Cowboy
Just saw E tu vivrai nel terrore! L'aldilà by Lucio Fulci, the gore and score was right on point. Thno somewhere in the middle of movie got numbed by all those zombie shooting. But this is a really good horror movie. And the ending is very good.

Happy Cycler
arvy wrote:...does it matter if you really dislike this movie ?

Not at all

Dayvan Cowboy
lol

Happy Cycler
Well, I mean, I just don't have much to say.

No, it doesn't. That's why it's not other people's opinion by default lol.

If anyone enjoys it, that's fine. I don't routinely come along and try to be pessimistic by inverting a recommended [thing] thread. In this particular case it was shortly after watching it and I really didn't care for it at all so I posted that at that time for the good number of people here I know well enough that we share similar taste in film among other things. Without getting into any serious sort of argument, I would want to hear from someone who doesn't feel there are huge problems with the film even if they thought it was good on a whole.

Dayvan Cowboy
Jonse wrote:Well, I mean, I just don't have much to say.

No, it doesn't. That's why it's not other people's opinion by default lol.

If anyone enjoys it, that's fine. I don't routinely come along and try to be pessimistic by inverting a recommended [thing] thread. In this particular case it was shortly after watching it and I really didn't care for it at all so I posted that at that time for the good number of people here I know well enough that we share similar taste in film among other things. Without getting into any serious sort of argument, I would want to hear from someone who doesn't feel there are huge problems with the film even if they thought it was good on a whole.

Is normal.

Sherbet Head
phpBB [media]

Fans of Stanley Kubrick should check this out if they haven't already. Leon Vitali spent 30 years working for Kubrick doing everything from acting to coaching actors to editing to promotion and countless other mundane, tedious tasks. He was literally at his beck and call 24/7. The doc begs the question of whether Vitali was a masochist, sycophant, passionate workaholic or all of the above. Also provides a look into Kubrick's meticulous and hyper-obsessive creative process.

PreviousNext

Return to The Playground