Recommend films/documentaries, etc.

Random chat: movies, books, games, technology, etcetera.

Moderators: Mexicola, 2020k, Fredd-E, Aesthetics

Dayvan Cowboy
ross adey wrote:american movie would be in my top 3. must have seen in about 50 times.

!!! YEP!

Haha, that film has so many amazing characters. Mike Schank is a legend and the scene where Mark is bathing his grandad made me cry. I've recently sampled the "Whoa dude that's a wicked-ass toenail" bit and a couple of Mike's scenes in a silly 4-track tune. :D

Eagle Minded
I'm surprised no one has mentioned the documentary 'Alone In The Wilderness' about outdoorsman Dick Proenneke's withdrawal from society in 1968 by means of building himself a log cabin in Alaska and filming his exploits.

Ever since I got into BoC I can't watch it without hearing the intro to EYDIAB or Bocuma or Wildlife Analysis during the frequent scenes of stunning natural beauty in Alaska.

I would also be outrageously surprised if the Brothers Sandison hadn't seen this and taken inspiration from it as I gather it was a staple of North American television back in the day and is still often shown on PBS in America. The whole thing just seems to fit a lot of the early BoC aesthetic so well.

Sherbet Head
I love Alone in the Wilderness. I've watched that so many times. I also love pretty much every David Attenborough nature documentary. I could watch those every day. His voice is like xanax to me.

Some of these have probably been mentioned, but:
Daisies and Valerie and Her Week of Wonders. Two great Czech new wave movies.
The Piano
Picnic at Hanging Rock
The Gleaners and I (french documentary)
The Cement Garden
Dark Days (documentary about people living in abandoned subways in nyc)
Resurrect Dead-this is an awesome recentish documentary about the Toynbee tiles mystery.

I like really "atmospheric" movies, like Blade Runner and Picnic at Hanging Rock. I'd like to hear some suggestions for any other movies with a really dreamy atmosphere anyone can think of.

Sherbet Head
Jonestown: The Life and Death of the People's Temple is a really good documentary. It seems like people only know one thing about Jonestown, and for some reason it's usually talked about in a joking manner. I didn't really know much about the church until watching this myself, it's an incredibly sad story.
All of old. Nothing else ever. Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

Friendly Stranger
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Racjd5A8IDg

A good documentary about hash production in Morocco if you're into that sort of thing.

Boqurant
Haven't seen this yet - really want to.

Deconstructing Dad

About Raymond Scott - someone who could claim to be the father of electronic music. This guy was a genius.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ogJlnNqSHt0
“The most exquisite paradox… as soon as you give it all up, you can have it all. As long as you want power, you can't have it. The minute you don't want power, you'll have more than you ever dreamed possible.”
― Ram Dass

Count Chroma: https://soundcloud.com/countchroma

Dayvan Cowboy
Watched Grizzly Man in my Audio for Video class yesterday..interesting doc. Dude lived with bears, was half crazy by all appearances...tragically ended up getting killed and eaten (along with his girlfriend) by bears in 2003. Probably old news cos the doc is from 2005, but still an interesting character study of a very strange individual.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grizzly_Man
The preparation for a dive is always a tense time.

Boqurant
Saw The Fountain last night - I'd say really good, reminiscent a little of Kubrick's 2001 (in philosophy mainly). I recommend.
“The most exquisite paradox… as soon as you give it all up, you can have it all. As long as you want power, you can't have it. The minute you don't want power, you'll have more than you ever dreamed possible.”
― Ram Dass

Posts Quantity
The Fountain, a classic in my life. Watch it if you like memorable soundtracks (Clint Mansell) too. Falls at least partially into the 'Soul-Destroying' genre, though redeems that somewhat in the end.

Darren Aronofsky is super, though. Pi and... Requiem for a Dream. Most recently, Black Swan. All great work.

Sherbet Head
I love the Fountain! It's my favorite aronofsky. All my movie buff fans HATE that movie for some reason, I thought it was gorgeous though. Beautiful effects (especially if you look up how they did a lot of them) and beautiful story.

I also think it has one of the best sex scenes in a movie ever.
All of old. Nothing else ever. Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

Telepath
The fountain = wolverine eating shrooms in space.

Sherbet Head
The Fountain is all sets and no CGI!

Telepath
Torn n Frayed wrote:The Fountain is all sets and no CGI!

Allot of chroma keying though.

Dayvan Cowboy
Oh man, my first time watching The Fountain, I was on some preeeety nice LSD. Stuck with me forever, such an amazing thing to take in 8)
The preparation for a dive is always a tense time.

Dayvan Cowboy
After years of my mates telling me to watch it, I finally got round to seeing Into The Wild last night.
Loved it.

Dayvan Cowboy
Watched "The Trotsky" (2009) for the second time last night. It was excellent.
Valotonin wrote:Celebrate collapse because it will be beautiful x

Boqurant
I think BOC fans would like this documentary. The style of this docu is amazing in itself, that is what I find I like the best about it. It's called Let's Get Lost about Chet Baker, the jazz musician. It was done in the 80's and is stylistically fantastic. Not sure where you can view it now or buy it.
― Ram Dass

Dayvan Cowboy
I've been on a bit of an Errol Morris documentary binge over the last few days after watching one of his more recent docs, Tabloid (2011).

I highly recommend any of these. All really fascinating documentaries.

Gates of Heaven (the reason why Werner Herzog ate his own shoe).
Vernon, Florida
The Thin Blue Line
The Fog of War
Tabloid

Dayvan Cowboy
This is a short film I found on YouTube. I don't really understand what is going on - can't ascertain more than that it was shot on film and seems quite dark - but I really like it.

Suggestion Box
Valotonin wrote:Celebrate collapse because it will be beautiful x

Sherbet Head
I really enjoyed the Man on Wire documentary from the 1974 walk back and forth between the Twin Towers. In addition to the amazing feat and all the work, planning and extensive and illegal scout work that went into it, the wire walker, Phillippe Petit is very genuine, charming, funny, and just cool. His crew is entertaining as well.

Since he had his sights set on the walk before the towers were built, it also shows a lot of the construction, which was kind of sad in a way- knowing how they would one day fall...

Anyway- found it very enjoyable.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O3gWz8pLqY0

PreviousNext

Return to The Playground