Recommend films/documentaries, etc.

Random chat: movies, books, games, technology, etcetera.

Moderators: Mexicola, 2020k, Fredd-E, Aesthetics

Happy Cycler
The doco Leviathan was so strange, experimental and psychedelic.

Anyone interested in a harsh expose of fishing boats, give that a go. It will churn your stomach in more ways than one.

Sherbet Head
Man on Wire was great.

I just rewatched Beautiful Losers the other day, documemtary featuring a bunch of my favorite artists.
All of old. Nothing else ever. Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

Posts Quantity
I've been waiting for this for about a year now:

http://www.iknowthatvoice.com/

Also recently found out that the producers of Alone in the Wilderness are practically neighbors of mine, and that they have a lot more footage from Dick which they plan on releasing soon. They did switch to video at some point, so it won't have all the charm of the original film work. I'll still watch whatever they dig up.

Dayvan Cowboy
Stumbled across the short animation The Backwater Gospel the other week. Amazing story, character design, animation and music.
Nine and a half minutes well spent.

Happy Cycler
WeHadNormality wrote:Two Years At Sea by Ben Rivers went straight into my top 10 films of all time. Saw it first a couple of months ago and haven't been able to get it out of my head since.

If any fans of Werner Herzog's films are reading I highly recommend this film. Rivers' blurring of the boundaries between fiction and documentary is really Herzog(ian).

Rivers' just follows Jake (the bearded man in my avatar pic) around his remote ramshackle house in Aberdeenshire, Scotland, filming his day to day life. No dialogue, no narrative, just sublimely shot 16mm film and sound recorded on location.

Here's part of the write up on the back of the dvd slipcase:

"Jake has a tremendous sense of purpose, surviving frugally, poised somewhere between a bygone age and a post-apocalyptic future. Rivers' witty and gracefully constructed film, hand-processed in his kitchen, creates an intimate connection with an individual who would otherwise be a complete outsider to us"

Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HeJbcBAGF5Y

Watched this last night, incredible. Good recommendation!
Sagan: In order to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe.

Basinski: I wanted Cascade to become this crystalline organism like a star or a liquid crystal spaceship, a jellyfish traveling through the galaxy…

Dayvan Cowboy
fujee wrote:
WeHadNormality wrote:Two Years At Sea by Ben Rivers went straight into my top 10 films of all time. Saw it first a couple of months ago and haven't been able to get it out of my head since.

If any fans of Werner Herzog's films are reading I highly recommend this film. Rivers' blurring of the boundaries between fiction and documentary is really Herzog(ian).

Rivers' just follows Jake (the bearded man in my avatar pic) around his remote ramshackle house in Aberdeenshire, Scotland, filming his day to day life. No dialogue, no narrative, just sublimely shot 16mm film and sound recorded on location.

Here's part of the write up on the back of the dvd slipcase:

"Jake has a tremendous sense of purpose, surviving frugally, poised somewhere between a bygone age and a post-apocalyptic future. Rivers' witty and gracefully constructed film, hand-processed in his kitchen, creates an intimate connection with an individual who would otherwise be a complete outsider to us"

Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HeJbcBAGF5Y

Watched this last night, incredible. Good recommendation!

Excellent, glad you enjoyed it. I watched it again the other day. Just beautiful.

Dayvan Cowboy
^ This reminds me of 'Sleep Furiously'. I noticed it's mentioned briefly here -

http://www.twoism.org/forum/viewtopic.p ... +furiously

But I'd thoroughly recommend it, described in the top review on IMDB as 'the slowest film you will ever see'.

A documentary where everything and not very much happens in a Welsh village to an Aphex Twin soundtrack. Sad and touching and lovely.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oz341D_URNA

Happy Cycler
watched GoodFellas a second time.

majestic, beautiful, intense, gloriously good.

Dayvan Cowboy
futureling wrote:I think BOC fans would like this documentary. The style of this docu is amazing in itself, that is what I find I like the best about it. It's called Let's Get Lost about Chet Baker, the jazz musician. It was done in the 80's and is stylistically fantastic. Not sure where you can view it now or buy it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=emKvxsvzux0
Valotonin wrote:Celebrate collapse because it will be beautiful x

Dayvan Cowboy
Just watched The Act Of Killing

Can't really put how I feel into words. Mind = blown. :shock:

'Not Dead Yet' - a documentary about Jason Becker.

Doubt many will know his work on this board, but back in the late 80's / early 90's Jason Becker was THE young up and coming guitarist in a time when guitar players were gods. Supremely gifted (check out the home videos of him playing live at his school - blowing minds at a school largely populated by young black men into rap and hip hop, including his lifelong friend Sir Mix-a-lot no less) and you'll see why he should have been a house hold name by now - and almost was...

...he'd just been signed up as the new guitar player for David Lee Roth, following the likes of Eddie Van Halen and Steve Vai. The world was his for the taking. Except at exactly the same time, he was diagnosed with Motor Neurone Disease (aka Lou Gehrigs disease) ie. the same condition that Stephen Hawking suffers from, and was told he had 3-5 years to live.

20 odd years later, not only is he still alive, he's still writing and recording music despite being unable to walk, talk, being almost entirely paralyzed. He's also retained his incredibly gentle and generous nature and wicked sense of humour.

A true inspiration.

Slow down...

Happy Cycler
Yeah Jason is awesome, absolute determination. Big respect for the guy.
Sagan: In order to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe.

Basinski: I wanted Cascade to become this crystalline organism like a star or a liquid crystal spaceship, a jellyfish traveling through the galaxy…

Telepath
I recommend this website : http://www.viooz.co

I have noooo idea how these guys pulled this off but everything just WORKS and they have ALLOT!

Dayvan Cowboy
Brain Dead. 1990. Bill Pullman, and Bill Paxton..Altered States kind of vibe.
The preparation for a dive is always a tense time.

Sherbet Head
two fun documentaries from the 70s. I can't link because I'm on the iPhone are BBC Alchemists of sound. and PBS ancient astronaughts which had tons of boc types of grainy images and sounds. I also love the In Search Of series with Leonard Nimoy narrating. fantastic 70s stuff.

Eagle Minded
BLADE RUNNER. i have always been very drawn to the atmosphere of the film. despite it being scifi, i like that it is really more about the most basic questions: of course the central question is what is it to be human (or possess a soul), but i am just a interested the others: who are we, where do we come from, and how much time do we have?

a good doc reflective on some of the TH discussion is EARTHLINGS. i worked on it but don't let that stop you (i just provided a lot of the undercover footage). check it out - if you do you, will see this world differently afterward.
Four legs good, two legs bad
- George Orwell

Sherbet Head
Blade runner is one of my favorite movies ever. I just love the atmosphere so much.

Earthlings is an incredibly disturbing but important film, it definitely changed me forever.
All of old. Nothing else ever. Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

Dayvan Cowboy
Excellent doc on BBC iplayer about "Outsider" art briefly features one of my favorite artists: Paul Loffoley.

Available to watch until Tue, 10 Dec 2013

Dayvan Cowboy
Beavercanoe wrote:Pi

got a secondhand vhs copy of this as a birthday present to myself. it really is a fantastic film, one of my all-time favorites.

WeHadNormality wrote:After years of my mates telling me to watch it, I finally got round to seeing Into The Wild last night.
Loved it.

i haven't seen the film, but i recently read the book and it was excellent. highly recommended.

rainier wrote:Picnic at Hanging Rock

i don't remember whether it was this post or a different one, but i heard about this film from twoism. i keep meaning to watch it, looks like it could be right up my alley.

rainier wrote:Dark Days (documentary about people living in abandoned subways in nyc)

this also looks like it could be interesting.

rainier wrote:Resurrect Dead-this is an awesome recentish documentary about the Toynbee tiles mystery.

now this looks absolutely fascinating. i just learned about the toynbee tiles today, and i'm fascinated. i'll have to track down a copy of this film somehow...
Valotonin wrote:Celebrate collapse because it will be beautiful x

Dayvan Cowboy
Haven't seen this mentioned yet -

Anvil!The Story of Anvil

Everyone should watch it. It's about a metal band, but it's not really about music. Although the final scenes had me in tears, it's one of those films you'll genuinely feel good after watching.

PreviousNext

Return to The Playground