Recommend films/documentaries, etc.

Random chat: movies, books, games, technology, etcetera.

Moderators: Mexicola, 2020k, Fredd-E, Aesthetics

New Seed
Anything by Brian Cox. At the moment i am really enjoying his series "wonders of the solar system"; Good documentaries for anyone interested in science.

Eagle Minded
That movie 'Hannah' was great.
Out and about.

Sherbet Head
The Telepathic Kid wrote:There Will Be Blood left me cold, it was very good, but I didn't feel anything once it was finished.

I also need to see it again.

neither did I. I opted for that over No Country for Old Men at the theater.. mistake. NCFOM is a chilling masterpiece that left me chilled not cold. Seriously frightening. I had a friend, an old retired police officer who liked to work the periphery of small towns. He was known for being able to find a snake in a wood pile. He had a six sense type of gift that really allowed him uncanny busts. He encountered many strange things in those border towns in the south west US. Tommy Lee Jones character completely reminded me of my friend.

Dayvan Cowboy
Take Shelter. A random pick, I'd heard nothing about it and didn't know what to expect at all. All those under the radar indie films with huge ambitions and multiple, open ended meanings. I love them. A real gem of a film.

Boqurant
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0067197/

Insects taking over the world docu-style with great music and amazing photography

Dayvan Cowboy
The Video Diary of Ricardo Lopez - disturbing but also fascinating look into the mind of Ricardo Lopez, who stalked and attempted to kill Bjork (via mail bomb) in 1996 before killing himself and leaving behind over 20 hours of video footage (almost early vlogs if you will) explaining his motivations behind this.
Valotonin wrote:Celebrate collapse because it will be beautiful x

Eagle Minded

"One Way Boogie Woogie" + 27 Years Later by James Benning.
"The patience of a true enthusiast is unlimited." - Albert Camus

Happy Cycler
Tangerine -

Hilarious, heartwarming, sincere and very sympathetic even though I have know idea of the struggles which a transvestite prostitute in LA goes through.

Happy Cycler
Last night I saw a film called 'Come and See'. Very heavy going, but incredible nonetheless. It's on YouTube, if you fancy something very sobering.

phpBB [media]
Sagan: In order to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe.

Basinski: I wanted Cascade to become this crystalline organism like a star or a liquid crystal spaceship, a jellyfish traveling through the galaxy…

Dayvan Cowboy
I borrowed 'Come and See' a while ago off a work colleague but haven't been in the right mood to watch it yet. Not a Sunday night feel-good film.
I did however watch a lovely little film, in which not a huge amount happens, last weekend called 'Hinterland'.

phpBB [media]

Posts Quantity
Don't want to ruin it by going into too much detail, but Sans Soleil is an absolute must-see for every BoC fan. In its themes and overall mood, it might as well be the MHTRTC of the film world. Not to mention one of the greatest films of all time in its own right.
mikeyholmes.bandcamp.com

Sherbet Head
The Smash Brothers documentary of course~ after seeing that I can't stop watching Melee tournaments, the narrative of a Top 8 is always really cool to see unfold.

Happy Cycler
I watched The Science of Sleep the other night,

I think you guys would enjoy it.

Surreal, fun, whimsical, and is directed by Michel Gondry. If you like Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind or any of his music videos, then give it a go.

Sherbet Head
I can vouch for that! Great stuff, indeedly if you liked ESotSM too.

New Seed
adecentman wrote:Don't want to ruin it by going into too much detail, but Sans Soleil is an absolute must-see for every BoC fan. In its themes and overall mood, it might as well be the MHTRTC of the film world. Not to mention one of the greatest films of all time in its own right.

+1
I think all Chris Marker films are worth anyone's attention.

Dayvan Cowboy
Del

Dayvan Cowboy
Josh wrote:Just finished "The Institute", a doc from 2013. It's about an elaborate alternate reality game staged by an artist collective in San Francisco. It's pretty amazing how much work went into it and the profound effects it had on the people who became "players". Most were never sure where the game ended and where reality began. Recommended.

Yeah, just watched this, my first thought being that it's perfect for BOC fans.

Sherbet Head
Africa with David Attenborough. I've never seen such glorious filming. Seriously so beautiful I was stunned.

Eagle Minded

Happy Cycler
jcnporter wrote:
Josh wrote:Just finished "The Institute", a doc from 2013. It's about an elaborate alternate reality game staged by an artist collective in San Francisco. It's pretty amazing how much work went into it and the profound effects it had on the people who became "players". Most were never sure where the game ended and where reality began. Recommended.

Yeah, just watched this, my first thought being that it's perfect for BOC fans.

My fiancé and her friends are in that documentary. They took part in that game. Pretty interesting stuff.

PreviousNext

Return to The Playground