What are you reading?

Random chat: movies, books, games, technology, etcetera.

Moderators: Mexicola, 2020k, Fredd-E, Aesthetics

Lord of the Flies.
PLEASE LISTEN TO MY QUEER ELECTRONIC POP MUSIC: 2020k.Bandcamp |Twenty20k.com

Dayvan Cowboy
2020k wrote:Lord of the Flies.

Excellent book, haven't read it since high school, but I still remember it vividly.

I just started on Debt: The First 5,000 Years by David Graeber.

Dayvan Cowboy
Mexicola wrote:Looking forward to reading this, mainly to see how somebody writes over 400 pages about drone and doesn't mention Stars of the Lid once.

Now that's just a travesty.

Happy Cycler
Mexicola wrote:Image

Looking forward to reading this, mainly to see how somebody writes over 400 pages about drone and doesn't mention Stars of the Lid once.

Definitely on my to-read list.

Happy Cycler
Mexicola wrote:Image

Looking forward to reading this, mainly to see how somebody writes over 400 pages about drone and doesn't mention Stars of the Lid once.

...and my copy is arriving today :D

New Seed
I start reading Ulysses by Irish writer James Joyce. I tried to read this modernist novel several times already, but the maximum reached the third chapter. This time I want to read to the end, no matter how long it takes me.

Boqurant
"Anyone who says vaccines are safe and effective is Lying"
Vernon Coleman.

Not very light reading perhaps but wanted to get some balance of opinion and my own efforts to try and stay informed about this contaversial subject.

Eagle Minded
Reading "Norwegian Wood" by Haruki Murakami right now. It's a surprisingly compelling and emotionally complex romance novel, not something you usually get out of those. Great book!
you're in a psycho war, that's what your permit's for

Dayvan Cowboy
Just finished "On Anarchism" by Noam Chomsky. A little odd in that it purports to be an introductory text for the "anarcho-curious," and the first two chapters are answers really basic questions before the third suddenly dives headfirst into Spanish Civil War scholarship.

Now I'm on to "No Logo" by Naomi Klein, a classic that I'm past-due on reading. Also picked up Nell Irvin Painter's "The History of White People" and a book of essays on the philosophy of 1984, arguably my favorite book.

funnnnpng wrote:Reading "Norwegian Wood" by Haruki Murakami right now. It's a surprisingly compelling and emotionally complex romance novel, not something you usually get out of those. Great book!

Haruki Murakami is fantastic! "Hardboiled Wonderland and the End of the World" has got to be among my top 5 favorite novels.

Dayvan Cowboy
A deodorant bottle because I'm on the toilet and forgot my telephone.

Wait, what?
When I was a little kid my mother told me not to stare in the sun

Happy Cycler
portiss wrote:A deodorant bottle because I'm on the toilet and forgot my telephone.

Wait, what?

I can recommend the shampoo bottle. Exciting list of ingredients.

Eagle Minded
Yes, the shampoo bottle.
I remember when I was a kid I was fascinated by it because everything was written in swedish, danish and norwegian at the same time!

Dayvan Cowboy
Wretched of the Earth by Frantz Fanon, along with google's Site Reliability Engineering

Happy Cycler
Just finished Stuart Maconie's The Nanny State Made Me and agreed with pretty much every word.

Dayvan Cowboy
A_Northern_Soul wrote:Just finished Stuart Maconie's The Nanny State Made Me and agreed with pretty much every word.

Gotta love the Radcliffe & Maconie show, they had some great guests in their Original run. Good times

Just finished reading outside looking in by T C Boyle which is about the LSD experiments of Dr. Timothy Leary and his addled participants, it’s very well written and focuses on the beginning leading up to the 60s psychedelic revolution. It’s fictional not biographical but is quite engaging :D

Happy Cycler
Currently half way through Solaris.

Sherbet Head
Cult of the Dead Cow: How the Original Hacking Supergroup Might Just Save the World -- Joseph Menn

Eagle Minded
I haven't been able to read lately, I've tried numerous times but my mind keeps getting distracted by random thoughts.

Dayvan Cowboy
Just finished Brave New World - Aldous Huxley.
“if you are neutral in situations of injustice, you have chosen the side of the oppressor.” - Desmond Tutu

"[Man] is by nature a political animal. And he who by nature and not by mere accident is without a state, is either above humanity, or below it... he may be compared to a bird which flies alone." - Aristotle, Politics

Dayvan Cowboy
saturdayindex wrote:Just finished Brave New World - Aldous Huxley.

Excellent book, to state the obvious.

I'm reading a couple of books at once now - Manufacturing Consent by Herman & Chomsky, and The Trillion Dollar Conspiracy by Jim Marrs for a little bit of tinfoil hat spiciness. Also just picked up The Utopia of Rules by David Graeber, and on the fiction front, Neuromancer by Gibson (a classic I'm way overdue on) and White Jazz by James Ellroy.

PreviousNext

Return to The Playground