What are you reading?

Random chat: movies, books, games, technology, etcetera.

Moderators: Mexicola, 2020k, Fredd-E, Aesthetics

The Familiar Vol. 1 by Mark Z Danielewski

House of Leaves changed my perception on how I view life, so it's natural to continue to follow Danielewski's work. While House of Leaves was difficult to retain & follow if I wasn't giving it my undivided attention, The Familiar's difficulty level is a lot more intense. It focuses on one single day and May and the story jumps in right away...different dialects to follow, no backstory, just jumping right into these characters and what's going on in their day.

Luckily, I have challenges to stick through this. But, there's 27 volumes of this being published...I hope it becomes more coherent as the series rages on.

Anyone else a Danielewski fan?
PLEASE LISTEN TO MY QUEER ELECTRONIC POP MUSIC: 2020k.Bandcamp |Twenty20k.com

Sherbet Head
2020k wrote:The Familiar's difficulty level is a lot more intense. It focuses on one single day and May and the story jumps in right away...different dialects to follow, no backstory, just jumping right into these characters and what's going on in their day.

That sounds a lot like the book I'm reading, except this one takes place in June instead of May.

Happy Cycler
Various short Ballard stories. Thanks to IanRedpoint I'm now appreciative of two artists that go by "J.G."
Okay...now...wait for fog machine.

Eagle Minded
Just finished Welcome To Nightvale
Out and about.

Happy Cycler
I got 'Sapiens' by Yuval Noah for Christmas, only around 100 pages in but it's brilliant, can completely see why it was a big hit. I always had an interest in early human history/pre-history but I clearly had a huge gap in knowledge as every page presents itself with a 'holy shit that's interesting' moment. Great stuff so far, recommend.
Sagan: In order to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe.

Basinski: I wanted Cascade to become this crystalline organism like a star or a liquid crystal spaceship, a jellyfish traveling through the galaxy…

Dayvan Cowboy
Ray Mears' Outdoor Survival Handbook, any questions?

Happy Cycler
Nice! Ray Mears is awesome.
Sagan: In order to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe.

Basinski: I wanted Cascade to become this crystalline organism like a star or a liquid crystal spaceship, a jellyfish traveling through the galaxy…

fujee wrote:I got 'Sapiens' by Yuval Noah for Christmas, only around 100 pages in but it's brilliant, can completely see why it was a big hit. I always had an interest in early human history/pre-history but I clearly had a huge gap in knowledge as every page presents itself with a 'holy shit that's interesting' moment. Great stuff so far, recommend.

You know what, I got that last Christmas and still haven't got around to reading it yet. :oops:

The Mountain Shadow by Gregory David Roberts. Long awaited follow up to Shantaram. If it's half as good as the first one, it'll be amazing.

Slow down...

Happy Cycler
Fully recommend, you'd definitely like it bud. The other half loved Shantaram, interested in reading it myself, got a mountain of others I want to get through first though.

Eagle Minded
About to start James Rhodes- Instrumental, got the hankies ready, got a bit of dust in my eye..

Eagle Minded
2020k wrote:The Familiar Vol. 1 by Mark Z Danielewski

House of Leaves changed my perception on how I view life, so it's natural to continue to follow Danielewski's work. While House of Leaves was difficult to retain & follow if I wasn't giving it my undivided attention, The Familiar's difficulty level is a lot more intense. It focuses on one single day and May and the story jumps in right away...different dialects to follow, no backstory, just jumping right into these characters and what's going on in their day.

Luckily, I have challenges to stick through this. But, there's 27 volumes of this being published...I hope it becomes more coherent as the series rages on.

Anyone else a Danielewski fan?

House Of Leaves is one of my all times favourite books. I struggled with Only Revolutions though. It was a good idea, but the idea is much cooler than how it actually turned out. It was just too much of a ballache.

Happy Cycler
I really want to read House of Leaves but I am waiting to be in the right frame of mind for it..

Sherbet Head
House of Leaves is a very annoying book to read. It develops a story and then cuts the reader out of it into something entirely unrelated. It's about as disconnected as a book can be. Danielewsky's experimentation is mainly with the design of the page more than the story itself. It's difficult to read mostly because it's difficult to figure out which part of the book you're supposed to be reading. Go for it if you want, but don't expect any experimentation beyond backwards writing and a thousand sideways and upside down footnotes. The story is pretty normal, just horribly dismembered.

Sherbet Head
Yeah, I feel that. I didn't *dislike* House of Leaves, but I really think it couldn't hold it's own as a narrative or piece of writing in general without all the gimmicky formatting.

At the same time, it's not worth discrediting as maybe the gimmick makes it especially postmodern, or something of that nature. I dunno. It's a decent book overall, maybe a bit overrated.
"Life is a stupid, meaningless thing that has nothing to teach you." -Slavoj Zizek

Eagle Minded
See I loved how it did that. It really put me into the disjointed mindset of the various characters. I think the layout and structure of the book really enhances the experience.

Happy Cycler
Isn't the 'artist's joke' pretty quintessentially postmodernist anyway? I've read that the book is a thinly veiled critique of the academic world, maybe the tedious format is entirely intentional.

Eagle Minded
FortonServices wrote:See I loved how it did that. It really put me into the disjointed mindset of the various characters. I think the layout and structure of the book really enhances the experience.

Hear hear.
I remember the first time reading House of Leaves (and the second and third, but especially the first time) during the parts in which the text mimics the claustrophobia (and/or wide-openness of the room) I could feel it.

Currently reading David Byrne's How Music Works.
Here and there I wish it was more "How Music Works" theory / history and less David Byrne's experience forming and recording with the Talking Heads BUT with that being said his anecdotes inform the theory / social theories of music and it's overall excellent so far.

Gave up on Herbert's Dune because I'm kind of in a weird place in my life and am, for the first time, having issues keeping up with the fiction I've been trying to read.
Sticking to nonfiction for the time being.
"Fall in love with some activity, and do it! Nobody ever figures out what life is all about, and it doesn't matter. Explore the world. Nearly everything is really interesting if you go into it deeply enough." - Richard P. Feynman

Sherbet Head
b0qurant wrote:Currently reading David Byrne's How Music Works.
Here and there I wish it was more "How Music Works" theory / history and less David Byrne's experience forming and recording with the Talking Heads BUT with that being said his anecdotes inform the theory / social theories of music and it's overall excellent so far.

Well David Byrne isn't a music historian or theorist as far as I know, so that makes sense to me. If you just want music theory, then just read one of the many textbooks on it. The two volumes of Musimathics are often recommended for this purpose, and I think it even goes into generative algorithmic music.

Dayvan Cowboy
Currently awaiting 'England's Hidden Reverse' by David Keenan, which is now a couple of months later than scheduled.

Drillkicker, I take it you've read it? Worth waiting for?

Dayvan Cowboy
Currently reading 'How to Stop Worrying and Start Living' by Dale Carnegie, which, despite being written 60-odd years ago, is absolutely superb, and this is coming from someone who generally despises self-help books.

PreviousNext

Return to The Playground