What are you reading?

Random chat: movies, books, games, technology, etcetera.

Moderators: Mexicola, 2020k, Fredd-E, Aesthetics

Happy Cycler
Agreed. Less Than Nothing: Hegel and the Shadow of Dialectical Materialism is unbelievable. It takes A LOT of effort to get through though, not something to read lightly.
Sagan: In order to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe.

Basinski: I wanted Cascade to become this crystalline organism like a star or a liquid crystal spaceship, a jellyfish traveling through the galaxy…

Sherbet Head
I've got Less Than Nothing waiting on my shelf for when I kill a couple of the books I'm reading now. I learned halfway through Sublime Object that with Zizek, taking notes is an absolute necessity, so I'll be investing in a new notebook before I crack that one open.
"Life is a stupid, meaningless thing that has nothing to teach you." -Slavoj Zizek

Happy Cycler
Yeah it's definitely good practice to collect notes with any Philosophical text. I do the same :)
Sagan: In order to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe.

Basinski: I wanted Cascade to become this crystalline organism like a star or a liquid crystal spaceship, a jellyfish traveling through the galaxy…

Dayvan Cowboy
The Illustrated Man by Ray Bradbury. Interesting collection of short stories all based around a weird concept.

Prompted by the book request in the BOC thread, I thought it was high time we bumped this old thread too.

As usual, I've a bunch of stuff on the go at the same time. In no particular order:

Slow down...

Dayvan Cowboy
Funny that you are reading Mindfulness Mexi.

I am reading 'Wherever you go, There you are: Mindfulness Meditation for Everyday Life' by Jon Kabat-Zinn. He has done a load of work in the US trying to bring meditation into a clinical and scientific setting.

I am not sure what to think of it so far, nor whether I will have the motivation to take it on.

Boqurant
Seems to be about biographies for me, lately. I recently finished the Viv Albertine one and am about to start a 70's bio about Viv Nicholson. With a dash of Discovering Scarfolk alongside.

Posts Quantity
Being Good - A short introduction to ethics
By Simon Blackburn.

I have been looking to get more into philisophical and self-development books. Turns out a girl I'm currently "seeing" just had this laying around. I asked if I could borrow it, and I could, its pretty damn interesting.

Dayvan Cowboy
Just finished 'Under the Skin' by Michel Faber. Bought it because I enjoyed the film, although as I'd been led to expect, the novel and film are very loosely related. Very clever and very enjoyable, although deeply disturbing in places. Like the film, though, it reminded me why I love decent sci-fi - the license to explore the world in ways not otherwise available.

Harper Lee to publish 'sequel' to To Kill A Mockingbird?

Shows my ignorance, I didn't know she was still alive!

http://m.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-31118355

Slow down...

Eagle Minded
Mexicola wrote:[*]Discovering Scarfolk - by Richard Littler[/list]

This looks great, it's going on The List.

Dayvan Cowboy
Finally starting on the Culture novels, from the beginning. Too many conversations we've had now about technology or politics where someone's said "It's like in the Culture novels..." and I say "I've never read them", and they just look shocked and say "YOU'VE never read the Culture novels?!" So now I'm going to take that endorsement :)

Eagle Minded
I'm currently reading The Stand by Stephen King. I grew out of his books when I was about 16 and haven't read one in years, but I was given this as a gift and figured I'd give it a go. It's got all the usual King clichés but it's still enjoyable.

Previous to that I read Dance Dance Dance by Haruki Murakami, which I fucking loved. It was weird as hell, and it was set in Japan, which sold it for me. Japanese culture is strange and fascinating. Although please bear in mind when I say that, that I am not a neckbeard.

I also recently finished This Is Your Brain On Music, by Daniel Levitin. He was a musician/producer, who became a neurologist. He looks at all the science behind music and the way our brain responds to it. Amazing stuff.

Agree 100% on The Stand. Takes me back to my youth! :-)

Slow down...

Telepath
I love cliché Stephen King. Handicapped paranormal-gifted children or his fictional Maine topography. He made up some of the best cliché's ever.

Eagle Minded
If there's a religious person in a Stephen King book, then guess what....THEY ARE THE BAD GUY! Because religion is, like, so hypocritical man.

I'm sure teenaged me found that very edgy and cool. Adult me, not so much. Still enjoying it though.

Posts Quantity
Always have several things on the go,or waiting to be read.

Ghosts of my Life - Mark Fisher
The Drought - J G Ballard (read most of his books but not this one)
The Thing - Alan Dean Foster ( Movie Adaption) Finally found an old copy on Amazon.

Music In Dreamland Bill Nelson&Be-Bop Deluxe - Paul Sutton Reeves

Museum of Mistakes, The Fart Party Collection - Julia Wertz
In A Glass Grotesqeuely -Richard Sala
Bumperhead - Gilbert Hernandez
And many Marvel And Independent Comics (Long time collector)

The Ladybird Book of The Hipster, including such gems as shown below. p.42 is so on the money it's almost painful....

Slow down...

Sherbet Head
I'm reading Ulysses and loving every word of it.

Mexicola wrote:The Ladybird Book of The Hipster, including such gems as shown below. p.42 is so on the money it's almost painful....

This post reads like a shitty clickbait from Facebook.

Ha ha! Yeah, you'll never BELIEVE what the photographer saw next..

Slow down...

PreviousNext

Return to The Playground