What are you reading?

Random chat: movies, books, games, technology, etcetera.

Moderators: Mexicola, 2020k, Fredd-E, Aesthetics

Sherbet Head
Orbited insanitarium wrote:About to start Seconds by Bryan Lee O'Malley. If it rings a bell it's because he is the same writer/illustrator lad behind Scott Pilgrim and the following Graphic Novels.

Back in 2014, I was living part-time with my mother in a house in York, she didn't own it, weren't ours. But in the room I was sleeping in, there was the full Pilgrim series on a shelf. I vividly remember flicking through them.

So saw this in the library today, justified punt I hope?

Good stuff! O'Malley's art-style is iconic, Scott Pilgrim is definitely one of the best graphic novels in the last 20+ years (he just draws damn good faces). I haven't given Seconds a moment of my time but after giving it a skim-through on the description online, I Am Interested In Reading.

Moment of weakness, Hunter x Hunter is updating again...... but I am so disappointed because Togashi keeps putting walls of texts over his panels!!!!! It's made it difficult to enjoy his talent of intricate and detailed art taken to the next level. You can barely enjoy the panels themselves anymore (a lot lately looked like they weren't even finished beyond sketches). I feel like I'm missing out on core parts of the story because I keep skimming past the never-ending paragraphs... ugh they never shut up now! THROW PUNCHES AT THE MONSTERS ALREADY DAMN IT!

Still looks cool though.

Dayvan Cowboy
steeldancer-x wrote:
Orbited insanitarium wrote:About to start Seconds by Bryan Lee O'Malley. If it rings a bell it's because he is the same writer/illustrator lad behind Scott Pilgrim and the following Graphic Novels.

Back in 2014, I was living part-time with my mother in a house in York, she didn't own it, weren't ours. But in the room I was sleeping in, there was the full Pilgrim series on a shelf. I vividly remember flicking through them.

So saw this in the library today, justified punt I hope?

Good stuff! O'Malley's art-style is iconic, Scott Pilgrim is definitely one of the best graphic novels in the last 20+ years (he just draws damn good faces). I haven't given Seconds a moment of my time but after giving it a skim-through on the description online, I Am Interested In Reading.

2hr 30 minutes after that post of mine, and I've finished. Recommend the hell out of it!! It's more rustic than Scott Pilgrim and way more surreal (which is a word I don't associate really with O'Malley)
Some fantastic panel spreads, quite an involving plot as well. It really just spirals psychologically downhill for the main lass, but it's a brill read. :D
Passed me by!

Moment of weakness, Hunter x Hunter is updating again...... but I am so disappointed because Togashi keeps putting walls of texts over his panels!!!!! It's made it difficult to enjoy his talent of intricate and detailed art taken to the next level. You can barely enjoy the panels themselves anymore (a lot lately looked like they weren't even finished beyond sketches). I feel like I'm missing out on core parts of the story because I keep skimming past the never-ending paragraphs... ugh they never shut up now! THROW PUNCHES AT THE MONSTERS ALREADY DAMN IT!

Still looks cool though.

I wonder have you seen his new cover illustration for HxH mag? Had a special Yu Yu Hakusho throwback for its anniversary. What I'd give to see a Gon/Urameshi crossover, but I think it's the first time in who knows how long that Togashi has put Yusuke and the gang in print. :D

Sherbet Head
Orbited insanitarium wrote:I wonder have you seen his new cover illustration for HxH mag? Had a special Yu Yu Hakusho throwback for its anniversary. What I'd give to see a Gon/Urameshi crossover, but I think it's the first time in who knows how long that Togashi has put Yusuke and the gang in print. :D

I did see this actually when HxH updated! It make-a the lady in me happy cuz me spots a Terminator. Even if he's defrosting, I'm glad to see him back up and at it. He's still got it!

Been revisiting an old-friend-of-a-manga. AKA this manga sucked me in its jaws and then spit me right back out from beginning to finish. Called Homunculus, written in volumes as opposed to chapters, and Definitely Written By A Japanese Guy. Synopsis goes as: There's a homeless guy living in his car in a park, guy comes up to him one day and offers him 700,000 yen to drill a hole in his head. He does it. Something batshit happens. So what happens next?

Some screencaps to reel ye in. One of those ones you should probably go in blind.
https://mangareader.to/read/homunculus-305/en/volume-1

Dayvan Cowboy
3 tankōbon volumes of Battle Angel Alita. And it's ace.

Sherbet Head
Bought Seraphim Wings the other day.... apparently it's unfinished. Guys who made Ghost in the Shell and Perfect Blue came together to make it.

Friendly Stranger
I started reading the Watchmen for the first time a few weeks back, getting pretty into it now. Also started House of Leaves a few months back but I need to start over and really digest it.
nothing is real

Sherbet Head
hyenaedon wrote:I started reading the Watchmen for the first time a few weeks back, getting pretty into it now. Also started House of Leaves a few months back but I need to start over and really digest it.

Good stuff. Dark Horse barely misses.

Dayvan Cowboy
Currently reading two books

James Bridle - New Dark Age: Technology and the End of the Future

and

Grégoire Chamayou - The Ungovernable Society: A Genealogy of Authoritarian Liberalism

Sherbet Head
The House That Trane Built: The Story of Impulse Records -- Ashley Kahn

Sherbet Head
Will probably start reading Fire Force here soon. I've been in a bit of a manga rut, just haven't found anything lately that's caught my eye. Vagabond, HxH, and Dandadan have all spoiled me...

Eagle Minded
Valis by Philip K. Dick. Genuinely mind expanding, for what might be read as complete nonsense.
you're in a psycho war, that's what your permit's for

Dayvan Cowboy
funnnnpng wrote:Valis by Philip K. Dick. Genuinely mind expanding, for what might be read as complete nonsense.

I was reading the very same a few pages back! It gives a lot to think about, are you planning on looking about the other instalments/sequels?

Eagle Minded
Orbited insanitarium wrote:I was reading the very same a few pages back! It gives a lot to think about, are you planning on looking about the other instalments/sequels?

I might, I'm really enjoying the first one so far. Especially the musings on masochism, and how it naturally imposes itself on modern humanity because we're all so helpless and conscious of inevitable death.

"Over the years it takes control of him. For example, he learns to defer gratification; this is a step in the dismal process of anhedonia. In learning to defer he gratification he experiences a sense of self-mastery; he has become stoic, disciplined; he does not give way to impulse. He has 'control'. Control over himself in terms of his impulses and control over the external situation. He is a controlled and controlling person. Pretty soon he has branched out and is controlling other people, as part of the situation. He becomes a manipulator. Of course, he is not conciousily aware of this; all he intends to do is lessen his own sense of impotence. But in his task of lessening this sense, he insidiously overpowers the freedom of others. Yet, he dervies no pleasure from this, no positive psychological gain; all his gains are essential negative.”

That whole bit really resonated with me.
you're in a psycho war, that's what your permit's for

Dayvan Cowboy
About halfway through Blood Meridian by Cormac McCarthy. Very interesting book. Brilliant combination of simplistic brutality and gorgeous prose.

Dayvan Cowboy
SamuraiDrifter wrote:About halfway through Blood Meridian by Cormac McCarthy. Very interesting book. Brilliant combination of simplistic brutality and gorgeous prose.

I think The Road is still probably my favourite book. When I first read it I probably wouldn't have said that - the appeal was the utter bleakness it evoked, it was enthralling in a strange way. After I became a father it gained a whole new dimension and was elevated to my favourite. A close second is the Southern Reach trilogy. Third could be Never Let Me Go, not sure. I'm a sucker for the uncanny and melancholy (sometimes bordering on despair) in the art I like.

Dayvan Cowboy
- Counselling for Toads: A Psychological Adventure by Robert De Board

It's a psychological self-help book come novel about Wind In The Willows character Toad and his counselling for spiraling depression.

Sherbet Head
Tried to read Mobile Suit Gundam..... just watch it instead

Dayvan Cowboy
Call of the Night by Kotoyama.
The library had the 1st collected Viz volume, but it's SO good, I'm continuing reading the series on https://mangareader.to/

https://mangareader.to/read/call-of-the ... /chapter-1

Previous

Return to The Playground