Anime

Random chat: movies, books, games, technology, etcetera.

Moderators: Mexicola, 2020k, Fredd-E, Aesthetics

Dayvan Cowboy
Going from Kiki's Delivery Service to Grave of the Fireflies is a stark contrast in tone.

(To be fair, Kiki had it's darkest moment when that mammoth sized Zeppelin crashed into the town's clocktower. In reality, if it wasn't lighthearted Ghibli fantasy, there would've been a dozen or so casualties from such a disaster. :| )

Sherbet Head
Orbited insanitarium wrote:
(To be fair, Kiki had it's darkest moment when that mammoth sized Zeppelin crashed into the town's clocktower. In reality, if it wasn't lighthearted Ghibli fantasy, there would've been a dozen or so casualties from such a disaster. :| )

NO ONE DIES!!!!!!! EVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dayvan Cowboy
steeldancer-x wrote:

NO ONE DIES!!!!!!! EVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You're tellin me.
They should kill off a character or protagonist in the directors cut, rest in peace Tombo.

Edit: Come awn Miyazaki, teach children the harsh lesson of mortality EARLY. :lol:

Dayvan Cowboy
By purest coincidence, has anyone watched a little ditty called Kaiba? https://9anime.gs/watch/kaiba.wr6

Madhouse and it's astounding. :shock:

Dayvan Cowboy

Sherbet Head
Been (re)watching Naruto......... :-I

Dayvan Cowboy
steeldancer-x wrote:Been (re)watching Naruto......... :-I

I often wondered when people on the interwebz said that Bleach, One Piece and Naruto are the 3 of Shonen, is it a long reposted and bastardized meme to say that? Because really and honestly, I've never paid much attention to any of em... (forgive me anime gods for I have sinned, I go against the One Piece grain. :lol: )

I'm initially quite skeptical of the most popular shonens so forgive me for saying the above, would'ya say that Naruto is worth it friend? Should I give it a shot? :|

Sherbet Head
I often wondered when people on the interwebz said that Bleach, One Piece and Naruto are the 3 of Shonen, is it a long reposted and bastardized meme to say that? Because really and honestly, I've never paid much attention to any of em... (forgive me anime gods for I have sinned, I go against the One Piece grain. :lol: )

I'm initially quite skeptical of the most popular shonens so forgive me for saying the above, would'ya say that Naruto is worth it friend? Should I give it a shot? :|

Worth it if you have a somewhat pre-establishing connection with it. My older brother loved Naruto to tears and he watched/read it all the way up to date when it was still coming out. I've tried quite a couple of times to watch it all the way through but some 'required' arcs are an absolute sludge to get through. It's a 'baby's-first' anime. Filler does not help its case at all.

All that being said, with the knowledge that it was made for a week-by-week TV basis, it does become a little more enjoyable (and you understand why people love it so much alongside Bleach and One Piece). It's veeeeeeery early 2000s TV-14. The world is interesting (maybe a little hard to understand) and some characters are absolutely iconic. (Tsunade and Temari supreme)

All-in-all the one thing people truly forget about Naruto is that it's a ground-up story. You see the good, the bad, and oh my god the absolute ugly.

I recommend watching the first movie; Naruto: Ninja Clash in the Land of Snow if you wanna try Naruto. THIS MOVIE IS FIRE OK! Perfect introduction to Naruto's world without needing to know the central story. I have watched it so many times and it's still balls off the walls + sasuke is on backbench the entire movie best bonus points ever

I think later-Naruto is actually some spicy fuckin shit! Naruto Shippuden is actually pretty damn good. But that's the thing, to get to all the 'good' you've got to work/get around the 'bad' (so many mini-arcs). If you ever do dare to take a crack at it, I recommend watching manga canon first and filling in the blanks with the mixed canon from there. So far that's what I've been doing and I've basically been watching Naruto, just some details missed. If you want to watch it all, filler and everything, someone give this man a medal cuz he's a fuckin' soldier.

With all that out of the way, yes, I'd say absolutely bastard of a meme. They are all like the Spongebobs of Japan, just incredibly serialized household names. But Bleach would be right up your alley. My Mom and Uncle watched all of Bleach and they both love it to death. I haven't quite given it my time but from what I've seen from here and there, maybe a little more mature than Naruto................ and then again maybe not lol! :lol:

Dayvan Cowboy
steeldancer-x wrote:Worth it if you have a somewhat pre-establishing connection with it. My older brother loved Naruto to tears and he watched/read it all the way up to date when it was still coming out. I've tried quite a couple of times to watch it all the way through but some 'required' arcs are an absolute sludge to get through. It's a 'baby's-first' anime. Filler does not help its case at all.

All that being said, with the knowledge that it was made for a week-by-week TV basis, it does become a little more enjoyable (and you understand why people love it so much alongside Bleach and One Piece). It's veeeeeeery early 2000s TV-14. The world is interesting (maybe a little hard to understand) and some characters are absolutely iconic. (Tsunade and Temari supreme)

All-in-all the one thing people truly forget about Naruto is that it's a ground-up story. You see the good, the bad, and oh my god the absolute ugly.

I recommend watching the first movie; Naruto: Ninja Clash in the Land of Snow if you wanna try Naruto. THIS MOVIE IS FIRE OK! Perfect introduction to Naruto's world without needing to know the central story. I have watched it so many times and it's still balls off the walls + sasuke is on backbench the entire movie best bonus points ever

I think later-Naruto is actually some spicy fuckin shit! Naruto Shippuden is actually pretty damn good. But that's the thing, to get to all the 'good' you've got to work/get around the 'bad' (so many mini-arcs). If you ever do dare to take a crack at it, I recommend watching manga canon first and filling in the blanks with the mixed canon from there. So far that's what I've been doing and I've basically been watching Naruto, just some details missed. If you want to watch it all, filler and everything, someone give this man a medal cuz he's a fuckin' soldier.

I've set a place tomorrow to start with that first movie. Don't worry, I shall return to give the goss. We'll see if Naruto is fer me! :D

Sherbet Head
steeldancer-x wrote:Worth it if you have a somewhat pre-establishing connection with it. My older brother loved Naruto to tears and he watched/read it all the way up to date when it was still coming out. I've tried quite a couple of times to watch it all the way through but some 'required' arcs are an absolute sludge to get through. It's a 'baby's-first' anime. Filler does not help its case at all.

I've set a place tomorrow to start with that first movie. Don't worry, I shall return to give the goss. We'll see if Naruto is fer me! :D

Naruto memes are somethin fuckin else oh lord :lol:
I hope you enjoy that moive. It was my first ever 'anime' so I love it a little too much for what it is lol. I hope you do too!

Dayvan Cowboy
phpBB [media]

I enjoyed it

Sherbet Head
'Perfect Blue' was a crown-jewel to behold.

Dayvan Cowboy
steeldancer-x wrote:'Perfect Blue' was a crown-jewel to behold.

That hits hard :(, I was in a CeX store last week (sort of like an exchange disc shop, they give you small cash, then sell it more expensively at new-ish price). In the store was Perfect Blue on the shelf, but £15 was the catch, I had the moolah for it but with no ID yet, I thought I might find it much cheaper.
It's only been a week, I'm not a tight-arse by any stretch, I do wish I had gone for it now.
https://uk.webuy.com/product-detail?id=5022366404945

Dayvan Cowboy
Got the complete Parasyte: The Maxim this morning for £2 gbp (a pound for each 3-disc set) and I'm so stoked. Hear hear, another Madhouse series to get stuck into and watch over Chrimbo. :)

Sherbet Head
Orbited insanitarium wrote:Got the complete Parasyte: The Maxim this morning for £2 gbp (a pound for each 3-disc set) and I'm so stoked. Hear hear, another Madhouse series to get stuck into and watch over Chrimbo. :)

Parasyte gud :mrgreen:

Sherbet Head
Eighty-Six. Very good.
phpBB [media]

Sherbet Head
Last airbender is pretty good, just got to book of fire
Book of water was meh but book of earth was damn great

Posts Quantity
Location: In your unconscious mind, but more precisely in France
Orbited insanitarium wrote:Image

The rabbit is so cute!

Boqurant
For those in the US, End of Evangelion is finally being shown in theatres. March 17 and March 20.

https://x.com/gkidsfilms/status/1760352 ... SplofSBwyw

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Eagle Minded
I have never watched anime or Japan anything in my life save for 1 year when i was dating this weeb girl back in the day I did not understand it but I tried and actually bought some random series of dvds from a comic book store it was about 5 girls who were acting insane I can't remember the title of the series to study it.

Flash forward today -- I watched recently all of the Godzilla movies (very impressed with King Caesar though he barely appears in one of them) and became suddenly interested in Japanese media and how bonkers it is so this week I decided to watch the entire series of Robotech cartoons the syndicated cobbled American series because I remember episodes would leak out into the woods where I was growing up on Saturday afternoons my older sister and I were fascinated by this programming as it was so alien but were so often disallowed to watch by our parents who made us do more productive things on those days.

Anyway the sensibility of Super Dimension Fortress Macross is very weird this absolutely incompetent Admiral of the giant ship, Bruno Global, is basically responsible for the deaths of countless perhaps millions of innocent victims of first by blasting a laser through Macross and then teleporting within a giant sphere the city into deep space where it froze immediately and then later transformed the ship into a robot crushing the rebuilt town inside the ship and then even later enacting a force field around the ship which accidentally exploded and obliterated a 25 mile radius centered upon Ontario Canada. Ostensibly this was achieved with no understanding at all of the vehicle and the systems he was commanding.

Previous

Return to The Playground