The Happy RANT THREAD!!!!!!!

Random chat: movies, books, games, technology, etcetera.

Moderators: Mexicola, 2020k, Fredd-E, Aesthetics

noby wrote:"Tapes hiss makes me happy"

THIS ^^^ post makes me happy :wink: (sorry - second SOTL fanboy post tonight. I realise this is twice my weekly allowance)

Slow down...

Happy Cycler
Mexicola wrote:

THIS ^^^ post makes me happy :wink: (sorry - second SOTL fanboy post tonight. I realise this is twice my weekly allowance)

What is SOTL?

Happy Cycler
polar sky wrote:
Mexicola wrote:

What is SOTL?

Stars of the Lid, I'm guessing. There's a lot of fans on this board. I have yet to check them out for some reason.

Sherbet Head
Mexicola wrote:

<3

(why do I always need to typo everything though...)

mechanismj wrote:
polar sky wrote:
Mexicola wrote:

What is SOTL?

Stars of the Lid, I'm guessing. There's a lot of fans on this board. I have yet to check them out for some reason.

Correct. 'Tape Hiss Makes Me Happy' is one of their earlier tracks. :wink:

EDIT: mechanismj, I'm almost envious of you if you've not heard them yet. I'd love to be in the position of discovering them again.

Slow down...

Happy Cycler
Mexicola wrote:
mechanismj wrote:
polar sky wrote:
Mexicola wrote:

What is SOTL?

EDIT: mechanismj, I'm almost envious of you if you've not heard them yet. I'd love to be in the position of discovering them again.

I've heard nothing but good things. I'm waiting for a moment when I can truly sit, relax, and absorb it! It's been a long time since I've listened to any good ambient music, really.

Sherbet Head
mechanismj wrote:
Mexicola wrote:
mechanismj wrote:
polar sky wrote:
Mexicola wrote:

What is SOTL?

I've heard nothing but good things. I'm waiting for a moment when I can truly sit, relax, and absorb it! It's been a long time since I've listened to any good ambient music, really.

Tell you what Mexicola, I'm in exactly the same position. What release do you recommend me star with?

Sherbet Head
Chronological order works in my opinion the best here.

Music For Nitrous Oxide -> Gravitational Pull vs. the Desire for An Aquatic Life -> The Ballasted Orchestra ->(Maneuvering The Nocturnal Hum EP) -> Per Aspera Ad Astra -> Avec Laudenum -> The Tired Sound Of Stars Of The Lid, you can skip the latest album if you ask me.

It's a daunting task to get into SOTL, but trust me, listening to all of that in one streak is just amazing. For shortened version, listen to Tired Sounds and then continue from the beginning if you liked it.

Sherbet Head
no love for And the Refinement of Their Decline?

I got into them with Tired Sounds of Stars of the Lid and the Dead Texan side project, which was a slightly more upbeat version of SOTL. the dead texan is a good starting place [and great date movie].
Lens Larque wrote:For a while I was wondering what happened to the Depression thread and I was not sure if that was good or bad news.

Sherbet Head
Cryabetes wrote:no love for And the Refinement of Their Decline?

I got into them with Tired Sounds of Stars of the Lid and the Dead Texan side project, which was a slightly more upbeat version of SOTL. the dead texan is a good starting place [and great date movie].

I don't honestly like Refinement Of Their Decline. Too many strings and the sound overall is way too monotonous. I also don't like how they lost all of their remaining lo-fi influences here. To me, the album is just boring.

Thanks for pointing Dead Texan to me, I'll definitely look into that very soon.

Good suggestions all.

The truth is, you really can't go wrong no matter where you start. The early stuff has a raw, more guitar-heavy feel. Almost showgaze in places. Almost, but not really.

The later material definately ups the ante in a big way though. Far grander and bolder in it's scope and vision, but without throwing away that well worn SOTL mantra: SLOW DOWN...

For what it's worth, my personal favorite is probably still Ballested Orchestra. It's a shade darker than their other albums though and maybe not the best place to start.

I'd probably suggest working in a rough reverse chronological order. 'The Tired Sounds of Stars of the Lid' is a good entry point and pretty representative of their current work. 'Refinement of the Decline' is excellent and similar in feel to Tired Sounds. Disavowed would kill me if I didn't mention Avec Laudenaum however and it as it's slightly shorter in duration you might find it easier to digest in one sitting, unlike the double-albums I've mentioned earlier.

Or, how about a track 'playlist' to get you started?

* Mullholland
* Apreludes in C#Major
* Requiem For Dying Mothers (Part 1 and 2)
* Central Texas
* The Atomium (Parts 1, 2 and 3)
* December Hunting For Vegetarian Fuckface
* Tapehiss Makes Me Happy

Oh and welcome to my favorite band by the way (Wot! Not BOC?!?) :wink:

Slow down...

Happy Cycler
SOTL are so amazing, deserved mention in this thread

-the smell of freshly cut grass
-countryside walks
-getting something off your chest
-going to sleep when you're so tired
-picnics
-radios and such technology
-scandanavia
-iceland - my most favourite country :)
-good people
Sagan: In order to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe.

Basinski: I wanted Cascade to become this crystalline organism like a star or a liquid crystal spaceship, a jellyfish traveling through the galaxy…

Happy Cycler
Duffle coats
Cigars
Sunny but cold days
The feeling when you stand up and realise you're quite drunk
Soundscapes
Beach and Marshy land just behind it
The beach during winter
Beach Cricket/Football
Ties
Candlelight
Jazz clubs
White Russians (the drink, haha just saying to make sure I don't look like a racist)
Galliano (another spirit)
Harvey Wallbanger (awesome cocktail)
Old things
Old papers
Listening to Illmatic really loud thinking im really ghetto, but really im just a man from England haha
Sagan: In order to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe.

Basinski: I wanted Cascade to become this crystalline organism like a star or a liquid crystal spaceship, a jellyfish traveling through the galaxy…

Eagle Minded
fujee wrote:Listening to Illmatic really loud thinking im really ghetto, but really im just a man from England haha

Top notch album, I do the same thing. 8)
One small step for man, one giant leap for Wagon Christ.

Happy Cycler
Probably my favourite Hip Hop album, fairly obvious choice - but it's just brilliant.

Now, this man deserves a special mention in my list.

John Coltrane - Probably my favourite Musician, hours of listening for this man.

Happy Cycler
May as well just bump this and make myself look mad.

- Daydreaming
- Sunglasses
- Ice cream
- Cereal and really cold milk
- Unfocusing your eyes and/or staring at something for ages when you're deep in thought and the staring feels really nice - until someone brings you back into the room
- Woodland
- When round your mates, hooking up your computer to a massive HD television and going on a browse of the internet - puzzles, stumbles, pictures etc.. it's actually really enjoyable !

Sherbet Head
fujee wrote:- When round your mates, hooking up your computer to a massive HD television and going on a browse of the internet - puzzles, stumbles, pictures etc.. it's actually really enjoyable !

I dunno, in reality it always seems to end up like this, at least for me: http://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/youtube_parties.png

But in a perfect world, yeah it's great.

Happy Cycler
Yeah I know exactly what you mean, but it's fun regardless. Especially when you're high haha

Sherbet Head
You know that moment just before a kiss? Like, before you've hooked up with someone or for the first time. You spend a lot of time just trying to pick up signs and stuff and really do not know, and then you think like FUCK IT and lean in. And when you lean in you're like fuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuck untill she's down with it..

I like that.

Happy Cycler
Yeah the anticipation and nervousness. Then bliss !

PreviousNext

Return to The Playground