ATP Julie and Candy high quality

Everything related to our favorite Scottish duo.

Moderators: mdg, Mexicola, 2020k, Fredd-E, Aesthetics

Eagle Minded

Friendly Stranger
mind=blown ok so this is legit

Eagle Minded
Err I'm confused.....that definitely sounds to me like the ATP version, not some fake troll soundtrack....but people are still saying it is? Maybe that guy had it in the tags as a joke....

Eagle Minded
Ender wrote:Err I'm confused.....that definitely sounds to me like the ATP version, not some fake troll soundtrack....but people are still saying it is? Maybe that guy had it in the tags as a joke....

Yeah, it's not a soundtrack. That's just one of the nonsensical descriptions that was posted for the video at one point, i.e. red snow beards (or whatever is posted there currently).

I believe at some point there was a fake set of BOC tracks going around tagged as "80 city's hot soundtrack" or whatever, and I think that being included in the description initially was kind of poking fun at that title, because it's obviously a legitimate leak of some sort (whether that be an ATP soundboard recording, or an early studio version, etc).

Eagle Minded
Elephant Face wrote:
Ender wrote:Err I'm confused.....that definitely sounds to me like the ATP version, not some fake troll soundtrack....but people are still saying it is? Maybe that guy had it in the tags as a joke....

Yeah, it's not a soundtrack. That's just one of the nonsensical descriptions that was posted for the video at one point, i.e. red snow beards (or whatever is posted there currently).

I believe at some point there was a fake set of BOC tracks going around tagged as "80 city's hot soundtrack" or whatever, and I think that being included in the description initially was kind of poking fun at that title, because it's obviously a legitimate leak of some sort (whether that be an ATP soundboard recording, or an early studio version, etc).

Yup, that's pretty much what I was thinking.

Posts Quantity
The video info seems to me to be a literal description of the content of the visuals...

"1980s amateur footage snow computer beards"...It looks like amateur footage of a couple of bearded guys (the Sandisons perhaps??) skiing. The footage was ran through a computer program (obviously) to add the kaleidoscope effect. What does this mean exactly and does it solve anything? Absolutely not. :D

Sherbet Head
Dual Acid Jenny
Candy Jail Nude
Lacy Ninja Dude
Jaded in Lunacy

Friendly Stranger
hmmm.

awesome video. awesome track. awesome quality.

good times.

New Seed
Wow. What an awesome find.

I was at the ATP show and those were the exact same visuals projected behind them during their performance. It was pretty hard to tell what they were doing behind all their banks of kit but i got the impression one of them was manipulating the video stuff live, but i couldn't really say for sure. But this is definitely either the same video feed or done using the same method and identical footage of skiers, etc. They clearly put so much work into each of their live sets it'll be great if the whole performance eventually sees the light of day. The whole experience was incredibly trippy and so much of this material was completely new at the time. I vividly remember this song in particular and that squelchy grinding bass sounding immense and being so fun to dance to. I was so pleased when it turned out to be on Geogaddi, but i've always visualised all those kaleidoscopic skiers/skydivers from the first time i heard that track.

Sherbet Head
leth wrote:Wow. What an awesome find.

I was at the ATP show and those were the exact same visuals projected behind them during their performance. It was pretty hard to tell what they were doing behind all their banks of kit but i got the impression one of them was manipulating the video stuff live, but i couldn't really say for sure. But this is definitely either the same video feed or done using the same method and identical footage of skiers, etc. They clearly put so much work into each of their live sets it'll be great if the whole performance eventually sees the light of day. The whole experience was incredibly trippy and so much of this material was completely new at the time. I vividly remember this song in particular and that squelchy grinding bass sounding immense and being so fun to dance to. I was so pleased when it turned out to be on Geogaddi, but i've always visualised all those kaleidoscopic skiers/skydivers from the first time i heard that track.

Woah. Great first post and awesome that you were there to witness that epic event! Would be so cool to see a video of BoC's gig 8)

Posts Quantity
fuckin sick. I've been hoping that it was the actual visuals displayed at the show. IMO it points to a possible live release (or at least the reassurance that their live material is all recorded somewhere)

Dayvan Cowboy
Could someone PM me this track?

Eagle Minded

Hoooooly crap :shock: That is awesome. Who could that be that uploaded it then, I wonder? I mean, if that's really BoC I'm wondering why they didn't just upload it on their own channel......

Anyways, awesome first post, and welcome to Twoism! :D

New Seed
GRIM.657 wrote:fuckin sick. I've been hoping that it was the actual visuals displayed at the show. IMO it points to a possible live release (or at least the reassurance that their live material is all recorded somewhere)

I remember around the time of Geogaddi they mentioned in a few interviews that they were working on a DVD which i always assumed would be along the same lines of this stuff they were projecting live. It obviously never materialised but i'm sure they've got plenty of footage like this that they could release. It's great actually knowing that they have a soundboard recording of their ATP live set and of the visuals that went with it. I sort of feel that if they were going to release the whole thing they would have done so by now, but i think there would be some value in compiling the best bits from their earlier days and proper versions of the best unreleased songs they played live. Some of this stuff was great but i'm guessing it never got released because those tracks didn't fit comfortably on any of their subsequent records or they felt they were no longer representative of the band. They seem to have consciously wanted to move away from being viewed as a dance/electronica/IDM band and i reckon that's why things like X,Y,Z and the more banging live material were shelved in favour of the more gently psychedelic ambient stuff. Anyways, that would all be less of an issue if it was presented as a collection of earlier unreleased works.

Posts Quantity
Has anyone else bothered to google Atalanta Fugiens?

http://www.levity.com/alchemy/atalanta.html

Dayvan Cowboy
Integer wrote:Has anyone else bothered to google Atalanta Fugiens?

Yeah I did back on page one :) Interesting if that's a hint as to the direction of the next album's theme, the alchemy, the Rosicrucians etc.

Friendly Stranger
Wow Leth's comment that the video is the same one as the live performance is really odd. Had to be someone connected with the band then, and seeing as BoC link it on their youtube channel they must be fine with it.

Sherbet Head
Integer wrote:Has anyone else bothered to google Atalanta Fugiens?

zeoevil wrote:I would like to take this opportunity to point out that the user who posted the Julie and Candy is Atalanta Fugiens. This is also the name of a book written by Michael Maire who was an alchemist that was profoundly influenced by religion and math. It is subtitled the New Chymical Emblems of the Secrets of Nature and is filled with symbolism. Chymistry is an archaic word for chemistry. Sounds pretty Boards of Canada does it not? Someone is screwing with us. Just who that is remains to be seen.

I did back in the original thread but no one was interested.

Eagle Minded
I usually don't have much interest for live BoC stuff for the everlastingly annoying crowd jabbering through every track, but this is an exception.

Awesome.

Friendly Stranger

I had actually prepared a long ranting post about how this might be official footage from their live set uploaded anonymously by the band themselves so much thanks for the confirmation of my paranoias/hopes.

:wink:

Decided to not make the post at the last minute cuz I kind of sounded like a conspiracy theorist but now that I don't feel so crazy I'll dredge up what I saved in a day or two when my other computer is cured of some cursed virus.

For those who are willing, read up on what Atalanta Fugiens is! It will greatly improve your understanding of what exactly BoC was going for with Geogaddi. All talk of magick, mysterious symbols, and music that invokes codes. It's no coincidence this youtube account bears that title, and it is such a related yet obscure reference that it must have actually been a substantial inspiration for the album. I'm also suspicious that The Devil Is In The Details may even use one of the songs in the book for its incredibly unusual beat and musical tones.

Finally, this video post was made during the Winter Solstice FYI.

PreviousNext

Return to Boards of Canada