Anime

Random chat: movies, books, games, technology, etcetera.

Moderators: Mexicola, 2020k, Fredd-E, Aesthetics

Sherbet Head
Ender wrote:
Vexille wrote:
Ender wrote:Wow, this thread is pretty active. A lot more people here watch anime than I would've guessed :shock:
It's not exactly some underground thing since it's been on Adult Swim since...forever. And before that the Saturday Anime on old Sci Fi. At least now anybody can download anything they want to watch.

Yeah, I guess I just meant I didn't think to associate BoC crowd with anime crowd, even though I'm one such person myself. :lol:
We're nerdy enough to be posting on a boc forum. Doesn't come as a surprise to me. :lol:

Sherbet Head
I've started watching "Michiko to Hatchin" now, its taking a little longer to get into than Cowboy Beebop and Champloo but I can tell that its going to get me hooked. I havent actualy finished watching Ergo Proxy yet but it is a realy good, it slumped a little in the middle, but it got even more awesome after that.

Eagle Minded
I just bought the collectors edition Akira, amazing. about to get Ghost in the Shell, a load of Miyazaki films (including my neighbor totoro which I haven't got to see yet, can't wait, love miyazaki!!!! :) ), and endless waltz from my brother. Not a huge Gundam fan, but I did get into Gundam Wing when I was younger.

on a side note, has anyone here seen Grave of the Fireflies? Absolutely devastating film, but very good.

Happy Cycler
I like Cowboy Bebop

Nova Scotia Robot
JosephG wrote:on a side note, has anyone here seen Grave of the Fireflies? Absolutely devastating film, but very good.

Yeah I've watched it a couple times. First time I watched it a single tear ran down my cheek. Saddest movie ever.

Eagle Minded
747Music wrote:
JosephG wrote:on a side note, has anyone here seen Grave of the Fireflies? Absolutely devastating film, but very good.

Yeah I've watched it a couple times. First time I watched it a single tear ran down my cheek. Saddest movie ever.

I shed a few myself. And it's based on a true story. The woes humans have unleashed on each other... ugh... :cry:

Happy Cycler
quick poll, best miyazaki film.

Mine's Princess Mononoke.

Eagle Minded
The Telepathic Kid wrote:quick poll, best miyazaki film.

I have to go with Spirited Away, it's the best one I've seen so far (and one of my most fav movies ever) . My bro is giving me some vids of his today, can't wait to finish Howl's Moving Castle and start my neighbor totoro yay!!!! :D

Spirited Away, hands down!

Can we all agree that Ponyo was crap?

Friendly Stranger
Ponyo was disappointing, yes. It started off well enough, had everything it needed to become and enduring classic of the Ghibli canon, but fell flat on it's face 3/4ths through. I can't recommend it to anyone. Return of the Cat and Tales from Earthsea are similarly lackluster.

Pick just one? So hard! What about the epic Laputa (Castle in the Sky)? I also always liked Kiki's Delivery Service, it's a particularly simple and moving little story. Also Whispers of the Heart, which is easily the most amazing piece of animation from Ghibli, even if the story is odd. Clean and brilliant otherwise. Porco Rosso is brilliant and doesn't take itself too seriously. Lots of fun. 2nd place on my favourite list.

A hard to find one is Omohide Poro Poro (Memories Trickling) titled in English as Only Yesterday. It's about a middle aged woman reliving her past in short bursts- it's chock full of 1960's Japanese pop culture references no-one in the US will understand, but it's amazing nonetheless. And the soundtrack is mostly Hungarian folk music!

The only DVDs I currently own are Ghibli films. I consider them separately from general anime, they're just that good, but also aimed at a different market.

Hard to pick just one- but I'll always say Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind is my favourite film of all time.

Happy Cycler
Ponyo was great! It made more sense than damn Howl's Moving Castle.

So many plot holes and Deus Ex Machinas it's not funny.

Eagle Minded
Another good anime out there is Gungrave. It's by the guy who made Trigun and I almost never hear anything about it, but I really liked it.

As for Ponyo I can't really comment because I haven't seen it yet, but I could tell from the trailers that it was meh. I believe this is the first one that's directed by Miyazaki's son rather than Miyazaki himself, isn't it? Kinda disappointing, but I kind of figured that if it wasn't directed by Miyazaki himself it wouldn't be as good.

Nova Scotia Robot
Don't forget about Tekkonkinkreet.

Sherbet Head
I love princess mononoke but spirited away is just so undeniably masterful in its storytelling.

Friendly Stranger
Ender wrote:As for Ponyo... I believe this is the first one that's directed by Miyazaki's son rather than Miyazaki himself, isn't it? Kinda disappointing, but I kind of figured that if it wasn't directed by Miyazaki himself it wouldn't be as good.

Actually Hayao Miyazaki directed Ponyo himself.

You're thinking of Tales from Earthsea, that was the first one directed by his son. It sux donkee ballz as a film, though the world design and soundtrack is very good.

The Telepathic Kid wrote:Ponyo was great! It made more sense than damn Howl's Moving Castle

I enjoyed Howl's, I even own a copy. It's completely different from the british novel it was "based" on, but for some reason it's got a unique charm I can't help but fall in love with. Something about tarnished innocence and simplistic, almost childish love. It does unravel a bit at the end but I forgive it.

Sherbet Head
The Other wrote:Trigun (my favorite of all time)

I started watching this (on your recomendation 8) ) right after i'd finished Michiko to Hatchin, im on episode 16 just now and i've gotten right into it. I would generaly stear clear of an anime like this if i just saw a small clip of it (there was something about the drawing style I didnt like at first, i cant place it though), but once all the characters were developed I'd gotten fairly hooked. This is a great series.

Thanks.

Eagle Minded
Pantheon wrote:
The Other wrote:Trigun (my favorite of all time)

I started watching this (on your recomendation 8) ) right after i'd finished Michiko to Hatchin, im on episode 16 just now and i've gotten right into it. I would generaly stear clear of an anime like this if i just saw a small clip of it (there was something about the drawing style I didnt like at first, i cant place it though), but once all the characters were developed I'd gotten fairly hooked. This is a great series.

Thanks.

Haha, yeah it takes a little getting into. As I said in a previous post, if you like that you might like Gungrave :D

Nova Scotia Robot
747Music wrote:Don't forget about Tekkonkinkreet.

Plaid did the soundtrack. Go watch it now.... now!

Boqurant

The Cat Returns for me!

Nova Scotia Robot
Music is Math wrote:

The Cat Returns for me!

Princess Mononoke for me too. Although tbh, I haven't seen The Cat Returns yet. But I looove Princess Mononoke.

PreviousNext

Return to The Playground