Christian Fennesz

Discussions related to music in general.

Moderators: Mexicola, 2020k, Fredd-E, Aesthetics

Posts Quantity
I am a huge Fennesz fan. For me, the pure ingenious music is perhaps more meaningful that the Boards at times (but I do like the Boards a ton too).
He's just SO interesting. The music has a curiousity to it, a deep meaning that is twisting and changing constantly. His abrasive jarring tracks like "The Stone of Impermanence" are met with his funky, clunky tracks like "Before I Leave" and it's just so dramatically different.
He collaborated with Ryuichi Sakamoto on one of the best ambient albums I've heard, Cendre, and that alone is just gold.
I saw him live in San Francisco last year, on a rare tour of North America, and it was a great experience. I hope so much he comes back.
There isn't too much of a point to this thread, but I guess I'm sort of wondering if I'm alone here. I figured I might as well ask. Any huge Fennesz fans? Anyone know of a fan site?

Sherbet Head
I'm a huge Fennesz fan :D I find he makes really vivid masterpieces of abstract soundscapes... if I kind of just zone out while something is playing, the noise and tones bind together to form some unique whole, and it's greatly immersive. Then there's songs like Circassian... what an emotional track! I tear up after listening to it sometimes :l

I can't even pick out a favourite album of his. Venice, Black Sea, Endless Summer.... they're all FANTASTIC albums. Fennesz is a great artist 8)

With comparison to BoC, I find Fennesz's music to be an abstract painting, whereas BoC may be a psychedelic looking piece of artwork, layered in an abstract fashion, but with organic elements. Hard to directly compare the two though.

Posts Quantity
Yes! You did a better job with your description. But it sounds like we're thinking the same here... Good, I'm glad it's not just me.

Dayvan Cowboy
I keep meaning to look into him more, given that I'm generally interested in this sort of shoegaze/post-rock/electronic/whatevs. Any recommendations as to where to start?

Sherbet Head
Boards Of Canada, Fennesz, William Basinski and Stars Of Lid create the best music in the world right now in my subjective opinion.

Maybe Fennesz is number 2 on my list. Can't wait for the new "Seven Stars" EP!!!

http://www.factmag.com/2011/05/27/fenne ... -stars-ep/

:shock:

Sherbet Head
I find Fennesz music very human and not as psychedelic and otherwordly as BOCs music.
BOCs music seems to be more spiritual and mystic in a supernatural way.

Posts Quantity
Treefingers wrote: Any recommendations as to where to start?

I started with "Endless Summer" which is amazing. "Venice" is sort of similar to "Endless Summer". I think if you don't like that, maybe shift to "Black Sea" for a more melodic experience, or to "Hotel Paral.lel" for a more experimental, glitchy sound.

"Plus 47 Degrees 56 Hrs 37 Min Minus 16 Degrees 51" is great too, but hard to find. "Cendre" is an ambient journey featuring Ryuichi Sakamoto, and is beautiful minimalism. And "Knoxville" is improvised mayhem but beautiful.

Posts Quantity
Archrival wrote: Can't wait for the new "Seven Stars" EP!!!

http://www.factmag.com/2011/05/27/fenne ... -stars-ep/

:shock:

I had no idea! You just made my day

Posts Quantity
US fans, Fennesz will be at the Hollywood Bowl on June 26th, The Warfield in SF on June 27th...

Posts Quantity
If I made a Fennesz fan site, would anyone visit it???

Sherbet Head
I certainly would 8)

Archrival wrote:Boards Of Canada, Fennesz, William Basinski and Stars Of Lid create the best music in the world right now in my subjective opinion.

OK, so this ^^^ got my attention. :shock:
Checking him out now....

Slow down...

Posts Quantity
seven stars dropped and is amazing, I can't wait to get a copy

Posts Quantity
http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/detailview.html?KEY=RZCM-46910

Flumina is his thrid collaboration with Ryuichi Sakamoto. You know, if there are any other fans out thee.

Dayvan Cowboy
Was out driving the other day and 'A Year in a Minute' from Endless Summer came on. It was sunny and we were driving through a beautiful forest and the music just didn't fit the surroundings.
It made me think - have all the reviews that I've read of this album totally missed the point? Every review mentions the Beach Boys film and the 'summery vibe' of the album, but I just don't get that at all.
What popped straight into my head was that the album, particularly that track, is a post-apocalyptic soundscape and that 'Endless Summer' really means an earth scorched by climate change.
It seems to me that the original album cover with its BOC-like vibe ties in with this interpretation as well.
Anyone else think this?

Sherbet Head
jcnporter wrote:Was out driving the other day and 'A Year in a Minute' from Endless Summer came on. It was sunny and we were driving through a beautiful forest and the music just didn't fit the surroundings.
It made me think - have all the reviews that I've read of this album totally missed the point? Every review mentions the Beach Boys film and the 'summery vibe' of the album, but I just don't get that at all.
What popped straight into my head was that the album, particularly that track, is a post-apocalyptic soundscape and that 'Endless Summer' really means an earth scorched by climate change.
It seems to me that the original album cover with its BOC-like vibe ties in with this interpretation as well.
Anyone else think this?

Yes! I had the feeling that I was listening to the wrong album after reading the reviews for it. It's not a blissful listening experience for me at all. I like Fennesz, but my go to album is Venice, not Endless Summer. "Transit", in particular, with David Sylvian is an absolutely devastating track.

Return to This Random Sound