Dad, look at the TV!

Everything related to our favorite Scottish duo.

Moderators: mdg, Mexicola, 2020k, Fredd-E, Aesthetics

Happy Cycler
I don't know if anyone here has brought this up before, but the track Apparatus on Old Tunes 2 is far more interesting than first meets the ears. In your left channel, you have a kind of cheesy old skool techno track playing, and in the right you have what appears to be a snippet of an old sci-fi flick from the 50's or 60's.

Here's where it gets interesting. I used to use tracking programs like Impulse Tracker and Fast Tracker 2 back in the day to make my music, so I knew a little about the old MOD scene. Now, someone once told me that part of this song was made from an old .MOD file. So, I set out to look for it and one day, I think after sifting through the Hornet Archive, I found the original .MOD. Here it is for your listening pleasure... in the much more accessible Mp3 format...

http://www.yousendit.com/transfer.php?a ... 9E7DF4C86E

The original song was made by a guy from Norway who called himself Hellraiser back in 1990. Obviously, BOC sped up and edited the .MOD when they used it in Apparatus.

But anyway, this leaves me with several questions. Who is Hellraiser? How did BOC know about this song? Did BOC make any .MODs themselves? Were BOC somehow affiliated with the old MOD scene? What gave BOC the crazy idea to make Apparatus? Most importantly, Where the fuck does the movie sample come from? Does anybody know?

Dayvan Cowboy
I listened to this in an altered state of mind with closed ear headphones... it felt like I was in a college dorm room with a computer game being played on one side of me and someone watching an old movie on the other side of me ... I love that computer music... it's exciting

Dayvan Cowboy
What an awesome find mechanismj... That Hellraiser track is badass!

Boqurant
How do you know it's an arist called Hellraiser from Norway?
could it be a soundtrack from a Hellraiser computer game? there was one for the Amiga in 1989 and there was one put into development for the NES but it never happened, that was in 1990.

Happy Cycler
lyrical wrote:How do you know it's an arist called Hellraiser from Norway?
could it be a soundtrack from a Hellraiser computer game? there was one for the Amiga in 1989 and there was one put into development for the NES but it never happened, that was in 1990.

Hmm. I hadn't thought of that. That fact is, I don't know for sure. Here's all the info it gives inside of the .MOD itself...

#Hellraiser
#of Triumph 1990
hellraiser/ Triumph

Alexander Mathisen
Rosenlundv.30
3150 Tolvsod
Norway

Boqurant
more here

http://dascene.net/detail.php?detail=modules&view=3285

doesn't look like a game soundtrack then, with his handle being "hellraiser".

Dayvan Cowboy
thats really cool...i really like this track. very BoCish

Posts Quantity
This definitely sounds like an Amiga 500 produced it....so maybe an old computer game theme tune.

Friendly Stranger
Kudos on two parts my friend. Thanks for finding this song, its so cool to hear this! And also thank you for reminding me of the whole mod scene. Man those were the days, I remember before mp3's came out, thats all you could find was crappy remixes of real tunes. Oh those were the days. There was also other files along with mod's too wasnt there?

Dayvan Cowboy
Scream Tracker = .s3m

I had a bunch of songs in Scream Tracker, circa 1993-1994 (?). All laid down to cassette.

One track which I really liked, was reminiscent of standing under phone lines, hearing quick static bursts and voice passages ever so briefly. Faint piano punctuated by a nearby storm.

I was *so* excited when I saw the track listing for "Heard From Telegraph Lines", hoping it would take me back to those days. It didn't, but did take me to an entirely (much better) place.

Everything is lost now of course. Yay for the passage of time.

Happy Cycler
powerlinemisfortune wrote:Kudos on two parts my friend. Thanks for finding this song, its so cool to hear this! And also thank you for reminding me of the whole mod scene. Man those were the days, I remember before mp3's came out, thats all you could find was crappy remixes of real tunes. Oh those were the days. There was also other files along with mod's too wasnt there?

Oh yeah. There were other formats. .IT .S3m .FT2 .MOD and a few others. I think they were all basically called mods because they were module files for certain programs and they were all part of the scene.

Happy Cycler
wwbjd wrote:Scream Tracker = .s3m

I had a bunch of songs in Scream Tracker, circa 1993-1994 (?). All laid down to cassette.

One track which I really liked, was reminiscent of standing under phone lines, hearing quick static bursts and voice passages ever so briefly. Faint piano punctuated by a nearby storm.

I was *so* excited when I saw the track listing for "Heard From Telegraph Lines", hoping it would take me back to those days. It didn't, but did take me to an entirely (much better) place.

Everything is lost now of course. Yay for the passage of time.

Oh man, I've still got THOUSANDS of mods of various types. Have you ever heard of the Finland group Future Crew, In particular Purple Motion? He was the greatest tracker there ever was. Wrote some amazing tunes! In fact they were the ones that made Scream Tracker 3.

Woohoo. 100th post!

Friendly Stranger
I just pulled out my P1-133 from my room and lone behold, I must have like 100 various mod files. If i can figure out how to get them off there, I will gladly post em.

If anyone has anything to post, or knows where to get some, please indulge us!

Happy Cycler
There's various sites that still have millions of them. The best ones that I know of are...

www.modarchive.com

shit... I was gonna say www.hornet.org but they appear to be down now... sunuvabitch...

Posts Quantity
The movie sample is from Terror from the Year 5000. I've never seen it, but I read that on an old watmm post.

http://64.233.187.104/search?q=cache:jN ... clnk&cd=28

http://64.233.187.104/search?q=cache:Sz ... clnk&cd=35

posts 73, 78, and 85

Happy Cycler
Excellent stuff, Aorta. Thanks!

Nova Scotia Robot
I figured this might as well be posted here. It's the scene in the movie "Terror from the Year 5000" that BoC sampled. It's about 1:32 into the clip. Mind the crappy commentary.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=nbWHk38_vFw&feature=related

Happy Cycler
god old tunes are fucking amazing
another silo full / another dark dawn / bending the air / love is so small

returnal \ you've never left \ you've been here the whole time

Dayvan Cowboy
"From time unborn... a hideous she-thing!"

BRILLIANT.
"Now son, don't worry, those were just lies Daddy told to get prescription drugs"

Eagle Minded
747Music wrote:I figured this might as well be posted here. It's the scene in the movie "Terror from the Year 5000" that BoC sampled. It's about 1:32 into the clip. Mind the crappy commentary.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=nbWHk38_vFw&feature=related

hehe, "crappy commentary" is way more entertaining than the 'old tunes' referenced...

Next

Return to Boards of Canada