Samplespotting: Sixtyten

Everything related to our favorite Scottish duo.

Moderators: mdg, Mexicola, 2020k, Fredd-E, Aesthetics

Dayvan Cowboy
Of the two turntable samples in this track, one is known to be Earth Wind and Fire "Getaway", where he's singing "I know we can, I know we can". The other is variously interpreted as a voice saying "what's happening" or even "David Addison". That sample has always bothered me, because I had a feeling that wasn't "spotted" correctly. I'm now 100% sure I've found what it really is... I've been messing around with FL to try and get slam-dunk proof but my sample-fu is weak, so maybe someone can do a better job than me.

If you grab the sample from Sixtyten, there's a clear one at 3:29, and flip it into reverse, you can hear that it's another sample from a vinyl pulled backwards. In the foreground you've got the notes BoC are playing, try and ignore them, and in the background behind the voice you can hear a quite trebly note - if you use that as a reference pitch, and try and unwarp the speed of the sample, the vocal becomes even clearer.

And we don't need to look too far to find where they got it: another song off the SAME Earth Wind and Fire album called "On Your Face". The lyric is "Keep a smiling face" but you only get "Keep a smiling..." before the pitch runs down too far. It shows up in all the choruses, there's a good one at 2:26 (see http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hKwilkWC_uM ) The note in the background is the brass there.

I'm guessing this album has some kind of significance for them if they've pulled two samples out of it for the same song?

Edit: Here's my best shot at filtering out BoC's synths and stabilising the pitch.
http://www.tempfiles.net/download/20121 ... ilin2.html

Edit2: Ugh, that's a pretty crappy download page. Sorry about the 45 second wait thing. I don't have hosting at the mo.

Edit3: Corrected the name of the track with the sample in
Last edited by Negamuse on Thu Nov 01, 2012 11:00 am, edited 2 times in total.

Eagle Minded
oh wow good job here. i always thought that the sample was just a high pitch voice saying "Get off of me!!" but its a reversed earth wind and fire lyric... how awesome. Sixtyten has some of my favorite use of samples especially in the live ATP version.
MUSIC 70 IN THE HOUSE

New Seed
I'm a bit confused as to the source of the sample. The song 'Weekend' is by the 1970s Dutch psychedelic pop band Earth and Fire, not the US funk/soul group Earth, Wind and Fire. I can't find reference to the song 'On your Own' from either band.

Good work on the sample searching, but what band/album are you referring to exactly?

Eagle Minded
Wow, that's great work, i always wondered where it was from.

Incidentally i understood some of the samples were taken from Earth Wind and Fires "Getaway"? On the live version from ATP they play a really blatent sample from it at some point (I can't give you the time as i'm on my work PC) but it's something like "let's leave today"
We had a dream last night. We had the same dream.

Dayvan Cowboy
ganzlin wrote:I'm a bit confused as to the source of the sample. The song 'Weekend' is by the 1970s Dutch psychedelic pop band Earth and Fire, not the US funk/soul group Earth, Wind and Fire. I can't find reference to the song 'On your Own' from either band.

Good work on the sample searching, but what band/album are you referring to exactly?

I messed up both track titles, (while overexcited probably) "Getaway" not "Weekend", "On your face" not "On your own", and both are from the album "Spirit" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spirit_%28 ... e_album%29

Incidentally i understood some of the samples were taken from Earth Wind and Fires "Getaway"? On the live version from ATP they play a really blatent sample from it at some point (I can't give you the time as i'm on my work PC) but it's something like "let's leave today"

Yeah I messed up in my first post, I've edited it now. Sounds like they used a different section from the same track.

Dayvan Cowboy
So were you able to find the source of the sample at 3:29 (the one that sounds like 'get off of me')?

Dayvan Cowboy
ryetronics wrote:So were you able to find the source of the sample at 3:29 (the one that sounds like 'get off of me')?

That's the exact one I used, that's the Earth Wind and Fire lyric. Crazy huh? For those that want to repeat the experiment, this is what I did, all using free stuff (apart from FL and you can use a demo version for that)

* Remove BoC's synths in Audacity using "Remove noise" and using the synth notes just before the sample comes in as the noise profile. Its pretty rough but it does.
* Reverse the sample in Audacity.

You can hear it pretty well at this point but the speed goes up and down, so to fix that.
* In FL, have it as a sample just repeating.
* Using Gross Beat (again the free demo works for this just won't let you save), dick about with the time curves to slow it down and speed it back up so that it's back to something like the original.

Edit: Here's an MP3 with the intermediate steps.
https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B0Spo0 ... UZYUmliREU
1 - raw sample
2 - synths removed
3 - reversed
4 - speed fixed

Eagle Minded
Is there an Earth Wind and Fire song with the lyrics "1 2 3 4" ? I reversed the sample from the ATP performance that begins at 3:03 with the sort of DJ fader effect.. i got this:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/57650009/1234.wav

I always thought that it was just a regular sample that wasn't reversed only filtered in some way but seeing this thread has made me skeptical..
MUSIC 70 IN THE HOUSE

Sherbet Head
well, its nice to see that i am not the only person who thought they heard a voice saying get off of me, in sixtyten

Dayvan Cowboy
PlacentaSand wrote:Is there an Earth Wind and Fire song with the lyrics "1 2 3 4" ? I reversed the sample from the ATP performance that begins at 3:03 with the sort of DJ fader effect.. i got this:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/57650009/1234.wav

I always thought that it was just a regular sample that wasn't reversed only filtered in some way but seeing this thread has made me skeptical..

Nah, that's forwards, it's "Lets leave today" from Getaway. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vE2zx4lr-h8&t=0m16s

Eagle Minded
Oh my bad thanks. I totally read that and didn't retain any information due to the fact that i know nothing about earth wind and fire. still sounds like 1234 backmasked though.
MUSIC 70 IN THE HOUSE

How the hell did you figure this out?!? I mean, I understand the steps, but....

Genius!! 8)

Slow down...

Friendly Stranger
Amazing! How you figured this out is beyond me.
Audio Engineer for Bon Iver's "Bon Iver"

www.soundcloud.com/andyimmerman
www.andyimmerman.bandcamp.com

Boqurant
Bravo!

Dayvan Cowboy
PlacentaSand wrote:i always thought that the sample was just a high pitch voice saying "Get off of me!!"

:shock: :shock: :shock:
Valotonin wrote:Celebrate collapse because it will be beautiful x

Dayvan Cowboy
pianoforte wrote:
PlacentaSand wrote:i always thought that the sample was just a high pitch voice saying "Get off of me!!"

I thought that too.
endlessly manifold, self contained revealed, replete

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TTfU5SOlSf8

http://maketapesounds.bandcamp.com/

Dayvan Cowboy
TaoTapeTao wrote:
pianoforte wrote:

I thought that too.

Yeah, for a long time, I did too, if it hadn't been for the Getaway sample being identified, I wouldn't have questioned it at all. Because then I noticed the speed of it, it wasn't just a sample it was going up to speed and back down again, so it was another record being pulled. The moment I flipped it I knew I was on the right track cos you can hear the original drumbeat there too. Also if it had been any other record, I wouldn't have been able to identify it, I just took a punt it was from the same LP and got lucky.

Posts Quantity
PlacentaSand wrote:i always thought that the sample was just a high pitch voice saying "Get off of me!!".

I always heard the sample as saying "remember me".

Sherbet Head
This is awesome man! Nice find!

I always heard 'Get offa me!' too. Never questioned it, really... figured it was some kid from some 1970s/80s North American TV show/ad... :0

Man.. who needs new boc when the old boc keeps turning up new stuff... :0

Next

Return to Boards of Canada