Boards Of Canada - Peel Sessions Broadcast 21 July 1998

Everything related to our favorite Scottish duo.

Moderators: mdg, Mexicola, 2020k, Fredd-E, Aesthetics

Boqurant
"there it is..." ...

Yeah, but this not what i meant...apart from xyz those tracks are availlable on cd.But there's a recording where John Peel talks with Mike and Marcus about their tracks,plans and this and that and that's what i'am looking for,
the session with the whole interview...

Posts Quantity
esky wrote:"there it is..." ...

Yeah, but this not what i meant...apart from xyz those tracks are availlable on cd.But there's a recording where John Peel talks with Mike and Marcus about their tracks,plans and this and that and that's what i'am looking for,
the session with the whole interview...

That is the whole interview. On the day when they talked to Peel they only performed XYZ. The other 3 tracks were recorded in the BBC studio and broadcast at a later date when Mike & Marcus weren't around.

Boqurant
That is the whole interview. On the day when they talked to Peel they only performed XYZ. The other 3 tracks were recorded in the BBC studio and broadcast at a later date when Mike & Marcus weren't around.

Actually i think there's a lot more material than people know. Look at this link for example:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio1/johnpeel/ar ... sofcanada/

"Roygbiv" and "In A Beautiful Place Out In The Country" are not the CD-Recordings, i guess they are part of those BBC /Maida Vail Sessions but have never been broadcasted (Or maybe they have!) .Listen to the 30sec bits of these tracks! I'd really like to get these recordings in complete...!!!

(Somebody has to hack the BBC-Archive and pull it out... 8))

Posts Quantity
esky wrote:

Actually i think there's a lot more material than people know. Look at this link for example:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio1/johnpeel/ar ... sofcanada/

"Roygbiv" and "In A Beautiful Place Out In The Country" are not the CD-Recordings, i guess they are part of those BBC /Maida Vail Sessions but have never been broadcasted (Or maybe they have!) .Listen to the 30sec bits of these tracks! I'd really like to get these recordings in complete...!!!

(Somebody has to hack the BBC-Archive and pull it out... 8))

That's just a list of tracks that got into the Festive 50 - they're nothing to do with the Peel Session. The Festive 50 was a chart compiled at the end of the year from listeners' votes. The Peel Session consists of the 3 tracks available on the 'Peel Sessions' CD plus XYZ. There are no other versions. I know this for definite because I used to listen to John Peel all the time - I never missed a programme.

Boqurant
Ok,i see, you know, i'm not a John Peel listener at all.
But where do these different versions of the named tracks come from...? To my ears they sound quite similar
to the released tracks (a little louder drums, more mono signals in the mix). What do you think,deadfly ?

Posts Quantity
I've just been listening to those mp3's on headphones and I think I was wrong! The difference in bass etc is probably caused by it being recorded from the radio and then encoded to mp3, but the arrangement at the end of Happy Cycling is definitely different from the CD version - there isn't any backmasking on this version. I've no idea why it would be different. I've actually got a tape of Happy Cycling that I recorded when the Peel session was broadcast and it's the same as the one posted above. I'll post my version in a bit because the sound quality might be slightly better.

Sherbet Head
I have the version of XYZ with Marcus and Mike talking to John Peel, got it from someone on here, but it would be nice to hear the whole show, are you saying they only talked once the bit before XYZ? Surely thats not JP style, anyway is there a WHOLE version of the show??

Telepath
SallyBear wrote:I have the version of XYZ with Marcus and Mike talking to John Peel, got it from someone on here, but it would be nice to hear the whole show, are you saying they only talked once the bit before XYZ? Surely thats not JP style, anyway is there a WHOLE version of the show??

Exacly...I really would like to hear the full version

Posts Quantity
SallyBear wrote:I have the version of XYZ with Marcus and Mike talking to John Peel, got it from someone on here, but it would be nice to hear the whole show, are you saying they only talked once the bit before XYZ?

I don't even have that one. Could anyone upload it? I want to hear what M&M sound like :D

Dayvan Cowboy
the speak a secret language that is really hard to understand...i think its all in reverse...

Sherbet Head
Lawrence wrote:
SallyBear wrote:I have the version of XYZ with Marcus and Mike talking to John Peel, got it from someone on here, but it would be nice to hear the whole show, are you saying they only talked once the bit before XYZ?

I don't even have that one. Could anyone upload it? I want to hear what M&M sound like :D

Here dude, enjoy. :P

http://www.yousendit.com/transfer.php?a ... FC5203A7A0

Sherbet Head
When was the Peel Session? On the BOC website it says June 16th 1998 but on discogs it says July 21st 1998.
hello.

Dayvan Cowboy
"Now based in the Pentland Hills, Scotland where they apparently live and record in a refurbished nuclear bunker,"

?nuclear bunker? :?

Boqurant
Cupz wrote...:
Exacly...I really would like to hear the full version

That's what i'm saying all the time! And it's obvious that there is more material recorded at Maida Vail than the released or the broadcasted tracks. But how to get a hand on the BBC Archive? That's a bit difficult... :roll:

Posts Quantity
There seems to be a lot of confusion about this interview so I'll try to explain it a bit better.

Peel Sessions normally consisted of four tracks which were recorded in advance in the BBC recording studio and broadcast at a later date when the band were not present. Sometimes bands played live on the programme, but they were not referred to as Peel Sessions. The BoC session was unusual because they were in the BBC recording studio recording their session at the same time as the Peel programme was on air. This meant that they could have a live link-up with BoC in the recording studio, and that's when the interview took place. They played XYZ live on the programme at that time (16-6-98 ), but that was the only track they played and the mp3 of XYZ with the interview really is the whole thing. The complete Peel Session was broadcast on 21-7-98 with all 4 tracks, but the band were not present and there was no interview.

In case you're wondering, I know all this because I was listening to the programmes on 16-6-98 and 21-7-98. I recorded Happy Cycling while I was listening on 21-7-98. It matches the version posted previously in this thread, but the sound quality is better, so here it is :-

http://www.yousendit.com/transfer.php?a ... EE479F8FB2

Unfortunately I didn't record the rest of the session because I wasn't a big BoC fan at the time, in fact this is the track that got me into them.

The big mystery for me is why this verion of Happy Cycling is different from the on on the Peel Session CD. Maybe they recorded a few different takes? Can anybody else shed any light on this?

Sherbet Head
Another thing. If you go to that link on the BBC site with the tracklisting it says -

Happy Cycling (Changed From Bad Day)

What does that mean? Is Bad Day a track that was recorded but not broadcast? Or is that the full title of Happy Cycling?

Here's the direct link
http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio1/johnpeel/sessions/1990s/1998/Jun16boardsofcanada/

Friendly Stranger
niknak wrote:Another thing. If you go to that link on the BBC site with the tracklisting it says -

Happy Cycling (Changed From Bad Day)

What does that mean? Is Bad Day a track that was recorded but not broadcast? Or is that the full title of Happy Cycling?

Here's the direct link
http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio1/johnpeel/sessions/1990s/1998/Jun16boardsofcanada/

I am quite positive that the band gave Peel the info, that Happy Cycling had originally being called Bad Day (as well as how to pronounce XYZ). The info was added to the side for info sake, not more not less.

Boqurant
anyone care to refresh those yousendit links? I'd like to hear the different version of Happy Cycling.

Boqurant
Cupz wrote:I have XYZ with someone asking what there favourit letter is(M...apperently). How can I listen the full interview?

Someone?
That's not just anyone, you know.

Blimey...

Telepath
Jack.GG wrote:
Cupz wrote:I have XYZ with someone asking what there favourit letter is(M...apperently). How can I listen the full interview?

Someone?
That's not just anyone, you know.

Blimey...

Your avatar say`s enough :lol:

PreviousNext

Return to Boards of Canada