Reach for the Dead - Sheet Music

Everything related to our favorite Scottish duo.

Moderators: mdg, Mexicola, 2020k, Fredd-E, Aesthetics

Boqurant
I've transcribed "Reach for the Dead" so you can all enjoy playing on the piano / guitar / whatever.

Enjoy.

Quick analysis. Clearly part of the vibe of this song comes from how slow the chords move - they're so minimal yet powerful and last 12 bars in all, and I just love that change from Bmajor to F minor.

http://bit.ly/12zkS0g

Last edited by donacidae on Thu May 23, 2013 10:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Posts Quantity
donacidae wrote:I've transcribed "Reach for the Dead" so you can all enjoy playing on the piano / guitar / whatever.

Enjoy.

Quick analysis. Clearly part of the vibe of this song comes from how slow the chords move - they're so minimal yet powerful and last 12 bars in all, and I just love that change from Bmajor to F minor.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/49683622/Reach%20for%20the%20Dead.pdf

Wow! Thank you very much!

Dayvan Cowboy
Kudos! :)
The preparation for a dive is always a tense time.

Sherbet Head
Cheers! I wonder if my neighbors are annoyed yet that I've been playing this on the xylophone for an hour. ::dog puts on shades::
All of old. Nothing else ever. Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

Dayvan Cowboy
rainier wrote:Cheers! I wonder if my neighbors are annoyed yet that I've been playing this on the xylophone for an hour. ::dog puts on shades::

I want a xylophone!! So cool, jealous :P

Eagle Minded
cool, nice work on that arpeggio bit. did you use sibelius?

Sherbet Head
harpoon dodger wrote:
rainier wrote:Cheers! I wonder if my neighbors are annoyed yet that I've been playing this on the xylophone for an hour. ::dog puts on shades::

I'm only borrowing it from a friend. I really really wish I could keep it though. He has all the coolest instruments.
All of old. Nothing else ever. Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

Dayvan Cowboy
rainier wrote:
harpoon dodger wrote:

I'm only borrowing it from a friend. I really really wish I could keep it though. He has all the coolest instruments.

Right on! At least you know someone with one, that's always a good thing..I love the uncommon cool instruments too :wink:

Eagle Minded
Yay! I'm gonna learn it right away

Posts Quantity
if only i knew how to read sheet music :'(

Dayvan Cowboy
rainier wrote:I've been playing this on the xylophone for an hour

Ha, I've been playing (trying to anyway) it on my Glockenspiel.

Sherbet Head
harpoon dodger wrote:Right on! At least you know someone with one, that's always a good thing..I love the uncommon cool instruments too :wink:

Yeah I like a lot of uncommon instruments too. You can get a lot of folk instruments for not very much money. I would really like to get a kalimba. You can make simple ones pretty easily, but I want a fancy one like that.

Dayvan Cowboy
rainier wrote:
harpoon dodger wrote:Right on! At least you know someone with one, that's always a good thing..I love the uncommon cool instruments too :wink:

Yeah I like a lot of uncommon instruments too. You can get a lot of folk instruments for not very much money. I would really like to get a kalimba. You can make simple ones pretty easily, but I want a fancy one like that.

The kalimba is a neat one indeed, I've played around with one a few times! Making one would def be a fun project. I just got a ukelele for my birthday this week, and have barely played more than 13 notes on it haha..I'm thinking today will be the day to properly break it in 8)

Dayvan Cowboy
That F diminished chord gets me everytime. Profound!

edit: I guess the diminished part is something assumed. I don't actually hear a B being played, but the chord before is a B Major so it leads into a diminished. It's very solemn, especially the movement to the tonic. It sounds like hope being obliterated, but then that B Maj chord comes again and the hope is restored.

Sherbet Head
WeHadNormality wrote:
rainier wrote:I've been playing this on the xylophone for an hour

Ha, I've been playing (trying to anyway) it on my Glockenspiel.

I wish you were my neighbor or something, the part at 3:26 demands another mallet instrument to drop in. Ideally I hear it on marimba and glockenspiel.

Friendly Stranger
Hi! I know this is an old thread, but I've recently gotten into synthesizers and I've been working on trying to figure out the chords to this song. The dropbox link isn't working anymore, does anybody still have the transcription?

Thanks!

Dayvan Cowboy
Synthestesia wrote:That F diminished chord gets me everytime. Profound!

edit: I guess the diminished part is something assumed. I don't actually hear a B being played, but the chord before is a B Major so it leads into a diminished. It's very solemn, especially the movement to the tonic. It sounds like hope being obliterated, but then that B Maj chord comes again and the hope is restored.

perfectly deconstructed definition

Sherbet Head
link is dead now
*farts*

idk

New Seed
I'd be really interested to listen to any covers the boc community comes up with.
my god, it's full of stars

Next

Return to Boards of Canada