May 27th - 17:00 PDT

Everything related to our favorite Scottish duo.

Moderators: mdg, Mexicola, 2020k, Fredd-E, Aesthetics

User avatar
Friendly Stranger
Status: Offline
Posts: 11
Joined: 26 Feb 2011
Yesterday was an amazing experience and I wouldn't trade it for the world. I didn't think anything was actually going to happen until I saw this forum blowing up so I jumped into the car at 3pm and hauled some serious ass to the middle of the desert. I made it at 4:59 pm.

I know most of you who attended think the album is truly an exceptional piece of work and while I tend to agree, I don't think it will go down as their defining piece of work.

I jumped on the BoC bandwagon when Music Has the Right to Children was released. And as much as I love everything they put out, Trans Canada Highway takes the cake. I know I know, its not even a full length, but memories aside I think this small EP had the biggest impact on me.

Anyway, back to the point. I think TH is truly a special album, I dont think it eclipses any full length that they have released to date, including Campfire Headphase. I know many of you write that album off and I understand why, but I find it very engaging and rather refreshing when compared to some of their heavier material. TH flows between dark and light. It tromps you through the depths of tense melancholy and then lifts you to a comforting warm embrace. The album flows like any of their other major releases, with ample droning interjections that relay you to the next chapter. Its so familiar, but seemingly new. It never fails to intrigue.

TH is a solid mix between Geogaddi and Music Has the Right to Children. There are a couple of gems that really shine and then there are a few others (as someone else mentioned) that take some getting used to. For those of you absolutely aching to hear the new album, I really believe its worth waiting for. Each song is extremely complex and I highly doubt low quality recordings would be able to pick up on the nuance each song offers. Yes, you'll at least know what the damn thing sounds like, but would it be worth it? Was waiting for so many years worth taking a peak at low quality recordings?

Half of me hopes no one uploads the full set and the other half of me wishes I was "that" guy who saved the day for all of those who don't live in SoCal.

So until June 10th comes, I will be checking this forum regularly to see which one of you makes the first move for sharing the other tunes. Am I going to judge you? Probably, but I totally know why you'd do it :)

User avatar
New Seed
Status: Offline
Posts: 2
Joined: 29 May 2013
Location: Sierra Madre, California
I made it out to Lake Dolores yesterday too (this is actually my first post here). I ran across Tonx's twitter postings and got there just minutes before the "please only record the first three songs." Had a great chill time, the scenery/weather/music/audience were spot on. There's some pictures and a brief video on my blog.

I'm a relatively recent BoC fan, but I'm loving the whole Numbers Station/Crypto scavenger hunt in the album run up.

User avatar
New Seed
Status: Offline
Posts: 2
Joined: 29 May 2013
Location: Sierra Madre, California
Image

Image

User avatar
Eagle Minded
Status: Offline
Posts: 253
Joined: 3 Jan 2007
Location: Toronto
welcome aboard quartz!

not only am i super pumped about the new album, im also super pumped that because of this great ARG it has created a ton of hype, bringing in some fresh blood or luring those who were dissolutioned by the 7 years of radio silence back into the fold

User avatar
Eagle Minded
Status: Offline
Posts: 273
Joined: 23 May 2013
Location: Monterey, CA
i couldn't help but revel at the range of people in attendance. such good people you all are. the silence between each track was palpable and moving in itself - not from a lack of enthusiasm, but instead, to not break the flow. that was very powerful as it went unspoken. some with heads down, some with eyes closed, others dancing - each person went to their little music world however they do. it was really a community and i never felt so part of something bigger than my own thoughts. i tend to be pretty stoic but i was very moved.

since there was no live performance, after a while, i realized i was just filming an (albeit very cool) airstream and truck. the major purpose of going to get this (for those who could not be there) was somewhat compromised. i lie … i also went to have what was probably the most susbstantial music/band-related experience i have ever had - to include live shows.

i was sitting here today thinking i could keep chopping this thing up to cover up my lack of preparedness, but i realized 1) people want to hear the music 2) its not about me, and C) they already made a beautiful video … who am i kidding? so here it is - i won't be doing smooth cam filters and all razzmatazz that to make it look better. i did do some color just for atmosphere. i happened to get a few more shots near the end and came up short on footage so i had to mix in stills. ugh - sorry. so i'm just gonna put it out there - imperfections and all since everyone has been so kind, patient, and supportive of us who were shooting.

Jack is also working on his edit and i am sure it will blow the doors off later tonight. until then, to hold you over … a heartfelt thank you to Boards Of Canada for bringing us all together and everyone here at Twoism. it was a very special day and each and every one of you were a part of it no matter where you were last night, we felt it there - in the wind, in the desert, in the music.

enjoy … http://youtu.be/nkqjncwIqFM
Four legs good, two legs bad
- George Orwell

User avatar
Posts Quantity
Status: Offline
Posts: 231
Joined: 23 Apr 2013
Location: Canada
paul wrote:i couldn't help but revel at the range of people in attendance. such good people you all are. the silence between each track was palpable and moving in itself - not from a lack of enthusiasm, but instead, to not break the flow. that was very powerful as it went unspoken. some with heads down, some with eyes closed, others dancing - each person went to their little music world however they do. it was really a community and i never felt so part of something bigger than my own thoughts. i tend to be pretty stoic but i was very moved.

since there was no live performance, after a while, i realized i was just filming an (albeit very cool) airstream and truck. the major purpose of going to get this (for those who could not be there) was somewhat compromised. i lie … i also went to have what was probably the most susbstantial music/band-related experience i have ever had - to include live shows.

i was sitting here today thinking i could keep chopping this thing up to cover up my lack of preparedness, but i realized 1) people want to hear the music 2) its not about me, and C) they already made a beautiful video … who am i kidding? so here it is - i won't be doing smooth cam filters and all razzmatazz that to make it look better. i did do some color just for atmosphere. i happened to get a few more shots near the end and came up short on footage so i had to mix in stills. ugh - sorry. so i'm just gonna put it out there - imperfections and all since everyone has been so kind, patient, and supportive of us who were shooting.

Jack is also working on his edit and i am sure it will blow the doors off later tonight. until then, to hold you over … a heartfelt thank you to Boards Of Canada for bringing us all together and everyone here at Twoism. it was a very special day and each and every one of you were a part of it no matter where you were last night, we felt it there - in the wind, in the desert, in the music.

enjoy … http://youtu.be/nkqjncwIqFM

damn the quality is amazing. you the man

User avatar
Friendly Stranger
Status: Offline
Posts: 10
Joined: 22 May 2013
Location: Minnesota, USA
Thank you so much, the quality really is great, i can actually decipher what is happening in Gemini now. I'm afraid it's actually only the first 2 songs though, not 3.

User avatar
Boqurant
Status: Offline
Posts: 82
Joined: 11 Nov 2011
Location: Austin, Texas
Not to be ungrateful or anything but the vid only goes to RFTD, which is only 2 songs. Good quality though!

User avatar
Posts Quantity
Status: Offline
Posts: 231
Joined: 23 Apr 2013
Location: Canada
Reach for the Dead sounds better in this recording haha

User avatar
Eagle Minded
Status: Offline
Posts: 368
Joined: 18 Mar 2011
Location: Houston, TX, US
SPOILER ALERT:
entire album lies beyond...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3VPzcTxO2zA
Last edited by northernlite on Wed May 29, 2013 3:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Boqurant
Status: Offline
Posts: 82
Joined: 11 Nov 2011
Location: Austin, Texas
todieisfun wrote:Reach for the Dead sounds better in this recording haha


I was thinking the same thing. It adds texture.

User avatar
Boqurant
Status: Offline
Posts: 82
Joined: 11 Nov 2011
Location: Austin, Texas
northernlite wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3VPzcTxO2zA


woah you should at least spoiler alert that or something. thats the whole thing!

User avatar
Eagle Minded
Status: Offline
Posts: 368
Joined: 18 Mar 2011
Location: Houston, TX, US
Helicoid wrote:
northernlite wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3VPzcTxO2zA


woah you should at least spoiler alert that or something. thats the whole thing!


good call, edited

User avatar
Boqurant
Status: Offline
Posts: 82
Joined: 11 Nov 2011
Location: Austin, Texas
Nice. I really wanted to head Jacquard in quality and accidentally skipped ahead. Only heard a fraction of a second snippet though.

User avatar
Posts Quantity
Status: Offline
Posts: 165
Joined: 29 Apr 2013
i knew that was gonna happen but i was hoping it wouldn't :/
i'm gonna just skip this youtube

User avatar
Boqurant
Status: Offline
Posts: 82
Joined: 11 Nov 2011
Location: Austin, Texas
euue wrote:i knew that was gonna happen but i was hoping it wouldn't :/
i'm gonna just skip this youtube


Yeah I'm not listening past Jacquard.

User avatar
Boqurant
Status: Offline
Posts: 96
Joined: 28 Nov 2012
Location: here
euue wrote:i knew that was gonna happen but i was hoping it wouldn't :/
i'm gonna just skip this youtube


yeah. sort of a bummer; i think it might make future events like this more unlikely. alas.

User avatar
Dayvan Cowboy
Status: Offline
Posts: 1106
Joined: 9 Feb 2012
Location: Canadian trapped in USA
northernlite wrote:
Helicoid wrote:
northernlite wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3VPzcTxO2zA


woah you should at least spoiler alert that or something. thats the whole thing!


good call, edited


as cool as that is...im holding off.
i sampled the first three tracks posted by tonx only briefly....and that was enough.
gonna wait for the real.

thanks for the link though.

User avatar
Posts Quantity
Status: Offline
Posts: 231
Joined: 23 Apr 2013
Location: Canada
it's a sad sad day at Blake Holsey High

User avatar
Boqurant
Status: Offline
Posts: 82
Joined: 11 Nov 2011
Location: Austin, Texas
It was sooo F****** hard to close that window! I managed to though.

PreviousNext

Return to Boards of Canada

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests