May 27th - 17:00 PDT

Everything related to our favorite Scottish duo.

Moderators: mdg, Mexicola, 2020k, Fredd-E, Aesthetics

Dayvan Cowboy
Completely off topic here but I was listening to this and SpaceCase's avatar was it time with the music. It really made me laugh. :D

Posts Quantity
SpaceCase wrote:I did some "flying" around yermo, trying to see if i could spot the areas Reach for the Dead was filmed lol: http://i.imgur.com/vjoeyO4.jpg

flight simulator. nice. i was really into that for a while....but my computer was always too slow to run it smoothly.....

Eagle Minded
I have to say.. these first 3 tracks are bloody fantastic (re: Paul's audio)
They go together perfectly.

Posts Quantity
I'm sure this has been mentioned in here, but I haven't seen it. Pardon if it already has:

https://www.facebook.com/lakedoloresmovie
Last edited by Group Hex on Fri May 31, 2013 5:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

Posts Quantity
Group Hex wrote:I'm sure this has been mentioned in here, but I haven't seen it. Pardon is it already has:

https://www.facebook.com/lakedoloresmovie

wow nice find

Eagle Minded
Betterthanyourkids wrote:Superb audio quality! Everything is so much clearer! Thanks so much, everyone at Twoism loves you! :D

Group Hex wrote:Fantastic. Thanks for the hard work! I know it takes a lot, and I hope you were able to soak it all in simultaneously.

Also, every time I spot myself I'm in a different area. I just couldn't sit still!

audiotrack wrote:I have to say.. these first 3 tracks are bloody fantastic (re: Paul's audio)
They go together perfectly.

thank you all kindly ... its a pure pleasure to simply be able to contribute.
Four legs good, two legs bad
- George Orwell

Eagle Minded
My video from the listening party during White Cyclosa.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=puKo4n2v ... e=youtu.be

Posts Quantity
Synthetrix wrote:My video from the listening party during White Cyclosa.

Thanks for uploading! I love seeing all the different vantage points; each one with a different sound quality, perspective, and feeling. I think everyone that recorded was either right next to or behind us because I haven't seen myself in one of these yet.

Friendly Stranger

Awesome, thanks for uploading it! I loved seeing the guy in black who was standing in the right of your frame - he seemed SO into it, in the best way.

Eagle Minded
rolandspaceecho wrote:

Awesome, thanks for uploading it! I loved seeing the guy in black who was standing in the right of your frame - he seemed SO into it, in the best way.

yes! i ended up going to stand in the back for a minute. most were sitting, some were lying on their backs - but this guy ... this one guy standing alone in the crowd. he was special! he was limber, shakin' it out, groovin' - all trance-like. a pure pleasure to watch him completely get taken away by the music.

i thought at any moment he was going to do a series of backward roundhouses. it really was something to see how each individual went to their special music listening space. this guy was no exception.
- George Orwell

Posts Quantity
paul wrote:
rolandspaceecho wrote:

yes! i ended up going to stand in the back for a minute. most were sitting, some were lying on their backs - but this guy ... this one guy standing alone in the crowd. he was special! he was limber, shakin' it out, groovin' - all trance-like. a pure pleasure to watch him completely get taken away by the music.

i thought at any moment he was going to do a series of backward roundhouses. it really was something to see how each individual went to their special music listening space. this guy was no exception.

I remember him, he was in a zone. Kinda yoga-esque moves.

Dayvan Cowboy
Wow, after just now finally caving and listening to the cylcosa video, i wish i had been around for the listening party. If i weren't on vacation, i definitely would have made it down.

I'm loving everything I've heard of this album so far. It really is speaking to me. Can't wait for the moment i can play the entire record.

Is this real life?

Eagle Minded
zeitgeist wrote:Wow, after just now finally caving and listening to the cylcosa video, i wish i had been around for the listening party. If i weren't on vacation, i definitely would have made it down.

I'm loving everything I've heard of this album so far. It really is speaking to me. Can't wait for the moment i can play the entire record.

Is this real life?

you have no idea what you are in store for ... stuck in a blissful loop here after The Day In The Desert.
this is indeed real and was quite worth the wait.

i'll say it again/please quote me/100% not fucking around: best album ever.
- George Orwell

Boqurant
paul wrote:i'll say it again/please quote me/100% not fucking around: best album ever.

qft!!

paul wrote:right on kennychiwa147 ... i liked your initial thoughts - spot on!
i was shooting to your right on the tripod. i looked over my shoulder often and your crew was putting out a seriously nice vibe. glad to have shared this day with you guys.

cheers man!! the feeling is so mutual!!

Friendly Stranger
Group Hex wrote:
paul wrote:
rolandspaceecho wrote:

It took me a while to notice him because I was sort of wandering around looking at and photographing the scenery and people, etc. But when I did notice him, it made me so happy.

You totally nailed it - it was awesome to watch the ways people were taking it in. Some people had their heads nodding, a couple of us were pacing/wandering around (at one point the guy in the Pink Floyd shirt said "intense!" to me and I grinned). After a while I was standing totally still, but I think it's just because I was kind of transfixed...

Boqurant
Thought I'd add my experience on 5/27/13 to the rest.

After following along voraciously during the RSD incident and up through the album reveal I sort of stepped back, anticipating nothing more than a 40 day wait for the album to be released.

When I heard about Tokyo, then the boston thing, and the sattelite image tweet, I knew I had to be there. I have long wanted to go explore Lake Dolores Waterpark, I've seen it many times driving on I15 and it will hold a special place in my heart now that I not only got to explore it, but got to explore it during a special Boards of Canada event with so many amazing people.

I had a half day at work, and I got home right around the time Tonx tweeted that he had to be discrete, and "!". It was the "!" that really lit a fire under me and by 2pm Lauren and I were off. Upon arriving around 4, We noted a small number of cars in the parking lot, which we parked next to and proceeded to head towards a large group of people who seemed to be beginning to walk into the park. No one knew what was going on, or what we were supposed to do. I asked if anyone knew where tonx was, and was told something about "the highest tower", which I identified and advanced towards. At the base of the tower I found Tonx - i think still google hangout-ing at that point. In finding him I was also told that at 5pm we were to be in front of a vintage metal camper.

We explored a bit, climbing the observation tower and shooting a few snippets of footage. I couldn't think of anything but the camper though and soon had to go set up my tripod and camera. Around that time more people were gathering in front of the trailer as well including Paul whom I am very happy to have met. Around that time Josh from Warp (the announcer heard before and after the album) came over and asked Paul (and I) if we would only record 3 tracks. He explained that the band had requested no high quality recordings of any kind but that since "we came a long way" and brought our gear that he would allow us to shoot for the first 3. I was happy to oblige. Then it dawned on me... First three. We were going to hear the whole album. I pulled out my phone and texted my friend "WHOLE ALBUM, AWWW SHIT, Cant record after first three tracks, No live performance but its a listening party, AHHHHHH", which I think he then posted on here.

5pm came and went and people were continuing to show up. The lincolnshire poacher came over and we chatted a bit - I can't believe I got to meet someone that was at Redmoon and have the first listen to TH with them. Phenomenal. Eventually around 5:30 Josh came on the PA, thanked everyone for coming out, and said that it was the wish of the band that there be no recording after the first 3 tracks. and without further ado, Tomorrows Harvest by Boards of Canada.

Below I am going to detail my thoughts on the album, so if you're trying to stay spoiler free then maybe don't read it.

As much as I love the first three tracks, the album really starts cooking with gas starting at Jacquard Causeway.

Gemini

Reach for the Dead

White Cyclosa

Wispy nostalgic tones with plucky synth layers woven around it. Dissonance makes a larger and larger appearance on the track as it progresses. Fades out slowly. A great vignette-type track pacing the mood between RFTD and Jacquard.

Jacquard Causeway

Lurching drums and a lamenting melody give the feeling of wandering through a wasteland. a little like watching civilization be build up and destroyed again and again with zero progress. Not a happy track. Heavily layered and very beautiful.

Telepath

Starts with smooth boc tones and a computerized voice reading numbers. "Testing 1. 2. 3. 4. 5. 6. 7..." if I remember correctly. Unmistakable BOC. The voice reading numbers distorts intermittently as the music weaves around it. Feels like a numbers station transmission. What are our instructions?

Cold Earth

Errie intro with a huge bass throb that comes in. Dark and Epic. If Telepath is a numbers station transmission then Cold Earth is the plan or events set into motion by that transmission. This song will make you rock to the music. I remember seeing people rocking, bobbing their heads, etc. There's a brief grunty highly distorted and cut off childs voice that comes in every few beats for a fraction of a beat that is too beautiful for words. This was one of the many times during the listening party i was overwhelmed with emotion. My audio of this track has one of the two children that were there crying a bit in the background. Perfect.

Transmisiones Ferox

didgeridoos? Layered and distorted. Mind blowing. Airs out beautifully at the end. Imputes a feeling of pursuit or hiding.

Sick Times

Utterly fucking amazing. Another groovy head bobber. Classic BOC sounds. Whole crowd was getting into this one as well.

Collapse

Scary.

Palace Posy

A emotional shift. Percussive, funky, off-beat. Stringy. Inquisitive. Godfuckingdamnit I LOVE IT. Chanty vocals that come in that I dont remember what they say but goddamnit i need to hear this track again and again and again. Earworm for sure. One of my favorites off the new album.

Split Your infinities

Wondrous. Fucking amazing. Like gazing out at a valley populated with a beautifully destructed future city.

Uritual

Dark drone with layers of sad tones on top

Nothing is real

You know when you see somethings reflection in water but the water is rippling too much to make out exactly what it is? The beginning of this track is the audio equivalent of that. Vaguely familiar, slightly upbeat. Makes me feel like I'm watching a loop of a corporate logo on broken VHS as a child. Echos of a happier past.

Sundown

Sad, lamenting tones.

New Seeds

The emotional lows in this album serve as pacing for the weary but hopeful highs. This song is a "High". More strings. Feeling of rebuilding from the ashes. Theres a lot of work to be done here. Awesome, awesome awesome. I'm trying to limit the number of times I use the words "fucking amazing" to describe this album but I can't help it, it just is.

Come to Dust

WOW. So now we're in this epic future destroyed then rebuilt shithouse and its awesome but it also sucks.

Semena Mertvykh

The track from the album reveal video. My audio of this track has the kids crying and my camera shutter clicking every 10 seconds or so. I might like my version more. We'll see when the album comes out.

End Spoilers

There was near-dead silence in between tracks, which was perfect and amazing. After the album ended though, there was around 30 seconds of solid silence before the guy from Warp came on the PA and thanked everyone for coming. Only then was there an eruption of applause. It was amazing. That brief period of silence was like a magic window for TH. It was one of the most beautiful moments of my entire life thus far. In the middle of an abandoned water park with a handful of people all simultaneously reeling from what we've just collectively witnessed. The wind gusted lightly. Josh came on the PA and thanked us all. "I just got a text from the band. They wanted me to say they love you all". The crowd "awwwws". I yelled "IT WAS FUCKING AMAZING" and got some odd looks.

A box of goodies appeared and people crowded around and grabbed posters and stickers feverishly. Once the goodies were depleted, people began going their own ways and before long the camper and sound equipment were packed up and hauled away. We stayed a bit, shot the coke sign, and wandered. I tried to talk with Josh and just generally take in the wealth of info being shared in the various conversations people were having with him. I also spoke with the property manager and found out that the waterpark is under new ownership, and that they plan on refurbishing the whole thing, putting in an RV park and generally doing away with things as they are. I am glad to have gotten the chance to explore the place in its current state.

Eventually as it began getting dark the property manager drove up in his SUV and yelled "OUT, NOW. I'M LOCKING THE GATE", which is why he got a special thanks in my video. I really appreciate that he didnt just kick us out right away and I got to explore a touch. Speaking of my video, here's a link again because I'm ridiculous and can't stop sharing it. It has Paul's HQ Audio (thanks again Paul!) http://youtu.be/t6G8gViaoVg I also shot a bit of Gemini with my phone. http://youtu.be/H7fUp32VRwA
Last edited by creativeowlet on Sat Jun 01, 2013 12:36 am, edited 2 times in total.
Boards of Canada - Tomorrows Harvest - Lake Dolores Listening Party - 5/27/2013 HQ AUDIO http://youtu.be/t6G8gViaoVg

Posts Quantity
creativeowlet wrote:Thought I'd add my experience on 5/27/13 to the rest.

After following along voraciously during the RSD incident and up through the album reveal I sort of stepped back, anticipating nothing more than a 40 day wait for the album to be released.

When I heard about Tokyo, then the boston thing, and the sattelite image tweet, I knew I had to be there. I have long wanted to go explore Lake Dolores Waterpark, I've seen it many times driving on I15 and it will hold a special place in my heart now that I not only got to explore it, but got to explore it during a special Boards of Canada event with so many amazing people.

I had a half day at work, and I got home right around the time Tonx tweeted that he had to be discrete, and "!". It was the "!" that really lit a fire under me and by 2pm Lauren and I were off. Upon arriving around 4, We noted a small number of cars in the parking lot, which we parked next to and proceeded to head towards a large group of people who seemed to be beginning to walk into the park. No one knew what was going on, or what we were supposed to do. I asked if anyone knew where tonx was, and was told something about "the highest tower", which I identified and advanced towards. At the base of the tower I found Tonx - i think still google hangout-ing at that point. In finding him I was also told that at 5pm we were to be in front of a vintage metal camper.

We explored a bit, climbing the observation tower and shooting a few snippets of footage. I couldn't think of anything but the camper though and soon had to go set up my tripod and camera. Around that time more people were gathering in front of the trailer as well including Paul whom I am very happy to have met. Around that time Josh from Warp (the announcer heard before and after the album) came over and asked Paul (and I) if we would only record 3 tracks. He explained that the band had requested no high quality recordings of any kind but that since "we came a long way" and brought our gear that he would allow us to shoot for the first 3. I was happy to oblige. Then it dawned on me... First three. We were going to hear the whole album. I pulled out my phone and texted my friend "WHOLE ALBUM, AWWW SHIT, Cant record after first three tracks, No live performance but its a listening party, AHHHHHH", which I think he then posted on here.

5pm came and went and people were continuing to show up. The lincolnshire poacher came over and we chatted a bit - I can't believe I got to meet someone that was at Redmoon and have the first listen to TH with them. Phenomenal. Eventually around 5:30 Josh came on the PA, thanked everyone for coming out, and said that it was the wish of the band that there be no recording after the first 3 tracks. and without further ado, Tomorrows Harvest by Boards of Canada.

Below I am going to detail my thoughts on the album, so if you're trying to stay spoiler free then maybe don't read it.

As much as I love the first three tracks, the album really starts cooking with gas starting at Jacquard Causeway.

Gemini

Reach for the Dead

White Cyclosa

Wispy nostalgic tones with plucky synth layers woven around it. Dissonance makes a larger and larger appearance on the track as it progresses. Fades out slowly. A great vignette-type track pacing the mood between RFTD and Jacquard.

Jacquard Causeway

Lurching drums and a lamenting melody give the feeling of wandering through a wasteland. a little like watching civilization be build up and destroyed again and again with zero progress. Not a happy track. Heavily layered and very beautiful.

Telepath

Starts with smooth boc tones and a computerized voice reading numbers. "Testing 1. 2. 3. 4. 5. 6. 7..." if I remember correctly. Unmistakable BOC. The voice reading numbers distorts intermittently as the music weaves around it. Feels like a numbers station transmission. What are our instructions?

Cold Earth

Errie intro with a huge bass throb that comes in. Dark and Epic. If Telepath is a numbers station transmission then Cold Earth is the plan or events set into motion by that transmission. This song will make you rock to the music. I remember seeing people rocking, bobbing their heads, etc. There's a brief grunty highly distorted and cut off childs voice that comes in every few beats for a fraction of a beat that is too beautiful for words. This was one of the many times during the listening party i was overwhelmed with emotion. My audio of this track has one of the two children that were there crying a bit in the background. Perfect.

Transmisiones Ferox

didgeridoos? Layered and distorted. Mind blowing. Airs out beautifully at the end. Imputes a feeling of pursuit or hiding.

Sick Times

Utterly fucking amazing. Another groovy head bobber. Classic BOC sounds. Whole crowd was getting into this one as well.

Collapse

Scary.

Palace Posy

A emotional shift. Percussive, funky, off-beat. Stringy. Inquisitive. Godfuckingdamnit I LOVE IT. Chanty vocals that come in that I dont remember what they say but goddamnit i need to hear this track again and again and again. Earworm for sure. One of my favorites off the new album.

Split Your infinities

Wondrous. Fucking amazing. Like gazing out at a valley populated with a beautifully destructed future city.

Uritual

Dark drone with layers of sad tones on top

Nothing is real

You know when you see somethings reflection in water but the water is rippling too much to make out exactly what it is? The beginning of this track is the audio equivalent of that. Vaguely familiar, slightly upbeat. Makes me feel like I'm watching a loop of a corporate logo on broken VHS as a child. Echos of a happier past.

Sundown

Sad, lamenting tones.

New Seeds

The emotional lows in this album serve as pacing for the weary but hopeful highs. This song is a "High". More strings. Feeling of rebuilding from the ashes. Theres a lot of work to be done here. Awesome, awesome awesome. I'm trying to limit the number of times I use the words "fucking amazing" to describe this album but I can't help it, it just is.

Come to Dust

WOW. So now we're in this epic future destroyed then rebuilt shithouse and its awesome but it also sucks.

Semena Mertvykh

The track from the album reveal video. My audio of this track has the kids crying and my camera shutter clicking every 10 seconds or so. I might like my version more. We'll see when the album comes out.

End Spoilers

There was near-dead silence in between tracks, which was perfect and amazing. After the album ended though, there was around 30 seconds of solid silence before the guy from Warp came on the PA and thanked everyone for coming. Only then was there an eruption of applause. It was amazing. That brief period of silence was like a magic window for TH. It was one of the most beautiful moments of my entire life thus far. In the middle of an abandoned water park with a handful of people all simultaneously reeling from what we've just collectively witnessed. The wind gusted lightly. Josh came on the PA and thanked us all. "I just got a text from the band. They wanted me to say they love you all". The crowd "awwwws". I yelled "IT WAS FUCKING AMAZING" and got some odd looks.

A box of goodies appeared and people crowded around and grabbed posters and stickers feverishly. Once the goodies were depleted, people began going their own ways and before long the camper and sound equipment were packed up and hauled away. We stayed a bit, shot the coke sign, and wandered. I tried to talk with Josh and just generally take in the wealth of info being shared in the various conversations people were having with him. I also spoke with the property manager and found out that the waterpark is under new ownership, and that they plan on refurbishing the whole thing, putting in an RV park and generally doing away with things as they are. I am glad to have gotten the chance to explore the place in its current state.

Eventually as it began getting dark the property manager drove up in his SUV and yelled "OUT, NOW. I'M LOCKING THE GATE", which is why he got a special thanks in my video. I really appreciate that he didnt just kick us out right away and I got to explore a touch. Speaking of my video, here's a link again because I'm ridiculous and can't stop sharing it. It has Paul's HQ Audio (thanks again Paul!) http://youtu.be/t6G8gViaoVg I also shot a bit of Gemini with you phone. http://youtu.be/H7fUp32VRwA

Great post, thanks a million for sharing this, and even though I haven't heard the whole album yet, your descriptions of each track have me very excited to hear the stream on Monday night.

Nice one!

Site Admin
Thanks for the detailed description creativeowlet! Skipped the song description part though.
Life is a Frequency

Sherbet Head
Aesthetics wrote:Thanks for the detailed description creativeowlet! Skipped the song description part though.

This and stopped listening to the 3 song preview just to give it a rest. Monday.... 8)

Boqurant
rolandspaceecho wrote:
Group Hex wrote:
paul wrote:
rolandspaceecho wrote:

It took me a while to notice him because I was sort of wandering around looking at and photographing the scenery and people, etc. But when I did notice him, it made me so happy.

You totally nailed it - it was awesome to watch the ways people were taking it in. Some people had their heads nodding, a couple of us were pacing/wandering around (at one point the guy in the Pink Floyd shirt said "intense!" to me and I grinned). After a while I was standing totally still, but I think it's just because I was kind of transfixed...

The gentleman you're talking about was the only other person left there when the property manager drove up and told us 3 he was locking the gate. Found him at the coke sign, he was playing "under the coke sign" on a loop and I thanked him for it. He took a shot of me on top of the coke sign from inside it... damn I'd love to see that pic. I'm 99% sure this is the instagram he set up after the fact, if anyone cares. http://instagram.com/roygbivgasoline

Aesthetics wrote:Thanks for the detailed description creativeowlet! Skipped the song description part though.

No problemo. I'm so honored I got to be there. I'm more than happy to share as much as I can.
Last edited by creativeowlet on Sat Jun 01, 2013 12:36 am, edited 2 times in total.
Boards of Canada - Tomorrows Harvest - Lake Dolores Listening Party - 5/27/2013 HQ AUDIO http://youtu.be/t6G8gViaoVg

PreviousNext

Return to Boards of Canada