Name 3 Moments on Tomorrow's Harvest that stand out to you.

Everything related to our favorite Scottish duo.

Moderators: mdg, Mexicola, 2020k, Fredd-E, Aesthetics

Sherbet Head
Right after the intro bit in cold earth where it's kind of sparse and one synth stops and sustains a note and another one picks up where it left off.
All of old. Nothing else ever. Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

Boqurant
1. The note at exactly 4:00 of Reach for the Dead. The rest of the track feels so uplifting and soaring, but this one bit feels kind of... wrong, but in an awesome, brilliant way. Sends chills down my spine!

2. The long, drawn out 'Fiiiiiiiiiive' at 1:01 of Telepath. Also gives me chills, but in a creepy way. Awesome.

3. The last couple of minutes of Jacquard Causeway. Just incredibly beautiful. The way the seemingly messy, disjointed elements of the song build and build until the synths/strings/whatever they are come in and tie them all together into an overwhelming, dense last couple of minutes. Fantastic!

Of course, this is still very early, so more will no doubt appear for me. I can already think of another actually, the part in the second half of New Seeds when that sweet, dreamy, keyboard melody comes in. This is such an amazing album!

Sherbet Head
1. the bit in Transmisiones Ferox that sounds like something taking off around 0:10
2. 1:23-1:25 in Cold Earth
3. when the arpeggiation fades in in Collapse

i could keep going probably
*farts*

idk

Eagle Minded
1. Gemini

1. The Chopped vox samps in Palace Posey's B section

2. The first 4 chords when the drums first drop in on Come To Dust

3. Semena Mertvykh
:INDIFFERENT SPACES:
all albums [IS1-IS13] available here:
http://indifferentspaces.bandcamp.com

Eagle Minded
I'm so glad that this album was as good as it was. everyone has had some great experiences to share so far. Looknig forward to hearing more of the obscure ones now.
you don't care to hear until you listen

Friendly Stranger
The bit on Jacquard Causeway from 1:55 to 2:14 where the melody just hits a sweet spot.

1:23 on Cold Earth with that beautiful metallic effect.

All of Nothing Is Real. The melody, the beat that sounds almost unsure of itself, the dissonant high strings.... fuck me, what a song.

New Seed
zeoevil wrote:When the voices begin on Nothing is Real.
The first horn of Palace Posy.
The "Listen." in Reach for the Dead.
The first deep bass note in Cold Earth.
The signal notes at the end of New Seeds.

Is it just me or do they remind anyone else of the melody played by the alien craft on 'Close Encounters'?

Posts Quantity
that first massive kick drum on nothing is real

Eagle Minded
1. Start of Jaquard Causeway. It stands out as teh first definitive BoC sound, reminds me a bit of the synth in "In The Annexe"
2. Reach for the Dead, when the little clarinet sounding lament comes in near the end. Beautiful.

3. End of New Seeds. Just listened to it while standing outside with headphones. It's 5 a.m. right now, so the sun is just starting to rise. Looking at the clouds and beams of sun, the still dusky sky, gourgeous. Then, as the last beautiful chords melt into the RSD signal and fades slowly, I start to hear the birds chirp around me. Absolutely sublime.
member of pablo col.
https://www.pacol.bandcamp.com

Eagle Minded
amongst many, many magical moments I'm particularly taken with:
White Cyclosa: the early 80s atmosphere of watching low-budget horror on VHS in the afternoon with the curtains drawn.
Nothing Is Real: one of the most addictive, warm, and genuinely uplifting riffs BOC have ever created, being especially effective fading in after Uritual.
Semena Mertvykh: Just like the end of John Carpenter's The Thing, the immediate threat appears to be over but deep paranoia remains. So desolate, and distant, and final - gorgeous :)

Dayvan Cowboy
Jacquarad Causeway, Telepath and Cold Earth all in a row. I love everything about those three tracks. The fluttering melody in Jacquarad Causeway, the voices in Telepath and THAT SNARE followed by the quick phase at 1:24 in Cold Earth. Amazing.

New Seed
'White Cyclosa' conjures up images of a clean-up operation by extraterrestrials in the sun after a nuclear fallout.
The melody is so sad and atmospheric.

Eagle Minded
the reverbed piano bit in White Cyclosa
The middle of Jacquard Causeway (when it starts to get really interesting)
The ending of New Seeds (That tune!)

Sherbet Head
When I was listening for the first time there were several moments where I caught myself really just so happy.

1. I was getting hopeful after Telepath that something good was coming and boy did it. Cold Earth and I just sat back and thought oh good I can relax into this!

2. Palace Posey wasn't working for me at all.. and then Bam! 2:33 came and I thought oh yeah here it is.

3. New Seeds when the melody comes in Geezus

I think maybe these were the moments where maybe I was starting to feel like hmm I don't know for sure and then came the moment where I was rescued from that feeling and was so grateful.

Boqurant
Some that I like:

1) Jingle at the beginning of "Gemini", that sounds straight out of public access TV. It lets you know, "Shit is going down, you are now tuned into Boards Of Canada." :D

2) Weird one but, that extra percussion at 2:00 during "Cold Earth". At the counting part. I always look forward to this. My music terminology is probably off, it's like a brief syncopation? Maybe that's the word? (Please correct me) Don't know why I like this so much, it's just the beat uniformly chugging along at a march, then this, with the counting. No idea...

3) Semena Mertvykh in general, classic BOC, short form, creepy ambient piece.

Boqurant
Apart from everything already mentioned ^, I've been enjoying the Rosemary's Baby-esque introductory piece on Come to Dust.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RhL0ichtZjQ

Kinda like a muted choral hymn or something, it's quite spooky.

Boqurant
"9-9-9-9-9-9-9-9-9-9-9-9-9" - Transmisiones Ferox

I don't know why.

Sherbet Head
The sample in the middle of Sick Times that sounds like a woman whispering 'Thank You.' I can't describe the chills when I first heard it on the 24bit WAV. I was just nodding off a little bit into my music 'happy place' (I assume everyone has one of these, right?) and it just grabbed me and pulled me back to earth for a second. It felt like it was the boys thanking me as the listener personally, for what, I don't know, but I couldn't shake that weird connection.
"Life is a stupid, meaningless thing that has nothing to teach you." -Slavoj Zizek

Friendly Stranger
1:53-1:55 of Cold Earth
The end of New Seeds
The voices section in Nothing is Real

Eagle Minded
Amo Bishop Roden wrote:The sample in the middle of Sick Times that sounds like a woman whispering 'Thank You.' I can't describe the chills when I first heard it on the 24bit WAV. I was just nodding off a little bit into my music 'happy place' (I assume everyone has one of these, right?) and it just grabbed me and pulled me back to earth for a second. It felt like it was the boys thanking me as the listener personally, for what, I don't know, but I couldn't shake that weird connection.

beat me to it!

1) Thank You - 1:46 / Sick Times ... melts my soul. interesting how our takes differ but for me its a clip from an old film. she has resigned to some certain awful fate but is comforting the person who is trying to save her. i know this sounds batshit crazy but its what i pictured a nano second after hearing it for the first time and i cant help but go back to that thought every time now.

2) Listen - 3:23 / RFTD - i even found a video of someone on the net saying "Listen" to add to my little youtube video it meant so much to me. kind of a 'wake up ... i know this song is blowing your mind, but stay with me here!'

3) All - 0:00-4:08 / Come To Dust - the whole thing: beginning to end. i'll dispense with the superlatives on this one and let it speak for itself. another bold prediction despite some lukewarm feelings about this particular track (and some loving reviews as well) ... however, best track on the album. there i said it.
Four legs good, two legs bad
- George Orwell

PreviousNext

Return to Boards of Canada