Artwork (Tomorrow's Harvest)

Everything related to our favorite Scottish duo.

Moderators: mdg, Mexicola, 2020k, Fredd-E, Aesthetics

New Seed
A little confused as to who did the artwork for the album. Neil Krug has the single artwork listed on his site but the album artwork is purportedly by Mike and Marcus. Someone mentioned elsewhere that the Warp guy at Lake Dolores told him the brothers hadn't visited that part of the world. Do you think they just made the artwork using Krugs pics? I really hope M+M did it, as it means a lot more to me if they did... What does everyone think?

Sorry for the rambling post by the way...

Boqurant
I think all album artwork is by BoC.

New Seed
Yeah, I hope this one is. Hope they wouldnt have 'outsorced' it... I know TCH wasn't entirely by them, but Geogaddi was by PIC, who is essentially BoC.

Sherbet Head
Gotta say, I'm not liking this artwork at all. It's ok, but it's nowhere near as nice as their previous records. I even prefer Hi Scores ha. If they paid Neil Krug to design this then I am disappointed, as they usually do their own, and theirs is far superior.

New Seed
I do like it actually, just wondered who it's by...

Eagle Minded
I like it too. It's far more subtle than previous art, but like the album itself it seeps into your bloodstream slowly. I think you need to familiarise with the innersleeve/booklet pics aswell in order to appreciate the unsettling mood it inspires.
I would guess they did the sleeve themselves, as Krug's work tends to be more processed - infact more like their older album covers.

Sherbet Head
its hard to know with this, what appears to be almost random selection of photos (though i'm sure they thought about what they were selecting) of the inner sleeve shots, are very very like images that would come under "environmental concerns stock photos" i've had a few of these from late 80s, early to mid 90s over the years working as a designer. unless one did a reverse google image search it might show up something. they remind of ABPOITC slides, they appear random, don't hold anything amazing, not perfectly composed crops, just more to do with mood. some don't come under "environmental concerns stock photos", theres a few images there with 'people'.

i don't mind it, a little overdone maybe i.e so many curved edge slides (18?) but i like how they're gridded out, theres some variation there.

i love the back cover though, thats the King for me. not mad on the front cover, granted it has the 80s film vibe thing but...

film directing/editing has many tried and tested tricks. we all have experienced the 'drama, suspense etc' when the enemy/villain arrives on the scene using the shot of 'feet first'. that image of the 'military boot' suggests this to me.
Last edited by thepastinsidepressant on Sat Jun 08, 2013 3:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sherbet Head
I agree, the back cover is nice alright. But the inner sleeves and front cover are a disappointment to me. Just seems lazy to be honest.

EDIT: I mean compare it to their other albums, and even some of the EPs (IABPOITC )

Sherbet Head
yea i'm just looking here now and... theres what 3 images of people or human shapes, amongst ALL that landscape remaining and that 'boot' image is the authority :lol:

Dayvan Cowboy
Love the artwork. There are some really intriguing images in there and I was quite surprised to see the army boot and other people.

Did anyone notice the wheel of the 4x4 in the snow was the same pic as BoC's youtube background from a while back?

Eagle Minded
In the booklet we have pictures with A, G, and 822. I Googled AG 822 and found this
http://www.unis.no/STUDIes/Arctic_Geology/ag_822.htm. Any thoughts??
Also Googling just 822 produced this
https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... and-skills

Eagle Minded
The Tomorrow's Harvest font is the same one used on an original poster for the 1973 sci-fi film Soylent Green. Could be a modified version of Avant Gard or Quicksans Accurate Fill (ICG font)
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_v0fV15P7uQo/T ... en_6SH.jpg

Friendly Stranger
So the cover is a layering of a nuclear test and the san francisco skyline, right? They say in the interviews it's two images.

Eagle Minded
fdamb wrote:So the cover is a layering of a nuclear test and the san francisco skyline, right? They say in the interviews it's two images.

Its a picture of a skyline over mountains with a see through picture of SF from the Alameda air base.

Dayvan Cowboy
Anyone notice this new picture of them is also a double exposure like the cover? The hills and sun are another layer.

Posts Quantity

Eagle Minded
Nice image overlay of pages 6 and 7 of the booklet resulting from the paper transparency…

http://i.imgur.com/SPp8yPG.jpg
Last edited by purgruv on Tue Jun 18, 2013 3:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Eagle Minded
Found the original San Fransisco skyline photo used on the cover…

Only found it on wine seller websites. Couldnt find the original photo in the desert so I've been working on removing the city from the original 'Reserva' artwork…

Sherbet Head
purgruv wrote:Nice image overlay of pages 6 and 7 of the booklet resulting from the paper transparency…

http://i.imgur.com/SPp8yPG.jpg

are there more of these? I'd love some high-res scans of the art-card thingies

Friendly Stranger
mc10101 wrote:In the booklet we have pictures with A, G, and 822. I Googled AG 822 and found this
http://www.unis.no/STUDIes/Arctic_Geology/ag_822.htm. Any thoughts??
Also Googling just 822 produced this
https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... and-skills

A compilation of the results of a superficial Google image search...

Although not a follower of Nosnam Selrahc, he was a devoted family member.

Next

Return to Boards of Canada