I OVERFLOW MAN

Everything related to our favorite Scottish duo.

Moderators: mdg, Mexicola, 2020k, Fredd-E, Aesthetics

Dayvan Cowboy
re-phaelam-ed wrote:
TaoTapeTao wrote:
Tehlivingpencil wrote:It's on the rim of my CD too.

I think I've cottoned on to something I don't think anyone else in this thread has mentioned - it seems obvious to me now, though.

The implied apocalyptic themes.

So you're saying no one else seems to have caught on to implied apocalyptic themes? :lol:

It's an anagram for the Owl of Minerva.

but why not on the vinyl? just as easy to print it there too.

Idk? Because more people probably bought the cd? There probably isn't any real significant reason honestly.
endlessly manifold, self contained revealed, replete

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TTfU5SOlSf8

http://maketapesounds.bandcamp.com/

New Seed
TaoTapeTao wrote:

I think I've cottoned on to something I don't think anyone else in this thread has mentioned - it seems obvious to me now, though.

So you're saying no one else seems to have caught on to implied apocalyptic themes? :lol:

... Yeah, "implied" was a bad choice of words. I'd rather have said "blatant"; will fix it.
I've also cleaned up some ambiguous bits that make it seem like I was being a bit of an (insert naughty word here) to the forumgoers; I wasn't saying I didn't think people had caught on to said themes - I was saying that those themes were what lead me to the point that I reached; it was only the point I reached that I said I didn't think had been mentioned already.

Telepath
TaoTapeTao wrote:There probably isn't any real significant reason honestly.

Doesn't sound like boc at all tbh.

Dayvan Cowboy
TaoTapeTao wrote:
re-phaelam-ed wrote:
TaoTapeTao wrote:

but why not on the vinyl? just as easy to print it there too.

Idk? Because more people probably bought the cd? There probably isn't any real significant reason honestly.

those labels are made before they go to press. so it was a conscious decision to do one not the other. im pretty sure it has 0% to do with volume of pre orders. :|

Boqurant
Scyye wrote:Evil Fan Mr Woo

Apparently some crazy fan is stalking them and this is their cry for help.
So, what are we waiting for? Let's go find Mr. Woo!

thats my last name :lol:
seeya

Eagle Minded
Re: 'I OVERFLOW MAN' printed on cds but not on vinyl
It's possibly a reference to cds themselves. We know from the infamous pre-Twoism catalog that BOC like to limit releases, maybe for art's sake or maybe for the sake of resources. Vinyl versions of albums are done in small runs anyway because of limited demand and high manufacturing costs. Given the themes on TH and the boys' distaste for mass-production............. :? worth a thought...
...what subtlety?

Eagle Minded
mc10101 wrote:Re: 'I OVERFLOW MAN' printed on cds but not on vinyl
It's possibly a reference to cds themselves. We know from the infamous pre-Twoism catalog that BOC like to limit releases, maybe for art's sake or maybe for the sake of resources. Vinyl versions of albums are done in small runs anyway because of limited demand and high manufacturing costs. Given the themes on TH and the boys' distaste for mass-production............. :? worth a thought...

They're saying don't buy the CD basically…
J'aime faire des craquettes aux chiens!

Dayvan Cowboy
purgruv wrote:

and you get that from?

[note: kids of today dont even know what the 'record scratch sound' is. what makes you think theyd even consider buying vinyl?]

Dayvan Cowboy

Eagle Minded
re-phaelam-ed wrote:
purgruv wrote:

and you get that from?

[note: kids of today dont even know what the 'record scratch sound' is. what makes you think theyd even consider buying vinyl?]

I'm not saying that they are telling us not to buy the cd - you only see the message after you've bought it anyway! I just think given BOC's artistic and political stance it could be a reference to the obvious mass-marketing of cds as opposed to vinyl, OR download which ofcourse is the most resource-friendly option
...what subtlety?

Boqurant
Could purely be some kind of small, mainly unnoticeable watermark to define official release from promo ones.

Dayvan Cowboy
lukalukaluka wrote:Could purely be some kind of small, mainly unnoticeable watermark to define official release from promo ones.

You could be right jawa

Eagle Minded
Lens Larque wrote:Image

That's right love, hold your vinyl like a fucking dinner plate :D
We had a dream last night. We had the same dream.

Dayvan Cowboy
Tehlivingpencil wrote:
TaoTapeTao wrote:

... Yeah, "implied" was a bad choice of words. I'd rather have said "blatant"; will fix it.
I've also cleaned up some ambiguous bits that make it seem like I was being a bit of an (insert naughty word here) to the forumgoers; I wasn't saying I didn't think people had caught on to said themes - I was saying that those themes were what lead me to the point that I reached; it was only the point I reached that I said I didn't think had been mentioned already.

ah no worries, I just thought the wording was silly :P

but maybe you folks are right, maybe it was deliberate to print on cds and not vinyl. If so, it's way too ambiguous of a clue to me and I'll never figure it out.
endlessly manifold, self contained revealed, replete

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TTfU5SOlSf8

http://maketapesounds.bandcamp.com/

Dayvan Cowboy
23degreesdream wrote:

hahaha

Posts Quantity
zeitgeist wrote:
23degreesdream wrote:

hahaha

look at the record sleeve on the right......she's listening to julie and candy...hah!

Sherbet Head
This continues to bug me..

Posts Quantity
kid wrote:
zeitgeist wrote:
23degreesdream wrote:

hahaha

look at the record sleeve on the right......she's listening to julie and candy...hah!

It's Julie Andrews :) I actually have that album.

Posts Quantity
My thoughts (I expect this has been mooted before but this thread is 12 pages long, soz).

There is an explanation here of the meaning of the philosopher Hegel's 'Owl of Minerva' quote: http://www.askphilosophers.org/question/1579

Of note is the line referring to the question of what someone meant when they wrote: "But that’s the perpetual tragedy of life: the owl of Minerva flies at dusk."

This is said to possibly mean: "that human beings tragically come to understand things fully only when it is too late."

Given Tomorrow's Harvest's apocalyptic theme this seems to makes some sense.
Last edited by irv on Wed Oct 22, 2014 5:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Happy Cycler
Quite a nice way of looking at it...
Sagan: In order to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe.

Basinski: I wanted Cascade to become this crystalline organism like a star or a liquid crystal spaceship, a jellyfish traveling through the galaxy…

PreviousNext

Return to Boards of Canada