Gescom / BoC connection?

Everything related to our favorite Scottish duo.

Moderators: mdg, Mexicola, 2020k, Fredd-E, Aesthetics

Posts Quantity
Was listening to Gescom's Key Nell EP this afternoon, and noticed that the vocal processing sounds incredibly similar to that on Telephasic Workshop. Compare and tell me if I'm just crazy:

phpBB [media]

(around 3:40)

phpBB [media]

(around 4:20)

It's that voice that sounds like it's saying "very, very, very..." I can hear the same intonation in both tracks. Same sample?
I saw my future. I saw my past. For a few minutes it was like being alive.

Boqurant
Yeah! I definitely hear it... Could indeed be the same sample

Sherbet Head

Boqurant
Cool find. If they really are the same sample, I wonder if it was purposeful or complete coincidence. Either way it's pretty awesome.

Posts Quantity
Sean Booth of Autechre, provided them with the recording of the childs voice reading numbers from a numbers station, that they used in Gyroscope.
Who knows if they gave Autechre a sample to use or just swapped samples?
You can find the reference in BOC pages :]

Sherbet Head
noisy wrote:Sean Booth of Autechre, provided them with the recording of the childs voice reading numbers from a numbers station, that they used in Gyroscope.

But that sample is from the Conet Project. And I think it's a woman, not a child.

Hexagon Sun Official
drillkicker wrote:
noisy wrote:Sean Booth of Autechre, provided them with the recording of the childs voice reading numbers from a numbers station, that they used in Gyroscope.

But that sample is from the Conet Project. And I think it's a woman, not a child.

The guys in both bands (BOC and Autechre) were into in obscure radio recordings and shared various personal tape recordings they had made back in the 1980s - these recordings were shared before the Conet Project was even released.

Posts Quantity
mdg wrote:
drillkicker wrote:

The guys in both bands (BOC and Autechre) were into in obscure radio recordings and shared various personal tape recordings they had made back in the 1980s - these recordings were shared before the Conet Project was even released.

Thanks MDG . I did mention the BOC pages reference. which I thought was pretty clear about it. We can always rely on you to clear up any misinformation. :D

Friendly Stranger
drillkicker wrote:

I vaguely recall an interview where they said it was a child's voice.
If I'm remembering right, The interviewer was going on about how the voice sample sounded sexual, and they were like oh well it's actually a child's voice. So I found it funny

Also Keynell came out in 1996 so I highly doubt there was some trade where Sean gave the numbers recording and the brothers gave the voice sample for a song they had not released yet
But who knows (other than mdg)

Dayvan Cowboy
I dont think the Keynell sample is the same one BoC used to be honest. You cut a voice up into small enough slivers and trigger it like that the odd half-phoneme's gonna remind you of another time someone else did it but the acual voices here have a different character to them.

Sherbet Head
mdg wrote:
drillkicker wrote:

But the recording on Gyroscope is from the Conet Project.

Posts Quantity
MrMessiah wrote:I dont think the Keynell sample is the same one BoC used to be honest. You cut a voice up into small enough slivers and trigger it like that the odd half-phoneme's gonna remind you of another time someone else did it but the acual voices here have a different character to them.

Ya that's what I'm thinking. Slick track though, never heard of it. Speaking of shortwave, what the heck happened to BOCHF? Man I was loving that stuff.

Posts Quantity
The Gyroscope reference on BOC pages Does indeed say the sample is from the Conet Project.

The Autechre reference on Boc pages states Sean Booth provided the recording of a childs voice reading the numbers...

MDG is a personal friend of Mike&marcus, a Turquoise Hexagon Sun member. I believe.

Someone somewhere is getting their wires crossed :)
I always considered BOC pages to be pretty on the ball with its information. And whenever MDG gets involved its usually the real deal.

I only pointed out the link between Gescom - Autechre - Boards of Canada, did seem to involve the use of certain samples.
So who knows guys ? :)

Sherbet Head
mr3 wrote:
MrMessiah wrote:I dont think the Keynell sample is the same one BoC used to be honest. You cut a voice up into small enough slivers and trigger it like that the odd half-phoneme's gonna remind you of another time someone else did it but the acual voices here have a different character to them.

Ya that's what I'm thinking. Slick track though, never heard of it. Speaking of shortwave, what the heck happened to BOCHF? Man I was loving that stuff.

That's odd. I was listening to a lot of shortwave at the time that was going on and never heard that anywhere. I just now found out about it. I did make an album using the recordings I made from that radio, though. Shortwave frequencies have the strangest things on them, when you're lucky enough to find them. It's always quite a trip when I decide to sit down and flip through some frequencies.

Posts Quantity
akrotiri put together a thread here about it. Internet Archive's got saved broadcasts here. Half or so didn't get great reception, but man the rest...it's like their music was made for it. Might actually buy a receiver one of these days, never woulda guessed :D

Dayvan Cowboy
nope...totally different. you are getting sucked in by the similarity of the beat.

boc HAD mentioned they owed a lot to the help of two. could that be Ae. when they played a couple shows with them...perhaps a couple of techs were adopted?

anyways....two completely different tracks.

Dayvan Cowboy
I used to have a recording of gescom/s this and that records. does anyone know where the hell I can find a digital download of both of these albums? tried bleep, boomkat etc. can't find them!

Return to Boards of Canada