released my debut album from new project (previously eyesix)

Discussions related to music in general.

Moderators: Mexicola, 2020k, Fredd-E, Aesthetics

Sherbet Head
*** Hey guys, the debut 'Any Colour You Like' album is here, titled 'New Clear Dawn'***

I self released it on Bandcamp as my job just finished today and money is beyond tight, so for the first time, I've had to set a price for the album, 7euros, I hope you think that's fair, and trust me a lot of work and love went into this one, and a large number of tracks were scrapped to make it the best I possibly could. If you like what you hear, donations are so very welcome, or maybe if you can't afford it, let me know and I'll see what I can do if you help spread the word.

I hope you enjoy my new project! Lots of love!

https://eyesix66.bandcamp.com/album/new-clear-dawn

New Seed
Wow I listened to a few tracks on soundcloud and this is amazing! Jetstream has been my favorite so far!

I've been enjoying your stuff for awhile but this really is a step beyond the stuff from previous months.

Sherbet Head
awlawl wrote:Wow I listened to a few tracks on soundcloud and this is amazing! Jetstream has been my favorite so far!

I've been enjoying your stuff for awhile but this really is a step beyond the stuff from previous months.

Thanks pal, I don't normally charge for my releases, but i'm flat broke for the foreseeable future and was meant to move house today.

Sherbet Head
I've released another album, mostly tracks that didn't fit the mood of the first. Hope you guys enjoy it. https://eyesix66.bandcamp.com/album/sunrise-projector

New Seed
Just getting around to listening to the whole thing tonight. Ok now my new favorite is Up the Rabbit Hole. I really appreciate how long it is.

Oh and another release? Yes please!

Nova Scotia Robot
DaveJ wrote:I've released another album, mostly tracks that didn't fit the mood of the first. Hope you guys enjoy it. https://eyesix66.bandcamp.com/album/sunrise-projector

I wasn't in the right mood/mindset when I listened to the main release "new clear dawn", so I wasn't feeling it just then. It definitely sounded skillfully done. That, combined with it being a far less than subtle wink to our favorite band, should mean that I'll properly bond with it upon another listen when my mind is clear.

That said, I really enjoyed "Sunrise Projector" immediately. Especially Green is the Colour. The vocals really remind me of the vocals in David Lynch's - Ghost of Love. Which I absolutely love, by the way. So tomorrow, I'mma give New Clear Dawn another go.

While I'm here: A lot of people don't like when other's try to imitate the sound or aesthetic of some bands. A lot of the time they think that it's ripping them off, or that because it's not done to the same quality, that it's crap. I'm not one of those people. I definitely sympathize with imitating your favorite artists to an extent. That extent being blatant theft of copyright material, like extensive direct sampling, or something like claiming your better than said band at what they do. But I have no problem with the imitation of aesthetic. From personal experience, this is my thinking on the matter: I love the music of the band. I want to listen to more, but I've listened to all they have available. I have the ability to make music. Why the hell not try my hand at the imitation game? Heck, maybe I can sometimes add other elements that I really enjoy too.
That's not my only inspiration for making music, and I'm sure it's not yours either. After all, Any Colour You Like isn't your only project. And I must say, from the Eyesix songs I've heard, it definitely has a cool sound.
Simply put, people should have the right to make whatever music they enjoy making. If making it available to others, than I believe the extents I listed above is necessary. Because then you could be harming someone.
Pretty much all musicians have the ability to end up with, somewhat their own aesthetic. It just takes time to find it. Often, it takes a lot of time. Unfortunately, it's more than some are willing to put forth.

Damnit, I'm rambling again.

Anyways, if and when you get some negative feedback on that subject, know that you have lots who support this kind of inspiration too. People like me find you to be a talented musician. Don't forget that. And don't stop enjoying yourself.

Dayvan Cowboy
I'm with 747Music here, in that I prefer Sunrise Projector on a first listen. Ironically, considering it's a bunch of tracks that didn't fit the mood of New Clear Dawn, I think it hangs together better as an album. It also felt less obviously close to BoC in sound and aesthetic to me. I think Green Is The Colour might well be the best tune you've ever written.

The tracks I really like of yours are always the ones that sound least like BoC. Your tunes and ideas and production are strong enough to stand on their own, free of outside associations. In terms of imitation, the only track I struggle with is Airliner.

Now I know I'm going to make myself unpopular and get shot down for this but... calling the albums 'New Clear Dawn' and 'Sunrise Projector' did make me uncomfortable. We all know where those two titles have come from and, personally, I felt that stepped over the line. Similarly, the use of the "nuclear family" etching from Geogaddi. I was pleased that you changed that to a different and much better album cover. It's not like you don't have the skills or the ideas to follow your own path in both music and design. I honestly think you do yourself a disservice by so openly quoting your influences.

Sorry to be the negative feedback guy.

Sherbet Head
not at all guys, i'm here to learn and get feedback. lemme address a few of you concerns:

I like making music in BOC,Tycho/Christ vein, and sometimes like to try other stuff or combine the two. I also don't see a problem with artists paying homage to the groups that inspired them in the first place.

The nuclear family thing was a temporary solution until ** Privacy deletion - Hexagon Sun ** came through with the new design, I'll probably remove all remnants of that if people don't like it. I aso have it tatto'd, so it has a bit of meaning to me. I thought it was so subtle a part of boc that people would be okay with it (ie. it's not a rip off of the MHTRTC cover or something) I could have put new thought into the names, sunrise projector is a tycho tune, and we all know what new clear dawn is, but what's done is done now I'm afraid. And in defence of the NCD thing, it's not very much of a thing in the BOC world, just an obscure confusing site, for what we know.

The choice of tracks then, the first album flowed better with the exclusion of the tracks I had for SP. I did not have them all written, i had about half, and half complete rubbish ones that may or may not still be on Soundcloud. I made new ones, like Green is the Colour and that album felt nice and complete, and that track is one of my favourites too, so I'm glad you like it.

I am hoping to change the artwork on Sunrise Projector today, i'm unsure about it, if i can get ** Privacy deletion - Hexagon Sun ** to gimme a hand who did NCD, that would be great.

But thanks for the compliments and the feedback guys, it's honestly great to hear both. I hope I covered enough and explained the reasoning behind some choices, albeit maybe not the best choices, but we live and learn.

Thanks for taking the time to go deep into critiquing the work, eyesix is gone by the way and may return as eyesix records, just thought I'd throw that in as ACYL is not a side project. :)

Dayvan Cowboy
Thanks for adding a bit of context and explanation. Didn't know that you'd had the nuclear family tattooed. That's pretty cool. :)

I'm pleased that you took my comments the right way. I wasn't trying to be negative or having a dig when I like the great majority of the tunes a great deal. I very much like Any Colour You Like as the artist name too. Good choice.

New Seed
I had no idea that the original art was something from BOC. I was on bandcamp checking out the new release I saw that the New Clear Dawn art had changed. I liked it much better anyways, grabbed it and updated my purchased copies.

Honestly from following you on soundcloud for awhile, I have of course noticed (and appreciated) your BOC influences. I can also recognize your own styles from those tracks as well. But I really do think that these new releases are a big step forward.

BTW I don't know if bandcamp is having issues or something, but it look like your bandcamp url changed from eyesix66 to eyesixrecords.

Nova Scotia Robot
awlawl wrote:BTW I don't know if bandcamp is having issues or something, but it look like your bandcamp url changed from eyesix66 to eyesixrecords.

Let me answer that with:

DaveJ wrote:Thanks for taking the time to go deep into critiquing the work, eyesix is gone by the way and may return as eyesix records, just thought I'd throw that in as ACYL is not a side project. :)

So I'm sure it's not a bandcamp issue.

That said, maybe a mod can fix the links eariler in this thread. In the meantime, maybe you could post the replacement links below, DaveJ.

Posts Quantity
Hey DaveJ,

I don't like to play bad cop, but you must be aware that the featured track on your album, "Flying South", is actually a short recording that my friend Logan and I made about two years ago:

https://soundcloud.com/thanksmomanddad/unmixed-midimagic-featuring

To be honest I'm feeling strangely flattered by it, but I'm also pretty creeped out and bummed that you're selling something we made and calling it your own--We all know that doing so goes against quite a few principles we'd expect a proper artist to have.

So my question to you is, why?

-Mikey
mikeyholmes.bandcamp.com

While we're at it, there were a few times when I saw the same images Lost Integrity was using to promote his music used as Eyesix visuals as well, which confused me.

It was a little off putting, but I'm not sure what the deal was there so I haven't jumped to any conclusions, just...lost...at how that happened?
PLEASE LISTEN TO MY QUEER ELECTRONIC POP MUSIC: 2020k.Bandcamp |Twenty20k.com

Sherbet Head
adecentman wrote:Hey DaveJ,

I don't like to play bad cop, but you must be aware that the featured track on your album, "Flying South", is actually a short recording that my friend Logan and I made about two years ago:

https://soundcloud.com/thanksmomanddad/unmixed-midimagic-featuring

To be honest I'm feeling strangely flattered by it, but I'm also pretty creeped out and bummed that you're selling something we made and calling it your own--We all know that doing so goes against quite a few principles we'd expect a proper artist to have.

So my question to you is, why?

-Mikey

Mikey, apologies!! That track was sent to me and claimed to be made by him and gave me permission to use it on the album. I will of course remove it right now. Can I have your paypal info, i feel some money is due, and and explanation from Simon. I'm very sorry about that mate, I genuinely had no idea. Send me your paypal info here, or my email is jasondowd @ hotmail.com

to address the lost integrity thing, I have done alot of design for John, including all the work for 2060 records, his label, which I was supposed to be a part of.

Finally, Eyesix Records is a new label set up by myself and a friend, we have 2 new releases today.

I apologise again Mikey, my mate sometimes sends me tunes that don't suit his own output and i sometimes use them , rarely, but i'm going to have strong words with him over this. If you can get your paypal over to me I will send you 20euros (all i have right now) and remove the track from existence immeditaely. I'm mortified, sorry dudes. I'm gonna kill that guy

Well this is all very awkward isn't it. Enough said I think.

Slow down...

Sherbet Head
well i sincerely apologise and it was not actually my fault, how would I have know, the guy makes tunes. And Mexi, you know me, I have been doing eyesix etc for 4 years now, i'm not gonna steal a track on purpose. I can make my own, some are shit but thats the way it goes. I've also collabed with lots of artists off here.

I'm sorry this happened, but i'm willing to reimburse Mikey, and I will no longet be speaking to my 'friend'

Sherbet Head
and said track was removed from everywhere immediately, as it should be.

Dayvan Cowboy
Davej....GO FUCK YOURSELF

track 7 For a Dream, is actually a track i, Phaelam, and [d] did in 2004 called Melral. i did the initial keyboards and [d] reworked it into the track you posted AND ARE TRYING TO SELL AS YOUR OWN.

https://soundcloud.com/temp-name/melral-our-stolen-track

i DO NOT know you...you DID NOT ask us....

....look for some trouble my friend. you fucked up.

Dayvan Cowboy
i will assume since you ripped off Mexicola and myself...that more tracks on your "release" are also stolen.

pretty weak dude.

Posts Quantity
things are getting real with the net as ever before

Next

Return to This Random Sound